Won the war and living semi normally again

(6 posts)
  1. bitten123

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 24 2009 9:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    I wanted to come back and just post an encouraging thought that it will get better. I remembered last Thanksgiving reading all the depressing post of people afraid to visit family, etc and I was so buried in my own "survival" mode myself that I could not forsee hope. There is hope people, it really gets better, you get over this nightmare and your life returns to somewhat normal (I say somewhat because in I will always show more caution in many things than I did prior to my knowledge of these hideous creatures).

My saga started about Aug 08 when my daughter had bites, 3 in a row and coming about every 10 days until the dermatologist diagnosed them. So began the battle!

We never actually saw a bug, we certainly saw some faecal traces in a couple of spots (found some in the nightstand, about 5 of them) and a couple on one bed. I guess we had a very small infestation, but we still had to manage to do an entire house. I learned everyhting from this site, and when I interviewed PCO's I found out that I often knew more than most of them about bed bugs. There were a couple of them that were knowledgable (not as knowledgable as the pros on this board) but enough that we found someone, and it took 3 sprays before all bites stopped. It has been over a year now since our last bites and my life as well as my kids continue on.

I don't panic at restaurants anymore, searching hte booths for bedbugs with my eyes. I still show caution, when I see a pile of coats I never place my coats with strangers, I will fold and keep in my lap.

I came back to encourage each one of you who is living this that you will survive. You will get over this if you get professional help to get rid of them, and you will eventually return to a somewhat normal life. You will slowly notice that there are trees and flowers outside instead of worrying about bugs hdiing on you.

Take care all my suffering friends, it will get better! This site is so wonderful, I would not have made it through mentally without it. Just remember to keep fighting and don't give up!

2. bitten123

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 24 2009 9:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I realized I should have said what we did. Sorry.

We ran all our clothes through the drier for over an hour . Ruined lots of stuff by the heat. Lived in bags for about 3 months plus.

I wish I could remember the first chemical the PCO sprayed. It was something to knock them down quicker . It was Lambda-Chlor something or another (sorry can't remember exactly)
    Came back about 12 days later and put down Phantom. Phantom was done about 40 days later after first Phantom application.

Before they came we steamed everything with a steamer we bought. We used a thermal themometer and the long stick kind to make sure that we reached 140 degrees as we did the baseboards. This went slowly to do it right. I think the heat was a huge help in getting rid of them. Steamed all the furniture nooks and crannies the same way. We did have permission to use steam from the PCO.

The one thing we did do on our own besides the heat was that we applied DE, we bought a puffer, practiced and practiced on how to use it outside, and carefully puffed all the cracks in the baseboards and then sealed with caulk. We did wear respirator masks as Spidey made me very afraid of the dangers of DE which is a good thing, I need my lungs! Thanks Spidey for warning us to be cautious! We did not apply the DE and seal the cracks until all bites had stopped. I think it was probably Jan when we did the DE and sealing, which was probably 60 days after last spraying took place.

The one thing I do and will probably always do is that on the first of the month, I pull all the covers and mattress pads off all the beds and carefully examine them. I get a bright light and check hte frame, etc for any signs of faecal droppings. David UK suggested that checking once a month was good and I follow that protocol for safety and early detection.

So that was the treatment plan for anyone interested.

3. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 27 2009 19:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update, Bitten123. Nice to "see" you again. We battled around the same time, and it seems I've been successful as well. I'm so happy for both of us!
    Kate

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Nov 28 2009 9:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Always good to hear positive stories. It is important to keep in perspective that many people are able to resolve their problem within a month or so and move on much the wiser in preventing re introduction. Fortunately early detection is more feasible now because of media attention (although often incomplete and misleading), professional education and out reach and a good site like "Bedbugger".

5. bitten123

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2009 21:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Itchy,
    I am so glad you are free at last too! Did you end up moving after all?

Winston, I think you are so right about early detection. I just wish that there was more public education about these critters. Thank goodness for Bedbugger and people like yourself who really know these creatures and who stay and help us out.

I am very thankful to all the professionals on this board who answered my endless questions, and the sweeties who held my hand while I panicked. At least now I can resume my life....

I am glad that more people are getting treatment earlier and getting on with their lives quicker.
    More progress in the war is a good thing..

6. idiotking

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2009 22:27:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I really hope I can join you in breathing a sigh of relief (see my post today "Cautiously Optimistic?" It's nice to know that it's not always the end of the world, and sometimes the treatments work!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956