Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Yet another question about bites -fleas or bb?

(6 posts)
  1. Christine21

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 3 2016 12:54:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I was here years ago and got some amazing advice (FYI, if anyone remembers my story of having found one adult bedbug after a delivery, it was indeed a bedbug and we LUCKILY!!!! managed to escape an infestation with immediate and thorough discarding, cleaning, sanitizing and one beagle-sniffer dog.. and, thanks for all of your accurate help and suggestions! Without the advice I got in this forum I would not have known where to start.).

That said, I spent the night at my boyfriend's place and woke up with an itchy cluster of about a dozen small bites/welts on the front of my shoulder. The patch is about an inch in diameter, is roughly circular and after the initial itch, is still there but has subsided to be unnoticeable. Not itchy, not painful, just there.

Of course, I immediately ripped up his mattress, pillow top, sheets etc and saw absolutely no traces of bb. He has no bites that he can point to. Worth nothing though is that his bed is the captain's style with open slats and drawers underneath.

Complicating things, we also have a very fuzzy dog who has been scratching a bit more than usual. My plan was to give him a thorough flea bath and combing this weekend, but until then - does anyone have any thoughts on fleas versus bb, or what else I can do? Is it worth it to pull all of his clothes out from underneath the bed and start roasting them in the dryer before we even try a flea bath? I'm trying so hard not to panic but I keep coming back to these bites on my shoulder. Thanks so much for any help.

2. vjayasha

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 3 2016 15:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Given we cannot say much about the bites I would immediately do a full round of inspection again around the bed and in the bed. After, I would de-clutter and yes I would if I were wash the clothes neatly and keep it away from the bed and I would empty the spaces under the bed for now just to be sure. I would immediately also attend to the dog and I think you can declutter at the same time. I would though get some detectors going too (climb ups at least) meaning just passive ones. Give it a good vacuum around the room too and just wait and see! Hopefully it will all go away! Just hang in there!

I do always read fleas mostly bite at the leg etc and I have seen this with someone at work but hard to tell anything.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 3 2016 22:30:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I remember you! Sorry you are worried and hopefully whatever it is will be detected and resolved quickly.

We have a flea FAQ with a DIY trap idea so you can rule them out.

After that, passive monitors may help you find visual evidence if bed bugs are present (FAQ on bed bug monitors).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Christine21

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2016 10:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I missed the flea FAQ.. thanks for the link!

I'm working on decluttering and washing.. I'll also set up the flea and bb traps, give the dog a bath AND go to a treat and release and pray this is a rash, lol.

Thanks so much for the help and allowing me a place to panic

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2016 0:23:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck! Don't panic and keep us posted.

6. Christine21

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2016 2:35:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the excellent flea faq.. We did find a small number of fleas, but also, it turns out the "bites" on my shoulder were the onset of shingles!

So two issues to deal with but happily not bbs. I can't oversell his great this site is and how helpful all you folks are. Commence operation: flea eradication

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982