Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

You will never get rid of bed bugs. Never. Give up now.

(39 posts)
  1. ontheradio

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 1:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hate to break it you, but any "success stories" you read are false hope. Have bed bugs? Congratulations. Unless you get rid of all of -- and I mean ALL OF -- your possessions, this is now the rest of your natural born life.

Been trying, for about 8 months, to get rid of bed bugs. I have done everything I've been told to do. Got rid of my luggage, 3 purses, a couch, a bed stand, a mattress, all said mattress padding and sheets, at least 8 pillows. Washed and double-bagged everything that I wanted to keep. (Big mistake--should have tossed all my clothing, books, electronics, dishes, etc., but I honestly can't afford that right now.) I have had 5 professional treatments. I have sprayed every day for 30 days now on my own. My bedroom is so coated in diatomaceous earth it looks it snowed inside. Like, seriously. Over two grand in replacements, treatments, repairs, sprays, supplies.

Still getting bit. Still seeing them. Found 5 tonight during my nightly spray.

Give up. Stop taking advice on this forum. It will never end. Unless you can afford to get rid of everything you own (and have the bravery to throw out all your books, pictures, other sentimental objects) this is your life now. You're carrying bed bugs. For life.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but this is, in all honesty, the truth. Trying, right now, to save enough money to toss and replace all I own. Just getting out of college, so I'm not tremendously optimistic.

Life sucks. Bed bugs forever.

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 2:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Clearly you've had a rough time and are frustrated but just about everything in that post was wrong. Throwing away any of your stuff is almost always a mistake. You're spraying too much of god only knows what and you're grossly misusing DE. It seems likely that whoever you are paying for advice and / or treatments are not very competent. People can and do get rid of bed bugs all of the time. Can you describe your living situation? (apartment / single family home, etc?) Also, if you could post a photo of one of your specimens for the experts to ID that might be useful.

3. SteamingMad

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 6:57:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time right now. Anyone who has had them can relate to feeling overwhelmed.

A few questions (because, obviously, they can be beaten, and this site is one of your best sources of information) -

1. Do you have a photo of one of the bugs? Not doubting that you have or have had them, but some of the worst case scenario stories I've read here ended up not being bed bugs and/or other pests. You want to best advice possible to deal with the pest/mix of pests that you have.

2. Do you have adjacent neighbors? (I successfully got rid of mine the first time with steaming/vacuuming/DE, only to find the source was a neighbor's) Have you talked to them? What was the response?

3. Assume you're a renter? Have you talked to your landlord?

4. DE is meant to be used in a fine mist - bugs won't crawl through piles of snow, so it won't be effective. If you don't already have one, Amazon sells a little bellows like thing that makes it easier to apply.

Lastly - you need a break. When I was in the midst of this and feeling like life was never going to be the same, I found that giving myself time away from the cleaning/laundering/etc (even just an hour) was really helpful.

4. NY Bug Man

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 7:30:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear your having such an awful experience. I know of someone who had a very similar experience. Are you using a reputable well recommended PCO? Do you live in a building? Do you think the bed bugs could be coming from another apartment?

We all know how frustrating it could be, but were all here for each other. Sometimes this stuff gets you to your breaking point.

Maybe we could all help you instead. When did your problem start and what were the steps taken immediately after? Did you hire a PCO, or did your building?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 8:56:02
    #

Login to Send PM

As everyone else said, I'm so sorry you have had such an awful ordeal. At the same time, your experience is not typical and people can get rid of bed bugs. My impression is that almost everyone does.

When it isn't possible, in rare cases, we often hear of multi-unit buildings where landlords have let the problem go and are not detecting and treating all affected units.

I don't know if that's the case there. That said, if you answer some of the questions posed by others above, we may actually be able to help.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. ontheradio

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 12:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not have a photo, no, but I know they are bed bugs. I had them a long time ago in a co-op I lived in and I can recognize them by their very distinctive smell. I also have been living with this problem so incredibly and unbearably long that I know what I see, at this point.

I have neighbors, but they're not adjacent. I have people living a story up from me. I strongly suspect the bed bugs got in from my old apartment, which I had to vacate because I DID have adjacent neighbors and my landlords refused to treat all the units so, even after "successful" exterminations, the bedbugs would return. In other words, despite leaving so much stuff behind when I moved and laundering all my clothes, this is my fault.

I have talked to the landlord and this unit has been treated twice, but the problem persists. They're sending someone else this week, but these treatments are clearly useless.

After some very, very sad days, I've made the extremely difficult decision to toss my book collection, which includes all the books I've acquired since I was 16. My books are the only thing I can imagine the bed bugs could be getting in through, at this point and I assume their irreparably infected. Going to run to to the store later and get some very strong garbage bags to toss them all in. Crying just writing this. I'm also tossing all my luggage (brand new, some of it), all my purses, all my shoes, all my hats, and my winter jacket. Probably all the pictures I ahve up on my wall. Basically, I'm tossing everything I don't absolutely need from one day to the next.

Can I get into dishes? Should I toss those as well?

7. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 12:53:15
    #

Login to Send PM

You shouldn't toss anything. I know that it might not seem easy, but you have to try to relax and act rationally. It's unlikely that your books are infested, but even if they are, the insects will have to leave to feed, so proper treatment will get them. I'm still confused about your living situation. Are you in an apartment building? A multi-family house? The bugs could absolutely be migrating from the neighbour above. In that case you can treat all you want, but the source of the problem won't be eliminated. And even though you think you're sure, if you could find a way to post a photo of one of your specimens, that would still be useful.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 12:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I have neighbors, but they're not adjacent. I have people living a story up from me. I strongly suspect the bed bugs got in from my old apartment, which I had to vacate because I DID have adjacent neighbors and my landlords refused to treat all the units so, even after "successful" exterminations, the bedbugs would return. In other words, despite leaving so much stuff behind when I moved and laundering all my clothes, this is my fault.

Neighbors above and below can also send you bed bugs.

If you've had them a long time, they may have now spread to the new neighbors and may be coming back.

Attached units should be professionally inspected.

I have talked to the landlord and this unit has been treated twice, but the problem persists. They're sending someone else this week, but these treatments are clearly useless.

Many cases take more than two treatments spaced about two weeks apart. Three is not uncommon. More than three happens, but if they were space properly, at that point I would start to be more concerned about the PCO's skills and the possibility of reinfestation from outside (neighbors or otherwise).

However, I would not give up and start throwing things away. It's just the wrong approach and won't solve the problem, meanwhile you lose things you love.

How far apart were the two professional treatments spaced? And what about the other 3 professional treatments you mentioned earlier. Can we get a specific timeline here?

If treatments were more than 2 weeks apart, this may also have been a factor.

Did you ever use foggers or bombs?

After some very, very sad days, I've made the extremely difficult decision to toss my book collection, which includes all the books I've acquired since I was 16. My books are the only thing I can imagine the bed bugs could be getting in through, at this point and I assume their irreparably infected. Going to run to to the store later and get some very strong garbage bags to toss them all in. Crying just writing this. I'm also tossing all my luggage (brand new, some of it), all my purses, all my shoes, all my hats, and my winter jacket. Probably all the pictures I ahve up on my wall. Basically, I'm tossing everything I don't absolutely need from one day to the next.

Please don't throw out things you want. Some misinformed people gave me this idea too and I regret doing it.

Things you want can be decontaminated and saved. See FAQs on how to get bed bugs out of your stuff.

Moreover, if you toss out a bunch of things which do have bed bugs in them, a neighbor is bound to pick them up and this can start the cycle all over again (which can come back to bite you in the end, as well as other neighbors).

Can I get into dishes? Should I toss those as well?

Why-- can't they be washed in dish soap?

Bed bugs are highly unlikely to get into dishes (or even kitchens), but if they did, you can wash them.

Bed bugs hide in cracks and crevices.

They want to hide close to where you sleep, though sometimes they spread further. Things you do can make that more or less likely to happen.

9. SteamingMad

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 15:42:40
    #

Login to Send PM

You're having an awful time - I'm sorry. I had the same thoughts (about getting rid of EVERYTHING), and now I'm glad that I didn't, but I remember how that feels.

After some very, very sad days, I've made the extremely difficult decision to toss my book collection, which includes all the books I've acquired since I was 16. My books are the only thing I can imagine the bed bugs could be getting in through, at this point and I assume their irreparably infected.

