Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Xmas trip to visit friend with bedbugs. Stay or go?

(9 posts)
  1. Ash

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 21:53:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your helpful forum. I need some advice: I have had a trip planned for months to spend Christmas in California with a close friend. He recently found out that he has bedbugs. My guess is that he has had them for about three months, ever since he brought in what I'm sure was infested used furniture; but he is only now actually seeing bugs and being bitten. He has recently called in pest control. They have inspected his apartment, advised him to wash everything, and are spraying for bedbugs.

During my eight-day trip, I had planned to stay in his apartment. From what I have read on this forum, just over a month until my trip (I'm supposed to stay there Dec. 22-29) is not enough time for the PCO to eradicate the bedbugs. Plus, I would be too paranoid anyway. Now, I am trying to decide whether it's even safe to continue my trip and stay in a hotel/vacation rental instead. Or should I cancel my trip? Can I get bed bugs from hanging out with my friend and driving in the car with him -- even if I do not stay in his apartment? I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. All the best to everyone.

2. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 14 2010 22:04:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Go somewhere else. I'm sorry. Too many unknowns such as a possibly lousy PCO or infested neighbor...

3. GotEmHA

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 12:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't stay in his apartment or get in his car -- there could be a problem in the vehicle too.

4. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 15:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I was supposed to host Chritmas festivities for several family members and neighbors. I have cancelled, as I don't want anyone in my home until it's been clear for a few months. The risk just isn't worth it. Take it from someone who knows.

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 15:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I hate letting these things rule our lives. I am personally of the opinion that if you know you are at risk, you can take precautions. If it was me I would definitely go and stay with the friend. Take a limitted number of possessions into the house and keep them in a plastic storage box. Change your clothes when you leave and bag them until they've been laundered.

If it is a relatively small infestation, the bugs are likely to be in and around his bed, so the living area will probably be completely fine. Just be vigilant and take precautions.

6. SearchandDestroy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 15:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess the real question is..if you go, will you enjoy the trip or just be worried all the time? The worry wouldn't be worth it..but if you feel brave and can go without anxiety, then go. If not..then maybe no.

7. so unsettling

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 15:58:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Although I agree with Richard that we shouldn't shut our lives down over this, I would still be uncomfortable about actually staying there. Like Toledo, I have opted not to hold traditional Christmas get-togethers at my place. I just can't stand the thought of anyone in my family or friends contracting them, especially the infants and toddlers. There will be many more Christmases!

If your friend realizes what is at stake here, I would think HE would raise the issue of holding off on this, as so many of us have. Have you discussed your fears with him? It's a hard thing to bring up with anyone, as we fear they may feel somehow rejected. But it is best to be up front about this situation, every aspect of it.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

8. Ash

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 18:48:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that there are bedbugs in the living area as well -- in his couch, which I believe he is getting rid of. Am I right to suspect that 1 month is not enough time to get rid of the bedbugs?

9. so unsettling

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 19:39:18
    #

Login to Send PM

In many cases, yes, that would probably not be enough time. 2 treatments would be done in a month's time, but no guarantee that would be enough. Your friend would have to keep watching, and it would be a while before he could think he had adequate reason to believe they were gone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,235 posts in 50,144 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago