Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Would u shop at Goodwill?

(14 posts)
  1. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 19:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to be an avid thrift store shop a holic at one point. In fact, most of my best outfits had come from Goodwill. I am not working now but about to start a new, temporary job, where I need to have a very clean cut and business casual look. Not that I don't mind this, because I love getting dressed up, I've been getting by on two or three "good" outfits for things like job interviews and the like. But, one shirt is no longer good and there are only two pants. I went to the mall and bought a new outfit today but that's just one outfit and the pants and vest together cost me $44. For the mall, that's not bad, but when you have no money it's a lot.

So, I can't see spending $25+ on basic professional shirts so I am considering a trip to Goodwill to stop up on some basics. However, I am scared you-know-what less at the thought of going and buying used clothing now.

I still find random pimples in odd places, like along my stomach or back of my arm but I try not to obsess over it. Last night I noticed a small dark spot on the ruffle of my bed pillow. Maybe it's been there and I just never noticed, it's very well set into the material and maybe it's nothing.

So it's still very much on my mind and I'd like to continue getting over this thereby making sure I don't make any mistakes.

So I want to ask others, would you shop at a Goodwill knowing what you know about these things? If so, what would you do?

2. lsdrg706

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 19:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

If it was something that would withstand the extensive heat of my dryer, I would. But probably not otherwise. My own fear leads me to this and I realize not all will share my opinion.

3. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 19:41:32
    #

Login to Send PM

This question has been asked a million times but how can we be sure clothing has cycled through our dryers long enough and at a high enough temperature to be really certain? Usually my stuff goes in, whenever I have been out somewhere, as soon as I get home at 40 minutes minimum on high. Usually when I stop the dryer to check, i just drop a meat thermometer into the center and close the door and wait a minute or two and if it says 120 or higher I am OK and will leave it dry for longer. I prefer when it says 140-160. The stuff coming out of the dryer and especially Packtite never seems to feel that hot, though. I have has stuff in the Packtite and even if my thermometer says that spot if the right temperature a lot of times things just don't feel very hot to me.

Even my brand new clothes go right into the dryer for 40 minutes when I get them home. I just seriously question this, how much we can rely on the dryer as a decon tool. What if there was something in your clothing and it finds its way out of the dryer early in the cycle before the dryer has had the chance to really up? Like under the drum or in the vent. Yeah I can go out and buy used stuff and run it through the dryer and washer and then dryer again yet I'd hate to have more confidence and do things I should not do because I think I am safer than actually am.

4. bugdefcon

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 19:50:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I still would. Just bag the clothes and wash them when you get home. Having encountered my first bed bugs recently, I'm in the bed bug paranoia phase. I temper that with the knowledge that I've traveled a lot over 20 years. Much in the third world where sanitation is not the best. This year alone I've stayed in the upper 10's of hotels/hostels. In over 2 decades, I've only run into bed bugs once. I don't know anyone else personally that has ever even seen a bed bug. It's easy to get wrapped up in bed bug paranoia since it's all over the news. In reality though, I still don't think it's that widespread. It's hard to find statistics about bedbug infestation rates. Almost everything you find is on websites that sell or promote bed bug products. Most of those have eye grabbing headlines like bed bug infestations up 800%!!!!!. Well.. considering that bed bugs were effectively wiped out in the developed world, something being up 800% from nothing can still be not much of anything at all. I haven't found a reliable source of bed bug infestation statistics. The only hard statistic I can find is out of New York where they note the subject bed bugs in calls to directory assistance. They got about 34,000 calls in 2010. Even that is very fuzzy since some of the calls were just people asking about how to find information on bed bug prevention. And of course there can be many people that don't call at all. But it's the best hard number I can find right now. New York has a population of about 8 million people. So 34,000/8,000,000 = 0.00425 or .4%. Considering that New York is considered one of the most heavily infested cities, that's not very much.

This is all my long winded way of saying, you have to weigh risk to benefit. As long as you take precautions like washing the clothes properly the risk is still pretty small.

5. MsLadybug

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 20:20:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Not just thrift stores, in furniture rental, theaters etc - ask them "What are you doing about bed bugs?". If they look at you with a blank stare - run.

6. help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 21:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

MsLadybug - 31 minutes ago  » 
    Not just thrift stores, in furniture rental, theaters etc - ask them "What are you doing about bed bugs?". If they look at you with a blank stare - run.

I do not go to movie theaters anyway, but particularly now. And furniture rental? You've got to be nuts. I would not have done that even before.

My mother always warned my sister and I, and she'd be tinkled pink for the accreditation, to wash whatever we bring home when we go to thrift stores because you never know where it has been or who wore it.

She was doubly vehement in her concern about us bringing anything home that we had pulled from the trash. She would say how her grandmother was always against doing that because you never know why it is in the trash.

We took for granted for a long time in America that in general people here do not have lice, etc. Bed bugs were just a night time saying about something people used to have years and years ago, way back in the primitive old days.

Well, as a country, we got too safe and abandoned any care that may have, if taken in how we lived our lives, prevented possibly this problem from reemerging. It maybe would have slowed the problem anyway.

Yeah, I see furniture rental trucks and nasty looking off market mattress company trucks with painted over print and graffiti, and I cringe.

I so wish I could take a certified K9 back in time to the turn of the century and inspect pretty much everything. The old movie houses or stage theaters, restaurants, etc. They did not issue returns on clothing in the old days but they were made locally for the most part and shop girls lived in crowded tenements, sitting side by side row after row for 10+ hours each day at their stations in full length skirts and petticoats, imagine. No dryers.

If they still hold the big NYC pillow fight (or has that been banned for sake of public health?) it'd be interesting to set a dog loose in the middle of it with his nose hard at work and wonder if it would keel over. Slightly joking but it's a bad bad bad idea having thousands converge with bed pillows and beat each others.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 22:04:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I've been thinking about this, too. In my case...maybe business clothes and then I would stop and wash and dry them at a commercial facility. Then, I'd probably run it through packtite 2 or 3 times (I'm paranoid).

I used to get furniture at consignment shops. Never upholstered, just tables and metal chairs (my parents would say NEVER get upholstered). I don't think I'd get a down coat or anything fluffy.

Until about a year ago, I used to sort for a charity. They didn't even provide plastic gloves. I would stop at a gas station and change clothes (and throw away the old sweats I'd wear to sort). I was worried about lice...not realizing other issues. People basically were putting a lot of trash at the back door. They used maybe 5% of what was given. My city now has recycling of clothes with other recyclables...because really...the majority of clothing donations are stained and too worn to sell. I'm allergic to dust mites and I would come home covered in rashes after the last few times. So, I stopped voluntering over a year ago.

Good luck!

TAOT

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. bugdefcon

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 22:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's an example of my current paranoia. I'm running my laptop through my bed bug death chamber. I'm doing this on the back porch. I just went out and saw all these little bugs running about and my first thought is they are pouring out of my laptop!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't matter that my laptop is in a big ziplock and the chamber is sealed. I open up the chamber and there's nothing inside. But I'm still wigging out about all these little 2mm bugs running around. I use tape and catch a few of them to have a closer look. That alone should have alleviated my fears. It took a while to catch some since they would jump away. Bed bugs don't jump right? My heart sinks as I look at one and it seems to have that striping that bed bugs have. But then I notice that the antennae are too long and the body is too thin to be a bed bug. What put me at ease was that I went to the front yard and there are a bunch of them running on my driveway. Even if they got out of the ziplock and the chamber I don't think they could make it in mass to the other side of the house. I was seriously freaking out for a minute.

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 22:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugdecon:

Sorry to hear your story. Hope it gets better.

10. VictoryIsMine

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 23:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I have [/i]always[i] washed newly purchased clothing items before use. The difference is before, I just did so with the weekly laundry, now I'll surely at least packtite it even before wash, if it's going to be lying around in the laundry stash for a while (even though I just purchased a BB Laundry bag, which keeps your laundry zipped safe until it's time to go in the washer).

While I personally never really bought anything from a Thrift store, if all you're purchasing is clothing items, I'd think following the same safe protocol as with new items should keep you safe. Be careful with how you bring it home, too. If it's going to be in your car, seal it, so that no possible bbs can escape.

11. MsLadybug

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2011 0:08:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Since starting my business I have been apalled at the way thrift stores and hotels especially have been completely in denial about the bed bug epidemic. I offered the local SVDP Thrift store free inspections weekly and they have yet to return my call. While getting the business up and running I offered to do free inspections at several local hotels, homeless shelters and the mental health clinic and not one of them have taken me up on it. I wanted to provide a community service and keep my dog tuned up until work started coming in and they want nothing to do with it. I guess they figure if they don't know they aren't liable? That's the only thing I can think of.

12. bedbugsuptown

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2011 0:20:37
    #

Login to Send PM

[quote]I used to be an avid thrift store shop a holic at one point. In fact, most of my best outfits had come from Goodwill.

This is a topic that may bedbuggers would want to weigh in on, most likely post infestation. Like after several months have gone by without any sightings of bb's. My last bugger money was spent on an inspection from KillerQueen's Co. NEGATIVE. Your suckers are history.

It's natural to have some doubts. I felt some pricks and pings not infrequently. I think there may be some fleas in my apartment. I found something I think is a flea in my bathtub on wednesday nite. It was half dead. In the morning it was dead; dead in a tiny zip lock bag.

Regarding thrift shops/second hand shops/etc.....well, it's kind of like the discussion of bb bites. There is no single reaction. And that's how it is with thrift shopping etal. You make a decision based on your own particular sensibilities/knowledge. Okay.....the old bedbugger adage; I'm not a PCO but.........! To thrift or not to thrift--it's a no-brainer. If you find something fantastic and have a packtite, you know what to do.

Another no-brainer. If you are uncomfortable with thrift shops--don't think twice; stay away, because an ex-bugger has to do what h/she is comfortable with. Me, personally. I'll not go into an Abercrombie & Fitch, anywhere! And just for the record--A&F is not my style.

13. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2011 1:47:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I still buy from thrift stores, but I'm very careful. Before I get in my car, I tie the bag so it's air-tight, and when get home, everthing goes directly into the washer. However, I draw the line when it comes to stuff I can't throw in the wash (I don't own a Packtite). I used to love old furniture, antiques and stuff, but it's just not worth it.

14. makesmenuts

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2011 20:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I never, never, never would shop at a thrift store for anything that could potentially be infected, nor would I buy such items secondhand anywhere (yard sale, rummage sale, classified ad, etc.). People might sell something and not even know they have BBs. I'd rather pay for a new item; if I end up with BBs (again), I know all too well that I'll end up paying more in the long run to get rid of them, not to mention the emotional toll.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14