You suspect this because you're upset, but you're incorrect. This isn't to say your books aren't infested, but that doesn't mean the infestation can't be eliminated. Don't toss things you love.

Before I really knew how to deal with my problem, I put bookcase worth of books in big Ziplocs and space bags, as a less competent PCO told me I had to do so before they could treat (which his company didn't, as I came to my senses and called for a second opinion). Sealing up things that may have bed bugs probably isn't ideal, but I'm glad I did that rather than tossing them. Now that I've been treated, I've been Pack-titing the books bag by bag. You can also follow the directions on no-pest strips and treat with those.

I threw out a lot of stuff. While I don't regret the resulting decluttering, I realize now that I didn't need to toss any of it.

10. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 20:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

This has been said in other ways before. But I think it has to be completely clear:

You are throwing your books out for nothing.

This is an extremely irrational gesture that you will regret for years to come, and perhaps will have a more devastating psychological result compared to the bed bug infestation that you MAY OR MAY NOT have.

I can recognize them by their very distinctive smell

If this was the case you would see them absolutely everywhere.

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  11. Reylani

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 14 2015 16:35:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, My family has been working to be rid of the suckers for nearly 2 years. I think this is the rest of my life, though I am finding it hard to accept as these are the most psychologically disturbing insects on the planet. . I nearly killed myself with diatomaceous earth, the heating treatment, throwing out many posessions, and just found one in my school backpack after about a month of literally living and breathing diatomaceous earth. I have found them in many of my books. I think it's time for me to give up. We keep thinking that they are gone, but they never have been. We inherited them with our new house. I believe there is no hope. Success stories- all lies as far as I can tell. Plus, I too can smell them, though nobody ever believes me, I know they are there. The smell is not the individual bedbug, however. It's the residue they leave behind, sort of their essence and is more prominent when they are large in number. They live in walls, not just beds, and crawl out of the power sockets onto the walls and drop onto you if there is diatomaceous earth on the ground, and even that doesn't seem to hurt them that much at all. I feel sick about this.... I don't know what to do, but this whole thing seems to be wasting tens of thousands of dollars.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 14 2015 16:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Reylani - 2 minutes ago  » 
    We inherited them with our new house. I believe there is no hope. Success stories- all lies as far as I can tell. Plus, I too can smell them, though nobody ever believes me, I know they are there. The smell is not the individual bedbug, however. It's the residue they leave behind, sort of their essence and is more prominent when they are large in number. They live in walls, not just beds, and crawl out of the power sockets onto the walls and drop onto you if there is diatomaceous earth on the ground, and even that doesn't seem to hurt them that much at all. I feel sick about this.... I don't know what to do, but this whole thing seems to be wasting tens of thousands of dollars.

Reylani,

Success stories are not a hoax. No one should be living with bed bugs for two years.

Please start a new thread and repost your message there. Tell us whether you are self-treating, if your home is a free-standing single-family home, and some experts here may have helpful advice for you.

13. Distressed in NJ

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 14 2015 20:34:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I hate to say it, but I've come to the same conclusion as "on the radio" and Reylani. I've been living with this problem for more than a year and a half and I've also had multiple professional treatments. It appears to be a losing battle, a never ending battle. I want to move, but fear bringing them along.

14. NightmareCreatures

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 0:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had bed bugs for almost two years. I moved from a multi-unit complex in Denver to a multi-unit complex in Kansas City. I first discovered them in Denver due to the bites and later seeing adult bugs. I was treated 6 times over the course of 8 months. Finally, I woke up with bites one day after a treatment, pulled up the sheets and found several adults. I had had enough and threw out my bed, box springs and frame as well as my couch. I sat in a camping chair in the living room for the remainder of my time in Denver. After tossing the bed my problem seemed to have been resolved. I moved to Kansas City a little over a year ago. I was relieved to be free of the mental and physical anguish of the bugs. A few months into my tenure my apartment was heavily infested by fleas. I had a PCO come out for fleas and was told that there was no infestation. My dog and cat were bloody from bites. I was beginning to be bitten as well. I changed my pets' flea control from topical to oral treatment and the fleas subsided. I was still being bitten though. My bites were not in typical cluster fashion, but they were large, painful welts. I lied to myself over and over and told myself it was fleas. After one very large, very painful bite I just kind of lost it. I overturned my apartment, flipping everything I was strong enough to overturn. And, then. There. On my floor board. One very large, very dead bed bug. I am a tough skinned man, but it was too much for me. I began to cry. I contacted my landlord and was treated as a leper. 48 hours to prep the apartment, kennel the pets and then the $450 fee. All the treatments in Denver were covered by the complex. Not this time. So, after $500 worth of fees and kenneling I was sitting on my couch in my apartment with that oh-so-familiar smell of pesticide. I knew it wasn't over, I didn't even unpack my trash bags or put my wall socket covers back on. 6 weeks later, bam. Here we go again. The PCO came back and found no signs of bed bugs. I had pictures of my bites, but no physical specimen. I had them spray anyway. $500. It's been about 6 weeks since that treatment and now I'm staring at a lovely cluster of bites on my wrist. My mattress and pillows are in the most expensive protectors that I could find. I've done nothing wrong. No new furniture, no thrift store shopping. I'm out of money. I'm out of hope. Success stories make me shiver with envy. Mine is not of that breed. I have accepted that I will suffer for the remainder of my time here. Good luck to those suffering and hope you have more restful nights than myself.

15. alma.

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 5:13:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you all sure you don't have frequent exposure to bed bugs?

16. alma.

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 6:37:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I probably won't get an answer since this is an old post

17. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 9:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

You will get rid of them but it is likely you have to toss most of your belongings.
    All depends on the building, floors, kind of furniture, how loaded your appt is etc.
    I tossed away most of my stuff.
    After 3 years I think I'm winning.
    For the car I don't have a solution yet and I don't have money to buy another one.
    I agree not all of the input on this forum is usefull, but than others are.
    Please ask if you have specific questions, we try to help.

You will win this fight.

18. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 4 2017 21:57:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BBuster - 12 hours ago  » 
    You will get rid of them but it is likely you have to toss most of your belongings.

I agree not all of the input on this forum is usefull, but than others are.

You will get rid of them.
    You will not have to toss your belongings.
    The final statement is wonderfully ironic, and true in this case.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 1:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have continued exposure to bed bugs (e.g. from untreated neighbors or other sources), it can be a persistent problem.

That doesn't mean bed bugs are untreatable, however.

Throwing your stuff away is not necessary for treatment. If you have a continued source of exposure, throwing your stuff away won't solve the problem anyway.

20. BBuster

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 6:12:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Throwing your stuff away is not necessary for treatment. If you have a continued source of exposure, throwing your stuff away won't solve the problem anyway.

Correct, but it makes the place easier to handle.
    I live very small and it was loaded with books, furniture, carpets and collectible items. There wasn't even room to vacuumclean.
    Therefore I say, it depends on how small or big your place is and how many belongings you have.
    For me personaly, throwing stuff away, was necessary.

21. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 5 2017 22:25:25
    #

Login to Send PM

@Nightmare Look up Cimexa and use it under the mattress, around the boxsprings, around bed and furniture legs, in cracks and crevices of your couch and along seems in your couch with a paintbrush. It's inexpensive and effective.

You can do it!

22. BuggedbyNight

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 6 2017 1:16:34
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a little disheartening. I've been fighting these things for over a year. I can't give up.

23. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 22 2017 6:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

While I keep seeing people on here say that most people get rid of bed bugs, reality is much different. If you catch them early, where they are contained, and are lucky enough to have access to a bed bug expert pco, sure, it's possible, even probable.

However, a lot of the time this is not the case. I know people don't want or even need to hear this, but it's reality and in 50-100 years, bed bugs are going to be a part of everyday life, mark my words. I know someone who has been battling them for 4 years, and they've pretty much given up since theyve already spent so much on the problem with no resolution.

You think most people who win don't come back to write success stories, sure, I could see why. But what about the people who lose and keep losing, you think they're going to keep coming on here time after time to hear the same thing... let's be real. By that time, they're broke, emotionally and mentally scarred and don't want to read stories about people in better situations than them. For every person that wins, there's 2 if not more who lose.

If your one of the lucky ones who caught them early and got rid of them or was able to shake them, feel lucky, cause there are people and families who aren't as lucky.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 22 2017 20:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski,

You have no basis for the claims you're making.
    Most people get rid of bed bugs without a star PCO.
    Basic competence is good enough even if it takes an extra treatment or two.

If bed bugs persist, the most likely cause is continued exposure, such as an attached neighbor with bed bugs. That's not the same as saying they're untreatable.

In some cases, people are unable to afford treatment and unable to do the work themselves, and that's a real problem.

Remember also that in some cases, people with stories about "untreatable bed bugs" don't actually have bed bugs.

I don't think threads like this are realistic or helpful.

25. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 22 2017 20:39:25
    #

Login to Send PM

NBs: Remember also that in some cases, people with stories about "untreatable bed bugs" don't actually have bed bugs.
    --------------
    I've seen a lot of that here. Very difficult to get rid of something you don't and
    in many cases never had! I'll go so far as to say that even less than competent PC0s can most of the time solve this problem with repeated visits. The really good ones can often do it in one visit depending on their treatment approach.

Richard

26. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 23 2017 4:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Man, what I would give to be one who thought I had bed bugs but actually didnt.

I'm sorry for my post here, I'm just almost to my breaking point. I feel as if no matter the route I go I'm not doing enough.

Its just hard for me. Been dealing with this for close to 5 months now and to see the lifestyle my family must live due to a freaking bug is literally making me break down even as a grown man.

Feeling optimistic is so hard when chemical resistance is real, the lack of quality pcos is real, and just the nature of this beast.

And knowing the specifics of my infestation, compared to others that have done everything right, have spent so much money, and yet could not get rid of them even in a single family home, does not give me much confidence in any choice I make.

I appreciate this site and how far my knowledge has come because of it and I agree, threads like this are not helpful whatsoever. But the fact there are situations out there like this is crazy and scary.

Again I'm sorry for my post in this thread, I have my down moments and if I were you, I'd delete this thread for the overall good for bb sufferers everywhere.

27. cantcallit2016

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 23 2017 22:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Mp7ski they are rough trust me I know had a really bad infestation back in 2015 got rid of my bed and furniture covered in blood and fecal matter but at the time I had never heard of a bed bug and getting rid of your furniture is not a have too case always mine was like 10 years old aw that and my old with all the stains but try going through my situation I have been going through getting bumps with no logic reason for over a year no signs of bb what so ever even spent months too see a allergy Dr. Last week who said they didn't look like bb bites so another month too see a derm. And I'm still smiling some days can be rough for any of us you can get rid of them just takes time....

28. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 17:25:10
    #

Login to Send PM

ontheradio - 3 years ago  » 
    Hate to break it you, but any "success stories" you read are false hope. Have bed bugs? Congratulations. Unless you get rid of all of -- and I mean ALL OF -- your possessions, this is now the rest of your natural born life.
    Been trying, for about 8 months, to get rid of bed bugs. I have done everything I've been told to do. Got rid of my luggage, 3 purses, a couch, a bed stand, a mattress, all said mattress padding and sheets, at least 8 pillows. Washed and double-bagged everything that I wanted to keep. (Big mistake--should have tossed all my clothing, books, electronics, dishes, etc., but I honestly can't afford that right now.) I have had 5 professional treatments. I have sprayed every day for 30 days now on my own. My bedroom is so coated in diatomaceous earth it looks it snowed inside. Like, seriously. Over two grand in replacements, treatments, repairs, sprays, supplies.
    Still getting bit. Still seeing them. Found 5 tonight during my nightly spray.
    Give up. Stop taking advice on this forum. It will never end. Unless you can afford to get rid of everything you own (and have the bravery to throw out all your books, pictures, other sentimental objects) this is your life now. You're carrying bed bugs. For life.
    Sorry to be pessimistic, but this is, in all honesty, the truth. Trying, right now, to save enough money to toss and replace all I own. Just getting out of college, so I'm not tremendously optimistic.
    Life sucks. Bed bugs forever.

I'd like to say you're wrong like some have done--but my experience in the past was the same as yours. Seven sprayings, a light infestation according to the bugman, but I still saw them in my bed and was getting bitten. I think the new ones were hatching faster than the old ones were dying. I thought I was doing everything right, too. I encased my mattress and box spring, was washing and drying my bedding constantly. I had interceptors under the legs. I had no clutter in the apartment at all, not even area rugs. My clean clothes were in a large plastic bin AND inside of that a large suitcase cover with a zipper. I threw most of my other clothes away plus nearly all I owned, quite a bit of memorabilia. I lost all sentimentality, just kept tossing out stuff. Don't let anyone tell you bed bugs don't hide in your hair. They do. How else did the bugs get back into my isolated bed?

I had to move. I couldn't live that way any longer. No furniture came with me except a couple of small items I could encase in a large lawn and leaf bag. Everything else that came with me was in a plastic bin with a tight-fitting cover. It worked--for four years. However, I don't want to be just negative but helpful. Plastic is the enemy of those bugs! Even a plastic bag tightly knotted and without holes contains them. Maybe I threw out too much but I really don't miss any of it. I had some nice paintings and I think I learned here that to wrap them in several layers of plastic wrap--the kind people use to cover bowls--["saran wrap"] is very good. I left them that way for a couple of years and saved them all that way. Of course, this wrap is good for other items, too. If you are willing to shut things up like that for a long time, I know you can salvage them. When I came to this forum for the first time I recall seeing a lady describing leaving her bug-infested residence with next to nothing. It struck me as extreme but deep down I had a feeling that would be me not far down the road. And so it proved. All I had was someone to come in and spray--over and over again. I cannot vouch for any other kind of treatment, but I doubt anybody ever gets rid of their bed bugs that way unless they had only one or two to begin with. Unfortunately, you don't see the one or two or are aware of your problem until you have quite a few. Some people don't even react to the bites.

29. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 18:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd like to say you're wrong like some have done--but my experience in the past was the same as yours. Seven sprayings, a light infestation according to the bugman, but I still saw them in my bed and was getting bitten.

I don't see anyone saying that some people don't experience a bed bug problem they can't seem to get rid of.

What people are pointing out is that such experiences don't come down to bed bugs being untreatable or mean that success stories are untrue.

You had seven treatments in an apartment building-- that's pretty unusual. It's likely that one or more attached units had bed bugs or there was some other form of reintroduction occurring. Grossly incompetent treatment seems rare but is possible.

Bed bugs in multi-unit buildings can be mismanaged. That's not the same as saying bed bugs are untreatable. It's not the norm that landlords handle things so badly that tenants have to move.

I am glad you got out and in some cases that really is the best option. I know some also don't have that option. It keeps me up at night.

However, you can't generalise from this experience that bed bugs are untreatable.

This thread is three years old and based on a false premise. Anyone have a valid reason for not closing it down?

30. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 25 2017 23:24:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 5 hours ago  » 

I'd like to say you're wrong like some have done--but my experience in the past was the same as yours. Seven sprayings, a light infestation according to the bugman, but I still saw them in my bed and was getting bitten.

I don't see anyone saying that some people don't experience a bed bug problem they can't seem to get rid of.
    What people are pointing out is that such experiences don't come down to bed bugs being untreatable or mean that success stories are untrue.
    You had seven treatments in an apartment building-- that's pretty unusual. It's likely that one or more attached units had bed bugs or there was some other form of reintroduction occurring. Grossly incompetent treatment seems rare but is possible.
    Bed bugs in multi-unit buildings can be mismanaged. That's not the same as saying bed bugs are untreatable. It's not the norm that landlords handle things so badly that tenants have to move.
    I am glad you got out and in some cases that really is the best option. I know some also don't have that option. It keeps me up at night.
    However, you can't generalise from this experience that bed bugs are untreatable.
    This thread is three years old and based on a false premise. Anyone have a valid reason for not closing it down?

While I think closing it down or even deleting it would be a good idea, I think threads like this are good at scaring people. This is a reality, though it may not be common, I believe it's more common than one would think, especially nowadays with chemical resistance and shotty pcos. I mean, I know 2 people in my small town who have had them for quite a while, one was treated extensively, tried moving twice and still has them, four years later.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the option of walking out with almost nothing or are lucky enough to find them early or find a bed bug expert pco. I didnt find them early and dont have access to a good pco. Am I just one of the few that may be stuck with them, maybe. I have dreams of walking out with nothing, but realistically that is not an option with my family of four. If I was alone, sure I would be confident in getting away from them and walk out with nothing, but again, I don't have that option. I'll spend my life savings trying to move my family using vikane and pray it works, cause if it doesnt, I most likely will have no other option but to learn to live with them.

31. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 11:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I seem to see the conclusion here that if you have multiple sprayings and the bugs still remain, you must be getting them from another attached dwelling. It's perfectly possible but that wasn't the case with me. I had seven sprayings. I knew everyone on my floor and no one complained of bugs. The management here was not judgmental and sent an exterminator at its own expense. All of our units are separated by concrete walls and this includes those above and below. I suppose these bugs could find a route somehow but, in my case, when I moved it was only across the hall and down a few units.
    No bugs found me there. The woman in this apartment [I am still in it] had died suddenly. I knew her well and that she was bug free [she would have told me if she suspected anything] so I purchased her furniture from her heirs. I had gotten rid of my own. Someone else got her large bed and I purchased a twin bed this time, one I could easily inspect on my own. [This is something I would suggest to a lone sufferer from infestation who moves for awhile, unless you have the strength to lift larger mattresses on a constant basis in order to confirm you are bug free. ] An elderly person like me can get along fine with a twin bed and, boy, was I ever inspecting it! I sat in my late friend's recliner and watched a little TV donated to me by my son-in-law until I got the confidence to purchase another couch and a larger television. Anyway, since I remained free of bed bugs for about four years, I think I can assume there was no one else on my floor who had uncontrolled pests. Once I had vacated that, my old apartment was sprayed again and I believe the carpets were steam cleaned, too, in some order. I think it stood empty for around a month or maybe more. The next tenant never had a problem with bugs. I got to know her well, too.

I am not saying the bugman who comes here was so great. In fact I lost confidence in him when he, a big strapping guy, had to be asked by me to move my sofa and spray behind it and under it. He was just removing the seat cushions and spraying them and the inside of the couch. In the back of my mind rests the possibility that a more thorough person could have dispatched my light infestation, but I don't know. Right now, I am again experiencing itching and what look like bites. If I have bugs again, it will be a new and different infestation. Yesterday I felt something on my face next to my ear. I picked off what looked like a tiny white worm under a magnifying glass, although it might be a squished immature bed bug. This morning when putting on my bra I saw a very small reddish brown thing stuck to it. But even under a glass I cannot tell what it is. Neither of these things was moving. I am already becoming paranoid, I suppose, and uncomfortable just being in my own apartment. If the weather was a little warmer, I think I would just get into my car, take only a few freshly washed and dried clothes and go to visit my daughter in another state. I would just sleep in the car when I became tired. It's a long way and still too cold to sleep in an automobile now. But I think a month with me not here would probably kill the one or two critters I have now--if I have any. I think my climb ups are due to arrive today. I think they are an excellent tool for catching bugs and I would probably sleep better knowing nothing can climb up the legs of my bed. I can't see anything and my Bissel Powerlifter hand vacuum [which I had purchased for my sofa, even though I have no pets] is picking up nothing suspicious from anything. It has a screen on the filter that allows nothing but dust to pass through and the nozzle is transparent. The only suspicious stuff is on me so far.

32. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 12:16:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Although the building may be concrete there are several passageways built in for line chases, drains, water supplies, electric service, etc... Most buildings back unit bathrooms to each other to cut down on materials and labor.

Yes, close this thread please; if it were true none of us volunteers would stick around.

33. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 12:48:51
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 28 minutes ago  » 

Yes, close this thread please; if it were true none of us volunteers would stick around.

Don't you think it might be a good idea to point to some success stories here for the morale of the rest of us instead of closing down the thread? It seems to me new failure stories are going to keep surfacing, anyway. If you think "impossible" is a lie, then why not combat it with testimonial proof to the contrary?

34. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 13:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Seems like the wrong thread to be searching for success stories. There's a success story as its own thread near the top of the list right now.

35. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 13:33:30
    #

Login to Send PM

You're right about the header of the post not indicating success but I do think it only fair for newbies who come here to know there can be failure and people who lose heart. Why sugar coat any of this? As for the success story--did you mean the one from the person in France? It was interesting to read but the infestation was not in her own home. That was never resolved while she was on holiday. She was staying in Spain and came back to France with only a few possessions. The bugs didn't come along. I do consider that a success story but you can't compare that to someone who is in his or her own place and cannot leave, has to keep on fighting in the same place.

36. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 13:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I see no sugar coating.
    You've been here a short time, relax.

37. hatethismess

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 15:20:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel you. I went to visit my mother and she gave me bed bugs. Well, her landlord did. Anyways. My oldest son was getting bitten, with bites that would swell up. We didn't realize it was bed bugs at first. I used Teat tree oil sprays because my son is allergic to literally anything topical or aerosol to repel them, and then I used peppermint and it worked fairly well. After six months of this, I bagged or plastic boxed EVERY SINGLE THING in his room with the exception of his clothes, which I washed on hot, and then dried. I threw out his bed and he slept on the floor for six weeks because he didn't want to sleep in my bed. I used bed bug spray and the TTO on his toys separately over that six weeks. In fact, I still haven't given them back. I finally actually saw the first bug and it is definitely bed bugs on my pillow. I then proceeded to buy diatomaceous earth and at the recommendation of a pest control specialist used it in a spray bottle with water. It dries as a powder, but it keeps it from being super thick and dangerous for my now six month old infants. It's sprayed EVERYWHERE in my home. Every. Single. Place. I have ripped up the carpet, I have gone into the walls and vents with my father who is a contractor, I have treated within the walls and the vents, and I have seen a total of 6 bugs. I have seen various skins. I have my son sleep on my bed, and the guest room and then in his room alternating every week because he's the only one who reacts to bites. Nothing. No bites show up. Yet we still have skins and we've had a few bugs visible. I have ripped apart my mattress (which has a foam inside and then springs and then an outer cover that can all be separated and we've treated all of these). I have worked with a pest control specialist, who hasn't even been able to locate or identify an infestation but has seen the bugs as I kill them and then keep for him to see in a sealed container. No treatments though because the quotes for my area are insane.
    I live in a single family manufactured home, on an acre of land. That I rent. My landlord and I are working together to figure out solutions because neither of us can pay the quoted treatement cost, but the specialist has worked with us to come up with the home solutions. Since no one can locate an infestation, no one can figure how to solve the problem. Oh well, I guess so long as no one gets bitten I shouldn't stress. I have to assume they'll die out sometime, since they're not biting the kid that reacts and the only bugs we've ever seen ever are adults. But right now I feel pretty hopeless. I change sheets every day, I keep our clothes washed and then dried and immediately zip locked and sealed with peppermint oil. I wash all sheets, pillows, and blankets every twenty four to forty eight hours, and I can't enjoy my kids. There is no possible other source of exposure except perhaps the yard. I'm ready to burn the house down and I think my landlord would even be okay with that course of action now.

38. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Apr 26 2017 17:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

hate this mess Post a new thread with this post. There are some things you are overlooking and we could be helpful with, but it doesn't belong on this thread.

39. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 27 2017 1:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

BattleoftheBug - 11 hours ago  » 
    You're right about the header of the post not indicating success but I do think it only fair for newbies who come here to know there can be failure and people who lose heart.

Battleofthebug,
    We have 577 success stories right here, in their own little forum. If you go to the main forums page, and scroll down, you can see forums divided by topic, and this one is called Success Stories. Enjoy!

hatethismess,
    Please do copy and paste your post above to a new thread. Here's the How to use the forums post in case you need help.

Everyone,

Yes, I am closing the thread. I am not deleting it. I generally don't delete things except in extreme cases.

I am not closing it because it's depressing, though it is, or because it's old, though it is.

I am closing it, so the thread gets less attention, because it's simply untrue. Even if you have a bad time with bed bugs (and we will do everything we can to help if that's true) it is not true that you can never get rid of them. The initial post above represents the feelings of someone having a hard time, but they're presented as facts which are applicable to everyone, and that's BS.

As Big Dummy put it so well, as he so often does, "if it were true none of us volunteers would stick around."

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

293,428 posts in 49,260 topics over 152 months by 21,591 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest