Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

You in San Francisco? Or anywhere in California?

(26 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 19:09:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Bedbuggers,

I posted this on the blog and as a general rule I don't want to repeat myself here, but this is kind of urgent. Some of you know I normally do not speak to reporters.

However, I did talk to one today (a PEN-award winner, at that) and I think she could have a great article this weekend in the SF Chronicle. But she needs some local Bedbuggers to talk to. (Who in SF wants to read about NYC bed bugs?!)

One way we can make the bed bug situation better is by talking to reporters about what bed bugs are really like. You can be completely anonymous.

Reporter Meredith May of the San Francisco Chronicle would most like to speak to San Francisco residents, but anyone in the region or even California as a whole would be good also.

If you're willing to chat with her, please email Meredith May at MMay@sfchronicle.com.

Time is of the essence--email her asap. She needs to talk to you before Friday at 5.

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Apr 4 2007 20:11:47
    #

Login to Send PM

this is the greatest help yet! I contacted her immediatly and sent the email to the one and only buddy whose email I know and who actually moved to another city because of the coninuous bb problem in his hotel. I didn't even know he had them--until after he moved. I also have the email of a few case managers in SF. I am sending them the info now. thanks nobugs!

3. u2dan

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 9:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Even though im on the other coast i still emailed this person. Its so important that EVERYWHERE bring this to the news. I even emailed two local nespapers, hoping that Boston learns about this too.
    The apartment complex i moved from seemed to be prettyu infested becuase THEY DONT DO IT RIGHT..whichis why i moved..and i was forced to pay the complex to move! i really miss my ocean view arrrghghhh!! I hate bedbugs.

4. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 9:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

that really sucks--I may also feel i am forced to move and I've got a great Northern exposure: an oil painters dream IIIICCCHH!

5. u2dan

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 14:25:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I just heard a sad story froma c oworker today. She is a mentor, and once amonth all mentors meet as a group to discuss how they are doing with their "mentee"

One girl came in sad, and they asked why so she explained that her girl she was mentoring said "Our house ha bedbugs (she lives in kind of a homeless shelter type of place). They gave us balck trash bags and told us to put everything we coudl in them and bring them outside. Well we did that, and then the trash truck came by and took all of our belongings, everything in those trash bags, our clothes, memories etc is all we had and now theyre gone..in the trash."

I almost cried when she told me this.

6. nightshirt

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 15:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

today as i was walking my dog at 5:45 am i saw the sanitatin truck hauing off peoples garbage - like kitchen cabinets, couches, carpets that they had disposed of in their apartment buildings and the super put on the side of the sidewalk for collection. i was wondering just this morning how much of that stuff has bb's, then the workers, notprotected in any way shape or form haul that stuff into the back of a truck and the masher mashes it. then landfill i think. bb hitchhikers. do they all now reside in stsaten island? on a barge in the east river? the spreadability factor. scary.

7. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 15:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I love you all but we are in the California room LOL. Am I the only west coaster? I did grow up in Westchester 10 miles out of the Bronx--22 years there before coming out here to "Sin City" or is that now Los Vegas...?
    Anyway ... here in the streets, a lot of homeless have congregated lately. Most are addicted to crack, have left or been evicted from their homes--and some are quite scandalous: most are forced into this lifestyles. The cops will come by and just load up all their stuff--or make them leave their stuff (FOR ANYBODY TO PICK THRU) and take them to jail, 90 % of the time. Bed bugs are no respecter of race and $ level, but there probably IS some correlation (I FEEL) that the poorer you are the more likely you'll get bed bugs FIRST. And you' most likely be the one's who get them over and over again. The more Think about what is or isn't eating my skin right now, the less and less I want to think about it. 5 weeks into it--and I'm still chucking stuff as servile and as secretively as I can--into the apartment dumpster: we're not even allowed near our own fenced in dumpster anymore: it has either to do with spitefulness of the weird manager or there is some law that said since she bought a very expensive grill--for staff to barbeque for themselves only--we have lost access to the dumpster.
    When that first happened 1-1/2 years ago ... I was the "Rosa Parks of the building. I broke two stupid "should not's in the same day:
    1--I went thru the wide open door with a breeze blowing in thru it that they had marked: Danger only personnel past this point and I dumped my trash like we all had done for years in this building.
    Later that day--get this.... I rose Eyebrows when I sat on the arm of a very sturdy heavy duty covered wooden chair--in stead of squarely in the seat.
    We are All the Rosa parks of Bed Bugs! The vanguards fighting the disease like bug of the 21'st century,
    (I know I'm not the first to say it--but is feels so good typing it.)
    I'm so thankful to no bugs for making the call to Meredith May, out here in CALIFORNIA
    It is true--I only had some of the guts--not all of the guts. I'm O.K. with that, being I'm only a notch or two "Up" from having to live in shelters and streets and go through all that.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 20:48:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Note: I started a new thread and moved the DDT conversation there.

You can discuss anything within reason, but please start new topics where appropriate!

9. BeenBedBugged

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 21:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

self deleted

10. BeenBedBugged

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 21:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

oops, sorry, I composed and posted the above before I saw your post, NBOM!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Apr 5 2007 23:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

No worries!

12. ofallthebeds

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jun 14 2007 13:00:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Too bad I wasn't around then... I would have so spoken to this woman. Because people need to understand that ANYONE can get this. I live clear across town from where WIllow is... so it has NOTHING to do with area, class, race, whatever else demographic people want to tag to it. Heck... people probably would start saying that it is because I am an immigrant (even if I am not... I am actually an SF native... but I just happen to be of one of those minority groups I am sure they would like to blame for anything... especially here in California!) I wonder if this story ever made it out. I will research it... maybe she can do a follow up. Anything to wise people up to what is going on... so strange that it is such a secretly kept thing! Lately I have been seeing A LOT of mattresses dumped on corners in my neighborhood... I am so paranoid about them... could it be that they were discarded because of BBs? The other day I saw two young women sitting on a disposed of couch on a street corner just sitting there.. reading or something... EEEWWWHHH! They probably had BBS now... Well.... if anyone else strolls by here... I am from SF too along with Willow. ~OATHB

13. BBsBlow

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jun 14 2007 20:26:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Was this article eventually written? And Willow, did you participate?

14. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jun 14 2007 20:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

It was a short not too educational artice in the Sunday SF Chronicle. 7 weeks ago?
    now ... -Blow ... if I HAD participated? (This is a secret -Blow) But take your best guess my sugar pie my -Blow? Let's say if I had I would not use my real name--and most of what I said was not printed. At least it was a start. I Miss you
    -Blow! And I'm the only one who always spells your name right -Blow, even though it is a hard name for me to spell out -Blow (I'm left handed) -Blow)
    How's how's it going? What's blowing -Blow?

15. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jun 14 2007 20:49:14
    #

Login to Send PM

dear ofallthebeds if you need any help feel free to pm me anytime. I'm not a ganster or anything, just sort of stuck living down here with these people

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Jun 15 2007 1:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

It's here, Blow:
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/08/BEDBUGS.TMP

I thought it was pretty well-done. I am biased but I am not saying that because I was interviewed, but because-- as you see on the blog-- few media articles come out that aren't full of misinformation. This one wasn't and in fact contained a do's and don't's with information gleaned partially from our FAQs.

Meredith May is an award-winning journalist, and I'd seen some of her work, so I was glad she did the story, and she was the first journalist I agreed to speak to, though I'd been asked a number of times before. (She also donned a Tyvek suit and went out on multiple inspections, so she is one of those who really does the work of investigating.)

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Jun 15 2007 1:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, the bulleted do's and don'ts seem to have been moved. But were there originally.

18. ofallthebeds

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Jun 15 2007 10:18:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow: I sent you a PM the other day... I would love to chat with you... and why would you think I think you are a ganster... HEY! And why are you calling them... "these" people... I know people that live down there! Rats... it would have been cool if you were a ganster though... I love gangster movies! LOL... CHeck you PM's! =)

NoBugs: What is a Tyvek suit???? I read somewhere around here that someone was sleeping in one? Isn't it better if they do bite? So they get to the areas sprayed? I am a bit ignorant as to how that part works and I have been concerned that they are getting poisoned because I have not gotten a bite since last Wednesday... But something bit me today... odd... the bite was gone in 2 hours... not my usual reaction... could it be that I am not reacting anymore... oh no!

19. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jun 20 2007 23:47:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ofallthebeds
    Yeah good talking to you too. You sound like one of the other women I have spoken to on phone--same name too. For the first minute, I thought it was her, as in, the same person with two different online blog names. That or she was playing a joke to cheer me up.

But your legit--it’s so odd; I'll have to hook you two up so you can hear yourselves talking to each other.

We have a family-like atmosphere on this blog with a bond that most other Blogs can't match: I mean ... joining a bed bug blog--And this is the finest and most well rounded IMHO--Well ...it's kind of like righteous and it tallies up there with stuff like:
    telling your brother your gay,
    your first divorce,
    literally crying in public for the first time (in adulthood over a gangster-bug blood sucking you blood every night)

And Be bugs they are always falling over on it's backs I think the closer to death the harder it is for them to right themsleves again--Either that, or its te California Fog.
    Most New Yorkers thing Sunny Califonia" when they think of California--ha!
    So yea ... ya know.... it's like family time here--sometimes. Most of us are from NY--Myself included, as Think I said on the phone to you:

BTW--Do you remember the sitcom "All In The Family” With the bigot dad, the ditzy, ding-bat wife, the lazy hippie, stooped from low self esteem son-in-law--and semi-freaky wife: who could not recall All in the family.
    (Well ... I'm going to let you in on a little secret ... we” New Yorkers" like to argue about pesticides! ... Some of us--but not I). So, in those threads the "New York attitude" REALLY comes out in some of "THOSE" posts--with a quality similar to Arguments at the Dinner Table in the T.V. sitcom:"All in the Family"

So far as I know ... nobody here has called anybody "a pinko fag" or a "meat head" or "ding bat!" Archie Bunker's (Carroll O’Connor’s role's) nicknames for some of his family members.
    we get edgy about pesticides ... see ... so don;t ,ess with us Cement and to the bottom of hte bay you go kiddo--just kidding. that's my gangster talking.

Let me tell you something ... I shy away from the political and pesticide debates. I spend my bed bug thinking time--these days--on creative solutions so I can learn all I can about them--and write a book and a Movie:

Willow

PS we are in the California room so I am on topic. The other half of me, the "West Coast side" tends to wander aimlessly ... often with no intent ... just like bed bugs lol

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jun 21 2007 1:32:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Willow, Am I "Meatloaf"?!?

OfAll,
    No--luckily, the bed bugs do not have to BITE you to die. They have to want to bite you, sense you're there, and come out to make contact with pesticides and die. They MAY bite you, but think of it as the last meal served to a condemned bug. (If everything is working as should be, that is.)

Tyvek suits are those white all-in-one suits that Hazmat cleanup crews wear. Some of the PCOs in some of the videos on the blog links show people wearing them to treat homes. Most PCOs apparently don't (I assume it's a budgeting thing). It makes it a bit easier to not take your work home, if you're a bed bug - fighting PCO.

Meredith May, the reporter, went out with a bed bug dog and I warned her to be cautious. I would hate for someone to be doing the good work of journalism and take home an unwanted visitor. I think she was quite careful.

21. nightshirt

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jun 21 2007 12:36:30
    #

Login to Send PM

just read the article. i was proud of us pioneers. thanks to everyone here for making this site so easy for newbies and theraputic for oldies.

22. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Jun 21 2007 23:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

you are very rare nobugs

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2007 0:53:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Cheers, Willow, you too

24. ofallthebeds

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Jun 22 2007 4:31:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Willow.. .Hi NoBugsOnMe!

It was great talking to you WIlliow. I have just been taking abit of time off from the computer... sometimes reading over and over depresses me!

THings seem better. My place is looking different.. I am meticulously getting rid of things bit by bit. Washing and throwing... destorying. I have gotten 4 bites since my 1st PCO visit 2 weeks ago. I think it is calming dow... and I think I am developing a resistance to the bites... they aren't welting as large... or could it be they are smaller bugs? Who knows... from what I have seen around here it makes no difference.

Today Friday is visit #2. WIsh me luck... I am hoping 3 visits will do... I have yet to spot any other critters... just the two from 2 weeks ago. leTS KEEP IT THIS WAY FOR MY OWN PEACE OF MIND! I am going to post a pic of the 1 I have in a ziploc... it is still alive... taunting me... argh!

Thnaks for the info NBOM - It is good toknow that they don't necessarilly have to bite me! And that is what a Tyvek suit is... ok... don't think I can have one of those on me... that is too much!

Well.. off to bed... late again!

25. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Jun 23 2007 11:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a theory that smaller younger bugs may leave less of a reaction--so it could be that. If so ... it's a good sign. It could mean that immature bugs are biting you, (one's unable to reproduce yet).
    With bed bug bites, it's hard to say--but S., a member, had done a bite test with the PC0 in his office. The nymph that bit her, compared to the adult, showed about 25% less severity in her total immune response. However, we can't say definitively, that that was scientific in any way, yet I do believe this to be true, in most reactions.

I figure the mouthpart is smaller and the smaller bugs probably have less of whatever it is they inject into us (the numbing agent) so the immune reaction could easily show less. You could look at S., Bite test (three parter from the blog almost 2 months ago). Some others have reported that their bites were getting smaller too as treatment progressed to a point where you could imagine all that was left biting them would be the immature bugs!
    I'm being optimistic--so I believe this is so.

26. ofallthebeds

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jun 24 2007 3:36:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Willow.. I hope this theory is right my poor eyes strain looking for these little things... I have yet to see an adult and lets just keep it that way! I was not able to stay at my place yesterday... the smell nothered me too much... good old asthma... but I am here tonight and ready to go be bug food if need be. For extra measure I will have them come back a third time in 2 weeks.

Here is to being optimistic! Nite!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982