Won't everyone get BBs

(18 posts)
  1. May

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 6:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Since everyone on this site is trying hard to get rid of BBs with limited success, what about all the people out there that have them and don't know, or have them and can't possibly afford to treat? Won't everyone in the City be exposed and finally everyone have them. They are such successful insects--don't have to eat for 18 months, only come out at night, often are not even ever seen. Think of all the people in all the offices, schools, hospitals, etc, that I guess are carrying BB around on their clothes.

2. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 9:08:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, this thought just creeps me out......<shudder>

3. tiredofbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 9:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

you would think eventually everyone will end up with bed bugs with so many people having them!!! that is a scary thought. i'm so tired of these stupid little bugs. i've done so much reading online and reading the same information over and over again.. i feel im an expert now when it comes to bed bugs. i just dont understand WHY nature made it so darn difficult for these bugs to die.. super annoying. i'm from chicago and have had 2 different PCO's treat.. but no success. at all~! finally we are having the bed bug doggy Scooby come by next week to sniff around.. anyone in chicago have scooby come by? any opinions? i feel my options are becoming more limited by day.. never signs of any bbs, but bites every night. borderline depression.. this is no way to live! if the dog doesnt succeed,, i dont know what else i can do. maybe thermal treatment? i should have never moved to the city!

4. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 11:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

hi tiredofbugs. sympathies! i'm also in the windy city and am having scooby come tomorrow (yay!) to assess progress after 3 chemical treatments across 60 days.
    i'll post the scooby experience afterward for other chicagoans on this site.
    do you think maybe you're getting reinfested from neighbors? have you caulked? i still have 2 rooms to caulk and will be doing it today <and maybe tonight> before scooby comes. caulking won't interfere with his process, i'm told.
    more tomorrow. . .

btw, if you don't mind, PM me and tell me which two PCO companies you've used. i'll PM you with the details of my PCO as well <i've been satisfied with mine, but of course, we'll wait and see if they rid me of the problem tomorrow. they did say that even though my contract is now up, if scooby hits on anything they'd come back for one more cleanup treatment for free, which is nice>

5. bedwarrior

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 27 2009 16:35:48
    #

Login to Send PM

May - 9 hours ago  » 
    Since everyone on this site is trying hard to get rid of BBs with limited success, what about all the people out there that have them and don't know, or have them and can't possibly afford to treat? Won't everyone in the City be exposed and finally everyone have them. They are such successful insects--don't have to eat for 18 months, only come out at night, often are not even ever seen. Think of all the people in all the offices, schools, hospitals, etc, that I guess are carrying BB around on their clothes.

A very good question- I posted this once in the bedbug science section I think but didn't get any replies. It does seem that BB's are gradually turning into more and more of a pandemic of sorts for a host of reasons that we can endlessly speculate on, but it also seems to me that in spite of this overall trend, it's remarkable at just how much BB's have NOT spread. I mean, I will hazard to guess that almost everyone on this forum is encountering BB's for the first time in their life, as my wife and I have.

I have informed my close family of our situation, but none of them have encountered BB's before either (my mom recalled it from her childhood just after WW2 and in those days I bet DDT was used and annihilated them in one shot by the sounds of it). So as infuriatingly resistant to treatment the BB's seem, the fact that they have not spread to everyone yet means that they are more local in their life cycle (unless given special good luck), and vulnerable in transit, then we may fear. Not meant as a cause to relax (we are pretty sure that it was a hotel infection that started our own BB saga) but rather as a target for investigation for how we can take advantage of their weaknesses.

6. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 1:22:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hubby and I were just thinking about this too. We are thinking we may have been living with an infestation for some time with no bite reactions, visible bugs or evidence and we have moved 3 times in that time period. I am one of the most bug-phobic people you'll ever meet so if I could live unwittingly with an infestation, and be a "carrier", anybody could.

7. mangycur

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 9:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I wish everyone DID have the bugs so that I could stop worrying about spreading them. But then I think of how stressful it is to have your sleep interrupted. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

8. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 15:38:36
    #

Login to Send PM

mangycur - 6 hours ago  » 
    Sometimes I wish everyone DID have the bugs so that I could stop worrying about spreading them. But then I think of how stressful it is to have your sleep interrupted. And I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Sometime I wish everyone had them, too. Because then there would be an outcry to find a solution. I also find that, unless someone has lived through this problem, they have no idea how truly stressful it is. But as soon as I have that nasty thought, I banish it from my mind. I really wouldn't wish this problem on anybody.

9. BedBugGuru

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 28 2009 16:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I personally wouldn't recommend bed bugs on my worst enemy. They really are THAT bad.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 2:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

May - 5 months ago  » 

May has now posted her success story, here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. Beth2

account closed

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 8:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

that's what I was thinking...shouldn't everyone have them by now? why do they pick certain victims to hitchhike on. Like I know others that left the shelter I was in and DID NOT get bed bugs. So many people take public transport and never get them, but a few do. Then those victims they tend to attach to for life. Is it something about our blood? I mean, I do eat very healthy! They are parasites and parasites exist to kill off the weaker members of a species. Are we the weaker members? omg. j/k.

12. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 10:16:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I find the thought that everyone eventually getting them very depressing but probable. I mean, look at NYC for example - how rampant the infestations are. I see the reports and map on bedbugregistry grow daily. I know in Denver they seem to be really increasing. Unless there is a new breakthrough eradication method or DDT is brought back, the outlook does seem quite grim. Maybe all we can hope for is control/mitigation and learn to live with them? That is discouraging as well.

13. Beth2

account closed

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 10:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

yes, kirads,

in cities I believe most everyone will likely get them in the next 5-10 years if we don't find a method of eradication that is affordable and works in one shot. Best we can do, who are at the healm of this plague, is get our packtites and mattress protectors and advise our friends when they become stricken.

amy

14. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 11:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow - this is depressing, but I agree. As much of a stigma as having bugs is, it seems like unless it comes out into the open, there will be no resolution or effective treatment. Back in the 40's and 50's they used DDT and sulphur candles to get rid of them and it was effective. Also back then most folks had fewer possessions (like only 2 winter coats as opposed to my 7!) and did not travel or move as much. In the next 5 years we shall see how the pesticide industry and the hospitality and airline industry will react. I, for one, am done with traveling. It is not worth the "cost"

15. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jun 25 2010 15:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Beth2 - 6 hours ago  » 
    that's what I was thinking...shouldn't everyone have them by now? why do they pick certain victims to hitchhike on. Like I know others that left the shelter I was in and DID NOT get bed bugs. So many people take public transport and never get them, but a few do. Then those victims they tend to attach to for life. Is it something about our blood? I mean, I do eat very healthy! They are parasites and parasites exist to kill off the weaker members of a species. Are we the weaker members? omg. j/k.

Hey Beth...

Is that true that parasites exist to kill off the weaker members of a species? i thought that parasites exist to replicate themselves.

16. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 22:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

My answer to the original question is YES most people will get BBs sooner or later. They have been found in books at the Denver public library, they have been found at very expensive clothing retailers. Just think when the infestation rate doubles in 5 years, and then doubles again 5 years after that? BBs will REALLY be everywhere!

My elderly mother has a studio apartment in an assisted living community. She rarely leaves, and only her three children ever visit her in her apartment. She developed a very serious infestation. All the apartments in the community were inspected, especially her neighbors left and right and above and below. No BBs. Her three children's homes were inspected. No BBs. We think it is possible my sister went to the hospital for surgery and stayed with mom for weeks as she recovered. Maybe my sister brought them back with her from the hospital. Just a theory, we'll never know. The thing is if an elderly lady who lives alone and hardly leaves the facility, if she can get them, believe me, ANYONE can get them.

17. jccrosby

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 1:34:39
    #

Login to Send PM

What happens if a toxic waste plant gets infested with bedbugs? will they then start to grow into huge bedbugs? can you imagine 2 foot bedbugs running around eating people for blood? scary thought

18. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 5:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

That is weird - huge BB. lol; like it ; good movie; part of there creepyness is the way they hide though. Perhaps they will bring back the use of DDT once the congressman and president gets them? Lucky that my LL per law is required to hire a PCO, but of course, if I were a home owner, most people would be hard pressed to afford a PCO. If fought deligently: they can be eradicated from your home without PCO.. look for success stories without PCO. They are out there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula