(7 posts)
  1. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2014 10:21:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

In another thread the questions to ask a hospitality location prior to check in were discussed.

Today, as I read through bed bug case documents, it became clear that those who are seeking/searching for a new apartment need to ask similar questions regarding bed bugs prior to making their final decision and signing a lease as well.

Based upon my experience and observation in such matters it appears that these problems can be avoided by a well educated consumer who asks the right questions and does suitable research prior to making the purchase decision.

Topics for such research, questions and considerations would include:

> The current bed bug policies and procedures.
    > The incidence of bed bugs at the location.
    > Which pest professional service provider is being used.
    > Complaint history, if any, at the local health or code enforcement department.
    > References from other residents.

Hope this helps, gotta go ! pjb

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2014 10:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Review the bedbug addendum, mold addendum and any other legal documents before committing.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2014 19:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Always a wise thing to do, along with taking detailed photos of the apartment prior to your actual move in day to prevent fraudulent accusations of damage when you move out. While doing that its a good idea to inspect for any evidence of bedbugs as well, like fecal traces near baseboards, exoskeletons, e.t.c. The same thing in the kitchen area for roaches.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2014 19:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Dudes,

Believe it or not but, I've seen where bed bugs have been "painted over" during renovation.

It appears that certain lease addendums are also becoming more widely used so, it is wise to read them carefully and understand what they mean.

pjb

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2014 19:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it can be hard to tell, although some people have seen them before moving in.

One of the posters a couple of years ago had 4 or 5 treatments of a vacant apartment, ran bedbug beacon, and there were still some when the new tenant moved in. It was taken care of within a month.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 18 2014 21:13:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Generally speaking, it would be difficult for the average consumer/layperson to conduct an adequate inspection of a vacant unit whilst apartment hunting. That is, of course, unless they were suitably trained and able.

However, it is well known that the educated consumer is better able to make good purchase decisions. Plus, be aware of the prospective LL's current policies, procedures, consumer complaints and infestation history, if any, for a prospective property would certainly be helpful when known in advance.

Just sayin . . .

pjb

7. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 19 2014 3:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

In my building a tenant with an advanced infestation that the landlord refused to treat was evicted (Not because of his bugs but because he was an alcoholic who caused repeated disturbances) and of course the new tenant that moved in started complaining about bugs in short order. Only after multiple tenants started complaining a while later is when management finally took action and had the entire building inspected and treated by professionals.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie