woke up to bites on shoulder [a: springtails and not bed bugs]

(5 posts)
  1. manytravels

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2016 17:08:49
    #

Login to Send PM

As I mentioned last post, I am staying in a bit of a sketchy hotel. I found some live bugs in the bathroom that were deemed to most likely be book louse. That said, I woke up this morning to three bites on my shoulder, and while I guess it could be a mosquito or spider, the fact that this is occurring in a hotel had me spooked. I performed a second room inspection and found this live bug on my pillow. Any idea if this is a bed bug?

http://imgur.com/a/xuiBX

Also, what is the best way to prevent these traveling home with me? My luggage has been stored in the bathroom with the lights on. Should I take the taxi to a laundromat and dry everything on hot and then put the suitcase in a garbage bag? It would be devastating to bring these home...

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2016 17:37:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Not bedbug related.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. manytravels

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2016 18:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Jim, for your quick reply. I am still very worried that bed bugs may have been the cause of the bites (3 in total), though I know it is hard to diagnose from bites alone. I have not found any evidence of bed bugs (fecal, skin, bugs) on the mattress or frame, but I know they are hard to find. Any advice on how to locate them in a hotel room or, better yet, to prevent them from returning home? My current plan is to put all clothing on hot setting in dryer at the laundry and then place the suitcase in a garbage bag to isolate from my home.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2016 21:05:24
    #

Login to Send PM

The elongate ones look like springtails.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. manytravels

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 12 2016 17:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou. I am very nervous because I saw this morning that the hotel has thrown away a mattress and box spring in the front of the hotel -- possibly due to bugs? My coworker also reported a bite, but he chalked it up to mosquitoes. I am very concerned about bringing them home. How feasible is treating everything in the dryer and leaving the luggage itself in a contractor garbage bag for months?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur