Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Would bat or bird bugs eventually evolve to feed on us?

(5 posts)
  1. PB1109

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Feb 26 2018 10:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a follow up question from our experience last August (detailed in a few posts here):

We never did see any bugs again since that last post above, 7 months ago in August.

However, our dog recently had surgery and cannot use the stairs, so we've been sleeping with him down in the basement this past week on the pullout couch. In a nutshell (and detailed in the above posts), our basement ceiling is where we saw most of the the mass migration of these mystery bugs from the fireplace/chimney wall. There were a handful of other bugs scattered around our house, lasting about two weeks before they all moved on or died. Lou and a PCO confirmed they were likely not common bedbugs and not interested in us and would move on and that was what happened.

However, since sleeping down there this past week, I woke up the the other day with two clusters of suspect bites, one cluster which had two bites in a row ala bb's. I suppose since it's the basement, though furnished and typically our <very occasionally used> Movie Room, there are little critters all the time and the bites could be anything...

BUT I am curious: Lou tested these bugs last August on his own skin and they did NOT feed, and and he determined with some certainty that they were not common bb's based on the fact that they did not want to feed and also had such strange behavior in our home for such a brief period of time. We left off assuming they were either bat or bird bugs, particularly since they came into our home so suddenly, never fed on any of us or joined us in bed, and ultimately all seemed to die or move on....

So, out of curiousty if anyone knows, what do we think the odds are that some remained in our basement and have gotten hungry enough to decide to feed on us since we're down there sleeping? Would this be typical bat or bird bug behavior?

IF so, and we've woken this sleeping beast, will we soon have a problem, or will this just be a problem while we're sleeping down there as our dog recovers from surgery? Can bat or bird bugs reproduce and spread in the same way as bedbugs or do they just seek blood occasionally and once we're gone they'll just hang out until they either die, move on, or can feed again? Meaning, we could just treat the couch once the dog is recovered and we're out of the basement?

AND, if somehow our situation WAS bedbugs last August and they've just been down in the basement alone and hungry for some strange reason....how have they not spread up the house to our other bedrooms (three floors up)? I am not convinced this is the situation given Lou's previous assesment and lack of anything - ever - in our bedrooms, but am hypothetically curious.

No other signs of anything (it is tough to tell on a pullout couch in a room currently designated for dog surgery recovery), obviously, this is all based on the bites I woke up with and I'm speculating.

Would love any insights and thoughts! Many thanks!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Feb 26 2018 12:03:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I PMd you earlier. The bat and bird bugs will feed on people. Their harborage behavior differs because their natural hosts don't sleep in beds, chairs, sofas, couches, so they crawl back to their normal places.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. PB1109

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Feb 26 2018 13:58:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, just got it, thanks Lou.

Does this make sense then? That one or two must have been left behind during the big migration last Fall?

If so, what do we need to worry about in this scenario then? Last August, it was really a case of just watching them come in, then watching them die and leave, and never getting bit or seeing them again.

Now that they've fed on us since we've been on the couch down there, should we worry about them following us around the house?

Thanks!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Feb 26 2018 14:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd leave out some types of monitors. I believe I PMd you this info. If you have any pictures of them, please post here. It would be good to be able to make sure on the purported ID.

5. PB1109

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Feb 26 2018 17:28:34
    #

Login to Send PM

No new sightings or photos since the specimans I mailed you last Fall.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,307 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo