Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Woke up with more bites? Please help. Question about bed bug path

(22 posts)
  1. Jrez

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 1:04:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I been waking up with bites every 3-7 days for the last month but other than that no evidence of bed bugs. It’s 1:43am right now here in nyc and I noticed about 2 bites directly next to each other on my lower back, 2 bites on my lower to mid right back going upwards in a line and 2 bites on my mid right back with a 3rd bite not too far from it upwards in a line pattern. This is the most bites I had. I assume I was bitten last night. I also have a bite on my arm. All red bumps and small.

Earlier around 7.pm I was at my friend and his family cookout in the park. They were complaining mosquitoes. I know it can’t be mosquitos in my situation because I had on jeans and a hoodie when I went to the cookout. Mosquitos can’t bite through hoodies and they don’t bite in line patterns.

I been sleeping in sweat pants and a white t shirt for the past week. I have two mattress encasements on my mattress but both have holes on the bottom. I put duct tape on the holes. I wind up ordering Cimexa even though I have no proof of bed bugs besides the bites. I put Cimexa by the bed legs, on the bed frame where the mattress sits and I also put Cimexa on my white mattress encasement by the head and foot. I didn’t feel like taking off both mattress encasements on my bed so that’s why I put the Cimexa on the head, foot and middle of mattress encasement. I also put Cimexa on the bottom of mattress where I have the duct tape for the hole. I did all this with Cimexa yesterday.

My question is what would be the bed bug path to bite me? I’m making a assumption that they are coming from the hole in the bottom of the mattress encasement. Do they have to go through both mattress encasements to get to me or do they come straight to my bed from the hole?

Should I take both mattress encasements off and apply Cimexa or should I consider getting a new mattress encasement? I have a metal bunk bed

2. Jrez

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 1:17:33
    #

Login to Send PM

It was a week this time since the bites happened until last night. I also have a handheld steamer and used it a few days ago but my bed sheets was on the bed when I used it

3. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 1:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I sympathize with how freaked out you must feel - I've been getting bitten for over 2 months and am still trying to confirm if it's bedbugs.

You need to start by reading through the FAQs - there is info about how to find/identify evidence of bedbugs and different monitoring/detection methods.

You need to be very careful how you apply Cimexa, it's meant for cracks and crevices, not for exposed surfaces. It's not good to inhale these types of dusts, so you do not want it applied in ways that it will be easily kicked up into the air.

4. Jrez

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 8:37:35
    #

Login to Send PM

thissux - 6 hours ago  » 
    I sympathize with how freaked out you must feel - I've been getting bitten for over 2 months and am still trying to confirm if it's bedbugs.
    You need to start by reading through the FAQs - there is info about how to find/identify evidence of bedbugs and different monitoring/detection methods.
    You need to be very careful how you apply Cimexa, it's meant for cracks and crevices, not for exposed surfaces. It's not good to inhale these types of dusts, so you do not want it applied in ways that it will be easily kicked up into the air.

Yes it’s very frustrating. I been looking for bed bug feces, blood stains etc and I can’t find none. Just bites in a line or triangle pattern. Majority of the bites usually appear on my arm. Only this time was all these bites on my back. I’m assuming it’s because the hole in my mattress encasement is close to the head of the bed. I had one bite on my leg last week but other than that bites usually appear on my upper body. My girlfriend stayed Friday night with me and woke up
    with 3 itchy rashes. One on her leg, upper thigh and right breast. All rashes were on the right side.

Can you answer the questions I asked about the mattress encasements. Hypothetically speaking, if it’s bed bugs would they have to go through both mattress encasements to get to me or do they come straight to my bed? I asked cause I put the Cimexa on the mattress encasements. I slept ok yesterday, the Cimexa didn’t bother me.

Also should I remove both mattress encasements to apply the Cimexa? Should I buy a new mattress encasement? Should I throw away the whole mattress?

It’s really freaking me out and I’m having trouble sleeping. I don’t even sleep under the covers in my bed anymore. I sleep with sweatpants and white t shirt on top of the covers. If it’s not bedbugs then what else could it be biting me at night, in line and triangle patterns at that?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 8:49:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The golden rule is confirm first treat second.

Otherwise you may never actually answer wat is causing the skin reactions and the reality is you are likely to spend longer treating for the wrong thing than stopping and getting this right by following the recommended steps in the FAQ.

In your case I would clean it all up and reset back to square one.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  6. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 12:04:34
    #

Login to Send PM

The Cimexa might not be bothering you, but the problem is breathing it and getting it in your lungs - really bad. That's why it's recommended you wear a mask when you apply it and why you shouldn't apply it on exposed surfaces.

A compromised encasement is a possible source if it's bedbugs. I have read a few cases on this forum (I've read hundreds of threads at this point researching my own situation) where people were getting bitten for months (over a year in one case) without finding evidence and the issue was finally discovered to be a hole in an encasement or mattress and the bugs were harboraging inside.

I'm no expert, so you should follow David's advice and implement inspection and detection practices to confirm the cause before treating.

7. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 12:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I would also recommend you to start researching PCOs in your area in case you come to wanting a professional inspection. You will want a PCO with bedbug specific expertise and will conduct a thorough inspection. There are a lot of bad/lazy PCOs that will just be a waste of time and money. I've reached desperation point and am getting a K9 inspection.

8. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 0:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Re: encasements question

I'm not an expert so there may be better advice, but I personally wouldn't dare remove the encasements. If there are bugs inside, you could end up spilling them and causing them to scatter all over. You could try the following:

- Use a monitoring/detection method that will confirm the general presence of bedbugs - see the FAQs for different methods. In your case, an on-bed passive monitor would make sense since you suspect possible source being mattress/encasement (bed leg interceptors wouldn't help in this case).

- Patch the hole if you can think it can be done effectively (consider the nymphs are TINY) or add another encasement, then see if there is a noticeable change in the number of your bite symptoms. If there is, then you have a strong indication that it is bugs coming from the hole. You would still want to remain vigilant and monitor in case there are bugs or eggs in other places.

9. Jrez

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 0:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

thissux - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Re: encasements question
    I'm not an expert so there may be better advice, but I personally wouldn't dare remove the encasements. If there are bugs inside, you could end up spilling them and causing them to scatter all over. You could try the following:
    - Use a monitoring/detection method that will confirm the general presence of bedbugs - see the FAQs for different methods. In your case, an on-bed passive monitor would make sense since you suspect possible source being mattress/encasement (bed leg interceptors wouldn't help in this case).
    - Patch the hole if you can think it can be done effectively (consider the nymphs are TINY) or add another encasement, then see if there is a noticeable change in the number of your bite symptoms. If there is, then you have a strong indication that it is bugs coming from the hole. You would still want to remain vigilant and monitor in case there are bugs or eggs in other places.

I already put Duct tape on the hole when I found out about it. Do you think that’s enough to patch it? I had this metal bunk bed for a while. Something tore a hole in the bottom of the mattress encasement. I believe it was broken part of my bed frame, not sure though. I’m going to consider putting a 3rd mattress encasement. That would be 3 encasements on my bed though if I do decide to go that route.

I read about the monitor on here but that doesn’t kill them though. I will consider it though. What else you suggest if the bugs are coming from the hole?

10. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 2:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Monitoring is about detecting and this is the first step before start treating without really thinking about it. Get a packtite passive monitor. When there are really bed bugs then you can take the next steps. Duct tape should be enough. Invest that money in a monitor.

Listen to David. He knows best.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 3:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While there is nothing inside my monitors to kill bedbugs they are removable and have the ability to remove the infestation with them.

It’s natural for people to think they want them “dead” but the reality is you want them gone and to not bring more home. If you remain fixed on killing things it takes longer to resolve the infestation.

David

12. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 10:41:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I put my 3rd encasment on my spring box (metal frame and a small hole in the 2nd encasment ,I have taped it at first but than have decided to put a 3rd encasment over ) On my mattress there are 2 encasment as well .I have 2pcktite monitors between box spring and mattress (they are clear since May . No obvious new bite but Iam vigiliant And Do my routine weekly (laundry bedding,vacuum very thoroughly around entire place ,drying the comforter and (encased )pillows.Also using hand held steamer if I suspect something (crazy )
    Also recently I have placed a paktite monitors on the bottom of my new sofa !!!
    Since I got rid of my old one in the beginning of August I can carefully say no bites !!!
    But paranoia is still real and I keep checking my body every morning and evening !!!
    Good luck to You!!!!

13. Jrez

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 13 2019 13:36:38
    #

Login to Send PM

https://postimg.cc/9DbBxnyj

https://postimg.cc/Dm4B253q

3 days ago I woke up with these bites on my knee. If you notice look at how they are in a line pattern. They are red and very itchy. 2 days ago I decided to put a 3rd mattress encasement on my bed.

I sit in my computer chair a lot when I’m in my bedroom. I decided to use the handheld steamer on my chair too. Still can’t find any feces or anything but just these bites I’m getting.

The other day I also woke up itching. My entire body was itching when I woke up one morning.
    I also sprayed head lice spray on my head. I posted 2 bugs about a month ago that I seen on my shirt and Mawiwala told me it was head lice.

I’m probably gonna buy the monitor when I get the money but really worried about the bites. Please check out the pictures I posted everyone. Look at how the bites are in a line. A majority of the bites I was getting was on my arm. These ones were on my knee. Really worried that it’s bed bugs

14. BedBugsLondon

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 13 2019 15:54:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs do not bite in any particular pattern any more than a mosquito or other insect.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as employee of the patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations.

For those that are curious, yes it can be challenging working for David
  15. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 13 2019 17:11:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes ...I hear you but I have unfortunately got bitten again and those bites on my back had almost always are in line .Three holes like (skin penetration)bites are forming a line .no itching though
    Today the crust is formed on them .Same pattern .
    And the worst thing is Iam pretty sure it has happened in the bed .I have noticed them yesterday morning .
    Iam devastate ....Washed my bedding already ,..I had 2 passive monitors and there has been clear Also around beds legs I have dusted Cimexa so how the hell it get to me and bit me ????Mystery ..Iam vacuuming tonight ...no signs of anything but they are hiding around somewhere for sure .Jrez how many times a week have you been bitten ?
    Hang in there !

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 13 2019 18:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The frequency of a skin reaction is no more an indication of its cause than its appearance.

While we appreciate that at times it is what you are drawn to focus on when it comes to confirming and resolving bedbugs there will NEVER be circumstances where they are helpful. In fact and to flog the dead horse through QED I offer this thread. Read it with a calm mind or ask a friend to review it and point out where you distract yourself from finding the answer.

David

17. Jrez

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Sep 19 2019 18:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Iwantmylifeback - 6 days ago  » 
    Yes ...I hear you but I have unfortunately got bitten again and those bites on my back had almost always are in line .Three holes like (skin penetration)bites are forming a line .no itching though
    Today the crust is formed on them .Same pattern .
    And the worst thing is Iam pretty sure it has happened in the bed .I have noticed them yesterday morning .
    Iam devastate ....Washed my bedding already ,..I had 2 passive monitors and there has been clear Also around beds legs I have dusted Cimexa so how the hell it get to me and bit me ????Mystery ..Iam vacuuming tonight ...no signs of anything but they are hiding around somewhere for sure .Jrez how many times a week have you been bitten ?
    Hang in there !

I had the new mattress encasement on for a week now and was waking up with no bites until they showed up in the afternoon. That’s usually when my bites show up is in the afternoon. I don’t understand how I got bit with a mattress encasement on. My indoor cat jumps on the bed often and sometimes climb up my bed with her claws. I checked my mattress encasement to see if it was any holes and couldn’t find any. I did find a yellow-ish stain that I posted in the identification section. I also have Cimexa surrounding all 4 bed legs

My bites usually happen once to twice a week. There was 2 in a line on my left side back, one on the right side of my back and 2 in a line behind my ear too. All are itchy.

I’m thinking about just getting a new bed when I get the money since it’s a bunk bed. My brother used to sleep on the top but he moved out over a decade. My cat sleeps on the top bunk all the time so she will miss it but will have to adjust

18. Jrez

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Sep 19 2019 18:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 6 days ago  » 
    Hi,
    The frequency of a skin reaction is no more an indication of its cause than its appearance.
    While we appreciate that at times it is what you are drawn to focus on when it comes to confirming and resolving bedbugs there will NEVER be circumstances where they are helpful. In fact and to flog the dead horse through QED I offer this thread. Read it with a calm mind or ask a friend to review it and point out where you distract yourself from finding the answer.
    David

My paranoia is getting to me. I’m trying my best to search for evidence of them but can’t find any. I may have to consider taking off both mattress encasements to see if it’s bed bugs on the actual mattress. I’m not sure how a hole got in the bottom of the first 2 mattress encasements in the first place. It makes me wonder if it’s a hole in the bottom of the mattress. Had this bunk bed for years, a few pieces of the rail of the bed frame is completely broken. It’s a metal bunk bed.

Hypothetically speaking do you think that Bed Bugs can come from the top bunk on to the bottom? I have a mattress encasement on the top bunk too.

I’m gonna buy the monitor but trying to figure out if I’m a new bed or not first before buying it. What does QED mean

19. Iwantmylifeback

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Sep 19 2019 20:12:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi !!!
    My bed frame is a metal one and in the metal frame there is a lot of holes and I think they might have been hidden inside of that frame .So last Saturday I had (again )disabled that frame and splashed a hot(almost boiling water over it and scrubbed it with Persil (washing liquid)
    Than I put it back and after it dried I dusted it with Cimexa .So far no new bites since the last 3 ones on my back (last week )
    I hear you ,I panicked every time I see some skin reaction on my body .
    I have enough but I need to repeat my weekly routine (bedding laundry,vacuuming and then make sure I put Cimexa back again in the cracks and crevices around my place .I know I could leave Cimexa in place (and I do but only inside of the closets and behind the furniture-dressers .
    I feel better when I do vacuum .I also inspect visually daily -(bed area and window sills )do not see anything bed bug related only some random beetles and recently stinky bugs (they really do stink ..ewww)
    Can you place a pics of your bites?
    Do you have a dresser in your bedroom?If yes check it thoroughly inside ,take a drawers out ,also if you keep books on the nightstand remove them .These are the places where I had discovered those bb last year .Inside the dresser on the metal trucks of the drawers and feacals under the books under the glass covered the top of my nightstand .
    Hope our nightmares would be over soon .My impressions is if you -hypothetically -have them they are a minor infestation and you can handle this with a good cleaning really really good one and declutter .My case was different bc I have started seen them anywhere crawling around and spotted one in the bed .(than it hit me it might be it bc before I didn’t pay too much attention I thought it were just a bugs (when I spotted them sometimes),I killed and didn’t think about them much )and skin reaction is not severe one and not itching really.I think I had them for a long time without knowing what they truly are .
    Anyway...since than I had 2 professional treatments and than started on my own bc I recognized the bites and had learn how they look on my skin Of course not every skin lesions is the bb bites ....ufff ..sorry I vented out here !!!
    Good luck to you !!!Maybe just get rid of this bed bunk ???
    I got rid of 2 couches and believe me I do not regret it .
    Keep us posted !!!!!

20. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Thu Sep 19 2019 22:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

QED is an initialism of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum", literally meaning "what was to be shown" or through example I illustrate.

As I posted on FB yesterday:

Brexit - it’s like treating for bedbugs without confirming you have bedbugs

In many of these cases people are treating for bedbugs when they don’t actually have bedbugs and not seeing that they set themselves up to fail when they do that.

My initial post in this thread makes it clear what to do and yet anxiety and being “locked in and over committed to your actions” means you ignore it and continue to focus on the things that are not helpful to you. Sadly this is a Groundhog Day issue within this area and after 16 years I am getting a little tired to the steps people go through without needing.

We had a case yesterday were a $75 inspection would have saved them the $500 they had already spent on encasements / isolation devices and cimexa. Thankfully they can send the whole lot back for a full refund.

You can’t buy your way out of a problem you don’t actually have.

David

21. BedBugsLondon

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 20 2019 5:18:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Clean up all products, put a passive monitor in place.
    Cheaper, easier and less stressful than what you are currently doing.
    If you have bed bugs, there is evidence.

22. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Fri Sep 20 2019 5:26:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't get rid of the bed until you have a confirmed infestation. You might just infest the new bed again, if there is an ongoing infestation or if there isn't one you might just buy a new bed for nothing.

Buy the monitor first and wait.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82