Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Would not let son into the house

(6 posts)
  1. Alberta has bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 0:06:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I give people credit for going through this and coming out the other side, although I suspect changed.

I have had a thermal treatment with DE and Dr. Doom afterwards.

I am still not confident after 12 days, and have yet to bring the bagged stuff back into the house.

It was my birthday last week and my son who is a teacher came into town to attend a conference and we went for a birthday supper. (At my age this is all I want now.)

He came to the house when I had asked him not to and did not want to let him in. Scared of hitchikers etc.

I checked myself for bugs and we went in seperate vehicles. I constantly looked at the rug and tables at the restaurant. Any itch I was inspecting myself and this did take away the enjoyment of the occasion.

I had managed to save his trophy's, hockey jersey's and books from the University as well as photo's and letters from his girlfriend who is now his wife. For the most part I tossed a lot of things out of the house, but kept some.

For those of you who rid yourself of this insect, I applaud you and wish you continued success.

For those of you struggling with this insect, keep at it and come out the other side.

I beleive I will be affected by this for some time and will be on high alert for the immediate future, this may take some of the fun out of life for awhile.

Point of fact is,....... instead of giving my son a hug as we parted.........I shook his hand.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 0:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I am sorry to hear that, Alberta Has Bugs. I hope your bed bug problem is gone now.

Were you worried about your son carrying bed bugs on him because he had been in a hotel or because he has a problem at home currently? (Sorry, I can't remember all the details from your other posts.)

Even if your son is in a hotel, it may not contain bed bugs. Most rooms probably don't. And even if, let's say there are some bed bugs in his room, the likelihood that (a) they are on him currently and (b) that they get from him to you would I guess be very, very small. And even if you did get a bed bug from him, you do have the residual spray and dust down, which would probably kill a straggler.

I know why you might feel like not hugging anyone. Lots of people are very fearful, even irrationally so, after dealing with this problem. If that's the case here, I hope you'll be able to get past that soon and that life will be as enjoyable as before. Some people find therapy helps.

Most people seem to get there, though we might be a bit nervous for a while in general, and then later, more nervous than some people about what we consider higher risk situations. There are ways to alleviate risks, but I firmly believe you still have to live life and enjoy being with loved ones and in places you want to go.

I hope you were able to communicate about your fears to your son. My heart goes out to you both.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Alberta has bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 0:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the kind words.
    It was actually the other way around, I was scared of him getting them from me.
    I have even banned my brother from the house for the next 50 day's.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 0:48:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Alberta has bugs - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the kind words.
    It was actually the other way around, I was scared of him getting them from me.
    I have even banned my brother from the house for the next 50 day's.

Sorry I misunderstood!

In that case, I hope you feel more comfortable soon.

Thermal is supposed to be a one-shot treatment, done properly by experienced professionals. What kind of technology was used?

Do they normally apply pesticide sprays and DE afterwards? Or did you do this?

5. Alberta has bugs

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 2:08:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I had applied the Dr Doom after the Thermal. The reason I had it was I went to a pest control place and they said I should be able to take care of the infestation myself. I decided that I could not and went to another company to get Thermal done.

The tech who came from the company applied some DE along the baseboards, bedrooms and kitchen for me before the Thermal, to give me some peace of mind. They then did the Thermal a week later. I then proceded to put more DE down.

2 days later I seen a bug where there was not a bug before, it was not moving, but did look dehydrated possibly from the DE or residual.

I am worried that I may reinfest the house and have vaccumed the truck, but have also sprayed DR Doom and let it sit for a few days.

The company did give me a 30 day warranty and from what I gather would have used DE as well, as part of their management system.

I should have kept more stuff in the house for the heat treatment, but now have to wash and dry a lot of clothes, linens and coats.

The bed was dragged out of the house with plastic on the floor, however after reading the Forum's found this was not a very good idea. Real worried about them living outside and reinfesting.

I put down DE around the entrance as well as where the truck was at the time. Washed the cat and checked the dog's bed outside.

I do have itchiness maybe caused by the DE/Chemical or the carpet beetle remains that you mentioned in a different post.
    Even at work I itch all the time and have crawling sensations up and down my legs.

I personally am still so spooked about it that I have not let anyone into the house and tried to maintain a 4 foot radius around me.

However this Forum has been wonderful to learn and gain knowledge about the BB battle.

Thanks for putting this Web-Site up and maintaining it.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 13:48:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck to you, Alberta:

I came to the forum looking for information on tools...what is so sad about this pest is the impact on human relationships. I hope you feel safer soon. In your shoes, it would be a while for me. Take care.

TAOT

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993