Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Yet another "should I take action" question!

(3 posts)
  1. bugquestions

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 11 2011 12:13:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I have been obsessively reading this forum all week. I really hate to be yet another poster listing all the signs and symptoms of POSSIBLY having bed bugs, but I really haven't read anything too similar to my situation.

I live in Boston. I just moved into a new apartment (and by "just", I really mean a week ago). The building is a big 'ol house broken up into 4 or 5 apartments. The house doesn't seem extremely old, and our basement apartment has new hardwood flooring, new carpeting in the bedrooms, very modern and still looking quite new. My roommate has been living in the apartment for 2 years with a previous roommate who moved out to live with her boyfriend a week ago.

End of boring logistical crap.

My whole first week sleeping there, I accumulated a few bug bites. They didn't itch too horribly, they weren't in weird patterns, and we do live in a basement apartment so there are bugs... no big deal. About 4 days in, out of curiosity/boredom, I Googled "getting bitten overnight" and of COURSE every search brought back bed bugs. I know this was mere days ago, but I don't remember what the bites looked like at that point. Of course AFTER I read 24-hours worth of bed bug material... suddenly my bites became uncontrollably itchy welts and are in 3 triangle patterns -- one triangle per knee, and one behind the knee (which has oddly subsided into just 3 red dots. My knees are still inflamed and itchy and only slightly better.)

I digress. As soon as I even READ the words "bed bugs" and had an inkling in my mind that my bites could be related, I tore my room apart. Sheets were perfectly clean, etc etc etc... the usual "don't see any signs." However, I immediately thought about the fact that when I moved, I had hardly anything to my name... I purchased a couple things at target, brought a nightstand with me (from an apartment that we've never seen/suspected bed bugs at ALL), but... dun dun DUN... I had accepted a futon mattress and wooden frame from a very clean music-teacher-couple. Oldest trick in the book.

I couldn't SEE anything, but I didn't care. Dragged (rookie mistake) that sucker right out of the apartment and got rid of it. Vacuumed the hell out of my room, and in the corner of my bedroom where my bed had been... a dead bug looking SUSPICIOUSLY like a bed bug. I, of course in extreme fear, sucked it up in the vacuum. Stupid!

Washed/dried ALL bed linens/pillows/duvets in hot water, followed classic procedure. Am now sleeping on the floor and won't be purchasing a new bed until I'm sure we don't have bed bugs. Reminder here: I have no proof except a few bites and saw a dead "bed" bug (looked crispy, FYI. Didn't appear to be a recent death--no blood or poop.)

That was all on Sunday. Since then, I have accumulated no more bites. Sleeping on white sheets, inspecting room daily, there is no clutter... all appears to be good and well.

So why would I find a dead one? What else could have killed it? Time for the age-old question... can there ever be just one? We do have a large house centipede population that is said to get rid of bed bugs. Perhaps that killed the dead one.

Is it possible that if we even HAD them, I got lucky (can one ever get lucky in terms of bed bugs...?) and they were in the bed? Having only lived in the apartment a week, it seems strange that they would have nested elsewhere. But, stranger things have happened.

ONE MORE THING: I received the futon and mattress about a month ago from friends and the frame had been chillin on the back porch, the mattress had been behind our couch at my previous apartment. Not a single bite or bug to be seen while living there--so not positive it was the bed at all, either.

I know if I get any replies they will all be "there's never just one!" and "better safe than sorry" but I'm taking a shot in the dark to see if anyone has -- god help me -- had a similar situation where they were perhaps wrong. I know 4 days of inactivity (can it be inactivity if there was no activity in the first place?) is nothing... but I'm just going crazy here.

Help. I beg of you.

2. paroniodandfreaked

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 11 2011 22:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel your pain! I have had a similar situation in the last week were I got a few bites 2 nights in a row.

I ripped my room apart to find 1 bug that also looked suspiciously like a BB. I also scoured the forums and decided to launder everything I could, and bag it into ziplocks before returning it to the dresser, which i dusted the legs with Insectigone containing DE and cleaned with alcohol and murphy wood oil.

In my super thorough search I have found nothing else that would make me suspect that there are any other bugs around. I haven't been bit since, but I did lay a dusting of the DE powder on my bed frame and covered the mattress in a vinyl cover after not finding anything on it and giving it a spray with alcohol before sealing it up. I also dusted the legs of anything that touches the ground in DE dust and the perimeter of the room.

So far so good, so maybe if that's what it was I got it? And I have a super ridiculously clean room to show for it! Good Luck!

3. DamianWayne

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 20 2011 23:05:16
    #

Login to Send PM

honestly, I wouldn't risk it.

My room's been treated twice in the last couple of months. I haven't gotten any bites since, but I've never really reacted to bites in the past so it's a poor way to judge.

Just as I was about to put everything back into my closet/drawers, guess what I found tonight?

1 bed bug on my sheets, sitting there chillaxin'. Now I'm hoping its the only one I have - maybe a singular hitchhiker (I do live in New York City, lower manhattan), but I'm still going to take action.. time to call the PCO again.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me