would i get bed bugs just by walking on the street

(5 posts)
  1. Kwashington82

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 22:42:02
    #

Login to Send PM

i mean if there was infested furniture that i walked passed when i was outside would a bed bug try to jump on me also im in a wheelchair would they be stuck on my wheel also i have a dog when im walking my dog how likely will they itch a ride with her i mean the way people talk about them i feel like i need to wear a protective suit everytime i step out my house its like a plague or something

2. VictoryIsMine

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2011 22:57:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, that made me laugh!

I don't think your scenarios are impossible, just not very likely.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2011 2:02:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Kwashington82,

It's fairly common for folks who've recently been exposed to bed bugs, learned about bed bugs for the first time, or discovered an infestation to become--for lack of a better term--hyper aware of possible vectors of infestation that they hadn't considered before. For example, once I discovered bed bugs, it was like someone had put Bed Bug Vision glasses on me, and all kinds of things seemed like really crazy risky. (I vividly remember several moments of thinking that upholstered seats on public transit were clearly very bad ideas! And why were such risks allowed!?!?)

Once you are bed bug free and have a few months of life returning to something closer to the new post-bed bug normal, it may be easier to be less aware.

I realize that doesn't sound like I'm answering your question, but it's really important background to the answer I'm going to give.

Is it statistically, theoretically possible for a person to pick up a hitch hiking bed bug just from moving around the world outside their home?

Well, yes.

The more useful question is is that a likely scenario. In that case, the answer is definitely no.

Bed bugs are not like fleas that live on the thing they feed from. They are not like ticks that lie in wait to drop onto an unsuspecting passerby.

Bed bugs if undisturbed are basically pretty lazy creatures. They'll harbor near the place that the blood meal provider sleeps. They will only come out once every few days to feed. It doesn't actually take them all that long to feed, and then they go back to their little hidey hole again.

It's possible that if your chair were next to a heavily infested item and you were still enough, a rogue hitch hiker could decide on a little change of scene, but the item in question would likely have to be very heavily infested for that to be especially likely to happen.

My cat moved around my apartment the whole time I had my infestation, and she didn't spread the bugs because I didn't do anything to disturb the bugs (since I didn't know that they were there, and all.)

4. Kwashington82

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 14:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 5 days ago  » 
    Kwashington82,
    It's fairly common for folks who've recently been exposed to bed bugs, learned about bed bugs for the first time, or discovered an infestation to become--for lack of a better term--hyper aware of possible vectors of infestation that they hadn't considered before. For example, once I discovered bed bugs, it was like someone had put Bed Bug Vision glasses on me, and all kinds of things seemed like really crazy risky. (I vividly remember several moments of thinking that upholstered seats on public transit were clearly very bad ideas! And why were such risks allowed!?!?)
    Once you are bed bug free and have a few months of life returning to something closer to the new post-bed bug normal, it may be easier to be less aware.
    I realize that doesn't sound like I'm answering your question, but it's really important background to the answer I'm going to give.
    Is it statistically, theoretically possible for a person to pick up a hitch hiking bed bug just from moving around the world outside their home?
    Well, yes.
    The more useful question is is that a likely scenario. In that case, the answer is definitely no.
    Bed bugs are not like fleas that live on the thing they feed from. They are not like ticks that lie in wait to drop onto an unsuspecting passerby.
    Bed bugs if undisturbed are basically pretty lazy creatures. They'll harbor near the place that the blood meal provider sleeps. They will only come out once every few days to feed. It doesn't actually take them all that long to feed, and then they go back to their little hidey hole again.
    It's possible that if your chair were next to a heavily infested item and you were still enough, a rogue hitch hiker could decide on a little change of scene, but the item in question would likely have to be very heavily infested for that to be especially likely to happen.
    My cat moved around my apartment the whole time I had my infestation, and she didn't spread the bugs because I didn't do anything to disturb the bugs (since I didn't know that they were there, and all.)

thanks a bunch you really helped me understand better

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 15:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Walking is fine, its sitting down, sleeping in infected places and bringing infected items into your home.

Bedbugs don't jump (or is that white men or both) and are not likely to be mobile in most outdoors environments.

In fact walking in the park or the woods is in terms of bedbugs one of the safety things you can do.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,686 posts in 45,068 topics over 137 months by 19,788 of 20,523 members. Latest: Starsky30, Sayitaintso99, bid