Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Ziploc - Glad vs Hefty

(9 posts)
  1. bbfiend

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 15:32:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Question : Which is better, Glad or Hefty? I am using both right now, though Glad seems more accessible in terms of obtaining them.

Opinions?

2. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 21:54:16
    #

Login to Send PM

How well do they seal?
    How easily do they close fully?
    How durable are they?
    is about how I'd break down the virtues of various bags...
    I've been using mostly Hefty 2 1/2 gallon zipper bags and Ziplock XXL big bags, the former for 'bureau drawers' and equivalent things, the latter more for longer term-- and as between those two, the Ziplocks are much harder to manage to close, (but secure once they're sealed) but they're also much more durable. The Heftys occasionally 'blow out' at the zipper area and their plastic is thinner and less durable... but the resident 4-year-old has proved able to open them, remove clothes, and close them again all by himself. (He definitely can't manage to close the Ziplocks by himself.)

3. bbfiend

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Sep 7 2009 23:07:18
    #

Login to Send PM

i am using the Hefty (i think it's also the 2-half gallon) as well as an assortment of the Glad. So far, all has held up, though some of the Large + XL Glad have broken near the base (maybe i've stuffed too much in them).

Still can't decide. Maybe if I can find smaller sized Hefty....

4. hoo2677

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 8 2009 10:03:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Ace Hardware online sells XXL Hefty Zip Locks, with the zipper. The other bags (you press and zip them) can come open, the actual ziplocks stay in place much better and don't come unzipped until after many many uses. You buy them 6 boxes at a time through them and it costs somewhere around 40. These are great. My clothes and books are still in them even though it's been 4 months no bites. You can packtite them unzipped, wait for them to cool down and zip em back up.

Portland, OR

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Sep 8 2009 11:07:15
    #

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, I found the same thing that Bugbitten Meg did. The Ziplock bags with the pinch it closed seals were a bit harder to get sealed, but it's more than a year since treatment, and I still have some of those original bags that I used (now mostly for other stuff like holding my recycling until I take it out), and those zippers are still going strong.

The Hefty sealed bags with the little sliding plastic zipper closure? A lot of those popped open and were unsafe for use even during the couple of weeks between discovering the bugs and my treatment.

The only Glad Ziplocks that died died because my cat chewed holes in the plastic.

6. bbfiend

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 9 2009 18:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

still waiting to see how the 2 types fare....

7. Emmm

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 1:35:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I've never seen these Hefty bags, but I'm no fan of Ziplocs. I often found holes (tiny, mind you) in the seams or at the sides of the zipper (especially-- most bags were duct taped there automatically), and the zippers themselves would fall off-- sometimes without much use at all. The plastic I don't like, either. I feel like it's too flimsy.

I read about dollar store bags on here, I think they're called Slide Away of Zipper Seal or something. They come in XL size with only one zipper (ziplocs do have the doubles, which are a plus), but I'm a huge fan. $1.50 for two (!!), the plastic just feels stronger (a friend who knows plastic says it's solid, too), and the sides of the zippers are pressed in to avoid the annoying holes.

Nothing's perfect, but those bags, despite the non-double zipper, get my vote.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 2:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Remember when XL Ziplocs had only one set of zippers? Ahh, those were bad times.

(I have been in the bed bug world too long. Arrgghhh!!!!!)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. bbfiend

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 11:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Gonna look into those Slide Away of Zipper Seal or something... thanks Emmm

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes