Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Winning the battle! BBS in TO (1st real exposure)

(22 posts)
  1. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 22 2017 22:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I'm new here. I was directed here by bedbug-answers.com, an incredibly informative site! (I'm not affiliated, just appreciative.) I read about the forums here and decided to check it out. I really needed the threads like "You know you're dealing with bedbugs when...". Though I actually laughed out loud, I really needed to read stories of other people dealing with this, as the perceived stigma around bbs is so large, I felt completely isolated. I'd like to share my story in case it helps even one person going through this situation. It's not your fault and you're not alone! Sorry if this gets long. Like many others, the story is complicated. But the details might help someone suffering the same confusion I went through, so I feel compelled to share.
    My situation is relatively minor compared to many other stories I've read, so I'll preface this by admitting I do not have it as bad as many, and although I feel like I'm starting to win this battle, I'm not so naive to think I've won the war. Far from it. Here goes!
    4 months ago I developed two "hives" on two totally different parts of my body. I was at work, they came out of nowhere. Although itchy, I could see no obvious "bites". I have allergies, and didn't think much of it. Soon, about every 1-1.5 weeks I would develop two more hives. Always one or two, but not necessarily anywhere near each other. My boyfriend developed nothing. I didn't necessarily wake up with them. I'd be out and about and feel an itch, then the welt. I checked my mattress and saw nothing unusual. Eventually, a hive developed on my hand around 3 hours after I'd awakened. That night I went to sleep, and in the morning I woke up and the entire back of my hand, down into my fingers, was swollen and bruised. Now, the alarm bells were really ringing. Hives that last longer than a week and leave bruises/swelling can be symptoms of serious autoimmune disorders. I contacted my doctor and he saw me the next day. He ordered bloodwork/dermatology appointment. The dermatologist took a biopsy and recommended I look for bugs. I was in denial "But I've had them travelling before and the bites didn't look/feel like this, I've been checking and found nothing, there are not even bloodstains, my boyfriend doesn't show any symptoms." Etc. The dermatologist explained it could still be bugs. Sometimes a minor infestation can provide very little clues, and not everyone reacts to the bites. I immediately researched and rechecked. Were these black balls and light yellow "things" on my mattress the symptoms I've been reading about?! I contacted my landlord. I explained though I had not found a single bug - alive or dead- I had possibly discovered the critters. He met with me and I showed him the evidence. He was in complete denial saying things like "But you've had this for months and haven't found a bug? The bites have to be in THIS specific arrangement (ie. the bites were not close enough for him. Though I had the legendary line at this point, it wasn't convincing "enough."), no one else in the building has mentioned it." Etc, etc. .Even though I explained what the dermatologist said, he wouldn't call an exterminator to check until I had concrete evidence (or. A bug). It would take 3 weeks for me to get my biopsy results, so in the meantime, I kept checking frequently. Despite frequent checks, the bites increased in number and frequency, occurring now on a nightly basis.
    When the biopsy results came in as "insect bites", I was shocked. How could I have had this going on for so long with no dead or alive bugs? No blood stains?! I was determined to find them. The next day, I finally found 3 dead flea carcasses under my bed. AHA! It was FLEAS! Ok, gross, but easier to treat than bedbugs. I began treatment for fleas immediately.
    2 days later I happened to be lounging on my bed (broad daylight), and felt an intense itch on my shoulder. I looked and saw bite marks. I immediately checked the surrounding area and saw the tiniest, pale yellow insect that had obviously just got me, as it was full of fresh blood. I got it with tape, and put it with the other specimens. It didn't look like the others, but I didn't think much of it.
    As I was going to sleep that night, something didn't sit right. What was it about that bug? Finally a conversation I'd had with my veterinarian a year before popped into my head: "There are no such things as 'tiny fleas'." That may come as a surprise, aren't ALL fleas tiny? Well, yeah, but there aren't smaller VERSIONS of adult fleas. I shot out of bed and grabbed my specimen. This didn't look like the adult bedbugs I've seen photos of. I researched the life cycle of bedbugs. Holy smokes, this was a NYMPH! That night after becoming brave enough for 10 minutes to turn out the light, I turned it back on and found two more nymphs booking it away from me, freshly fed. I caught them both. Now I had a 1st, 2nd and 3rd instar nymph at my disposal to convince my landlord! On doing more research (the rest of that night, because who can sleep after that?) I read that my scenario is common. Mystery bites, inspection, discovery of a different bug (fleas, carpet beetles, spiders, etc.) treatment for THAT bug and an entire miss of the bbs. I am SO so fortunate I was being so utterly lazy lounging on my bed and enticed that 3rd instar nymph to come out in broad daylight. Otherwise, I'd probably still be none the wiser.
    So I reconnected with the landlord. Again, complete denial "Who told you this was a bedbug?" I was furious, but I calmly explained the lifecycle and restated the symptoms of bedbugs. I asked him to inform the other tenants so they could inspect and take preventative measures. He refused, saying it would "cause a panic." So I convinced him to at least broach the subject by reminding the other tenants that bbs are on the rise in Toronto, more than 70 reports of them in the last 2 years on our public transit, not to bring in used furniture, and take preventative measures. He conceded. There is no law stating that he is obligated to inform the other tenants, but I feel a responsibility to my neighbours to alert them (even if it happened to be one of them that brought them in, and are now too embarrassed to discuss it. I understand not wanting to be the pariah of the building.)
    Remedy: So I acted IMMEDIATELY once I confirmed the bbs. I have encased my mattress, bed frame and pillows in bb proof covers, including using packing tape over the zipper holes where it closes to keep them securely in place. Obviously I have laundered everything to the bb prescription. I've installed interceptors on my couch, table and bed. I've vacuumed eeeeverything, steamed the entire couch and the baseboards around the bed and couch, and added bb powder along the perimeters. I've been careful not to wear anything unsteamed in the bed, and have added a strip of double sided tape along my fitted sheet. Also double sided tape around the bars of my free standing clothes rack. Luckily, I'm already a minimalist so I don't have much clutter, clothes, etc. to deal with. This had helped immensely.
    I have 24 traps set up (between interceptors, flat glue boards, bb detector/traps and tape) and have not caught a single one.
    I haven't done everything I intend to do (seal cracks, steam additional baseboards, etc.) but I've only had 2 full days of work to get started. I know I'm not in the clear, but I haven't had a bite in 2 days/nights. I feel like I can sleep, now.
    I've alerted my work, friends and family with preventative measures for them (including those I've had no physical contact with since this started) to help spread awareness and end the stigma. To my surprise, MANY people have admitted to having bbs in the past! I wish someone would have disclosed their full story and given me the advice to prevent them. I've spent around $400 of my own money in a short amount of time to control it, but so far it's paying off. Would have been cheaper to attempt to prevent it, though.

I am totally aware how lucky I've been, despite the roadblocks. My heart goes out to everyone who has been dealing with bbs a lot longer, a lot more severely, with larger homes and larger families. I can only imagine the stress, frustration and defeat you must feel. Unless you've experienced the anxiety and overwhelming work of bbs, you can't comprehend the physical and psychological toll it takes. Many people think your obsessive cleaning and monitoring is paranoid, but those of us who have done our research, chainsmoked the show Infested and other documentaries, and are LIVING it know the effort it takes to reclaim your space and life. It's a growing epidemic, and you may feel isolated right now, but very soon - if we don't all start talking about and preventing the spread- we will all be the people our friends, relatives and co-workers turn to when they are confronted with it. I truly hope that's not the case.

Sorry for the super long post, but I feel encouraged by all of you here, and wish to encourage anyone else dealing with this. I genuinely wish you all a speedy recovery. All the best wishes from Toronto - a bb infested city like the rest of 'em. Much love and support! <3

2. BBAB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon May 22 2017 23:44:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, I can totally relate with you. I moved to an apartment in TO and ended up getting dreaded bed bugs (I'm pretty sure). Never found a single live bug though...moved somewhere else because I already signed a lease and had to move in. I have few belongings so I figured it would be fine but a week after moving in I started to get "bites". But I had been bitten in the past by bed bugs and was super allergic to them. This time not so much. I'm trying to find evidence of bugs but can't find a single thing. I feel pretty defeated.

3. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 0:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Tinatag, so sorry to hear that! Definitely make your bed a fortress if you can, like all the advice such as moving it 6" from the wall, encasing, etc. I know I slept the first night with my sleeves, pants and bug net taped to my gloves, socks, and hood. But you can beat this!
    If you need help or moral support, please let me know. I'm quickly developing a passion for defeating these buggers, and would hate a fellow Torontonian to suffer as long as I did!
    Also double sided tape is your friend! But I've noticed stores in TO are quickly selling out. Are crafts that popular? Or are ppl realizing it's bb value? Hmmm...
    Much love and support! You got this!!

4. BBAB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 0:43:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement I feel like a crazy person and keep being in denial about the bites...trying To tell myself that I'm just stressed out so my body is acting against me but I have a gut feeling it's not that. Maybe I'll get a bug sniffing dog to come in a month and see if they alert to anything (although I've heard stories some have been trained to alert even when there's no incidence of bugs so that's a scary thought...I encased my mattress already and put glue board teas and double sided tape around but haven't caught anything. And the bed frame I use is metal so I'm not sure how well they can hide but who knows...they're notorious for hiding. Please keep us updated on your progress!!!! I would love to know how things go for you. Good luck

5. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 1:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said OP. Ive been dealing with this for the past 6 months with a family of 4. This is my situation if you care to know:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/frusterated-and-trying-not-to-lose-it

The worst part for me is the chance of spreading them and getting them back if I ever do get rid of them. Our two girls go to their biological father's every weekend and while we take precautions, I fear they are not enough. Our kids go to day care and my gf works at the same daycare so thats a likely future source as well. I can't imagine having to live like this the rest of my life. The tole it takes on my gf and I is damaging. We both come from tight nit families. So the thought of having to not be as close with them or to put them at risk... I hate it.

I'm also having trouble getting the ball rolling with my plan. There is so much that needs to be done and I need to find a new place which could take months... but my anxiety and fear keep me from moving forward. I hate it.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  6. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 2:05:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Mp7ski, I am so sorry to hear your story. I actually read your entire thread before I joined the forum. Your situation is one of the heartbreaking ones that makes me want to volunteer to help people who are overwhelmed, overworked and overstressed. Aside from creating sanctuaries out of your beds to at least give you a (slightly more) peaceful sleep, I wouldn't know where to start either. I'd say beds first, to get some rest. After you create your treatment plan, I'd say maybe enlist the help of some trusted, non-judgemental, almost A-type personality people in your support network to start enacting it. Many hands make light work and if proper precautions are taken, you won't spread them to your helpers. Your loved ones will understand.
    Might not be a bad idea for your gf to create a PSA for the daycare regarding bedbug prevention, detection, etc. Could be anonymous, but just a "Hey, this is on the rise and your kid comes to a public place. Just a heads up..." sort of thing. She doesn't need to out herself as being personally affected, but awareness will help control the spread and fight the stigma. There's nothing to be ashamed of, but we have to all work together and help each other out to fight this!
    Let me know if you need any moral support. I'm here for you! Good luck, keep fighting and keep your spirits high! You are NOT alone!

7. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 3:04:13
    #

Login to Send PM

we first got bed bugs over 2 years ago.My oldest son was given a futon for his room.He had snakes in his room in a fish tank and they had mites.So when my son started getting these huge bumps on him we thought it was mites biting him
    when he would hold his snakes.Well later on my Hubby's best friend was over and found a bed bug crawling on him.I still didn't understand anything about them and how they will infest your home so bad..So we didnt do anything...Didnt see anymore bugs.We moved to be new home not realizing that we could infest our new place...Well a few months being in our new home I get up early one morning around 6-7am to go to the bathroom.I crawl back in bes with mt hubby and pulled The blanket up over me and was laying there trying to go back to sleep and I seen a bed bug crawling down my blanket.I jump up and Start crying..As I'm standing there I then see another one crawling on my book that on my night stand by my bed.I woke my hubby up abd told him I was crying I could stay in the house anymore.I was freaked out...We called our landlord and he paid for the cheapest spray he could find through a pest control place.So they come out and spray.About a week later I see another bed bug.He calls the bug people back out to my house and they sprayed again.We have to pay back all this money To him.Aft the first spray didnt work And begged him to have a Heat Treatment done.He chose not to and just wanted to go cheapest route.So I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for the second heat treatment cause I told him it wouldn't work.So finally I begged him to go in half for the first heat treatment.But I have to pay him back for everything when I get the money.OK I agreed I just wanted it done.So we get the heat treatment and it came with a 3 month waranty.So about a week past our warranty ending I find another bed bug.So I go out and start sleeping in a tent.It was winter time and about 20 to 30 degrees.I ran a cord to my tent that ran a light,TV,DVD player and a heater To keep me warm.It didnt work though.I woke up freezing so bad.So I stay in the tent for a couple months trying to get money saved up for another heat treatment.Hubby ended up selling his truck that he loved so we could get it done.So we get our second Heat treatment done.That was over 2 years ago.For the longest time I wouldnt let anyone in my house at all.Not my best friend or family.I would make my boys strip out of their clothes out back after school every day.I finally let my guard up and started letting my boys have friends over and I let my friend and brother come back in again.I tired of peoole telling me that I was rude and making a big deal out of Everything when I shouldn't be.My best friend and brother both have had bed bugs but swore They got rid of them.My best friend hasn't had any treatments done.She lived in a trailer when they had them and then they bought a new shed/cabin thing and moved all their stuff into it.They say last summer when it was hot the cabin got really hot and killed them all.My brother also had them and he lives in apartments.So I doubt either one got rid of them.But I thought it would be really hard to catch them from coming in on Someone.So dumb me let's start coming in.About 5 days ago I was sitting on my bed and a bed bug was crawling on my shoulder.I instantly start freaking out and crying.No not again!!!So guess What hubby sold his truck again to get the money for our 3rd heat treatment.I'm pretty sure we just caught them again.So my hubby is off work this coming Wed and Thursday and we are going through our whole house cleaning and Getting rid of stuff we dont need.The less we have the more the heat Treatment will work and easier to clean and watch for them too.Friday is when the treatment is getting done.Im really exhausted from dealing with all this.I already have depression and bad panic attacks and this crap makes it all a lot worse.Ive got white sheets,white pillow cases and white blanket so I will see them easier.I dont sleep at all.I sit up all night in the middle of my bed next to my hubby.I look every 2-3 min all around me.I leave the lights on all night long.Thank god my hubby and 3 boys dont get bothered by it all and sleep really well.I also take duck tape and tape around my ankles so no bugs can get up my pants or down my Socks.hubby thinks I'm taking it all to far.Well of course he would.They dont bother him at all.I dont sleep at all at night cause Im constantly watching for them.When my hubby wakes up in the morning and its day light out I finally lay down and sleep but my hubby has to stay in bed with me and watch for them.I usually get about 3-4 hours before he has to leave for work.Im only going on a couple hours of sleep since I found The bug.Im so exhausted from not sleeping well.I also think I see them Crawling somewhere and they arent really there.I know after this heat treatment NO ONE is allowed In at all.Also I'm on pain meds and they make me itch bad.So all night and day I am looking on me to make sure there isnt any bugs.I wish when people would get rid of them they would stay on here to help all the new people.Ive been coming to this site for years but never made a post until this time around.I plan on sticking around After I have won my battle so I can help everyone.Right now we are about $7,800 in treatments all together.Thats not counting the bed and pillow protectors we bought or the other stuff to protect my house.Plus my brand new dryer got broke in the first heat treatment and we had to pay around $900 to get it fixed.I'm disabled and my hubby is the only one Working.He is manager at Sonic...We can barely afford to keep our bills paid...Thanks for sharing your guys stories.Its nice to know that we aren't the only ones dealing with this crap.Lots of people are ashamed of it.Yes its embarrassing to me but the way I look at it is.The ones trying to do something about it arent bad.Now if you got bed bugs and know you have them and dont care to do anything about it and just want to continue to live with them then thats bad...I understand not everyone can afford it but at least try to do something.Also if you know you have them dont allow your kids to go over to peoples houses or dont allow people to come over.If you dont your taking the chNve of passing it onto other people.My boys are always wanting people to stay and I wont allow it.

8. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 3:16:09
    #

Login to Send PM

"Also if you know you have them dont allow your kids to go over to peoples houses or dont allow people to come over"

----------

While we definitely don't allow people to come over, we have no control of keeping our kids from going over to their dads... period. They know of our issue and take the risk. We take precautions when sending them there but there still risk.

9. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 3:30:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Your right...In that case you can't control it.But I would let the dad know that you have them and then he could have the child change outside before going in.Wouldn't want the father to get it and you guys Pass it back and Forth.I wasn't talking bad about anyone..I'm just stating towards what I've seen.Like my friend has them and she continues to go over to her mothers house and wont tell her she has bed bugs.

10. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 3:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys, for starters, your handle made me chuckle. You had a good sense of humour when you made that!
    On a serious note, I am so dismayed with your bb woes. Aside from the astronomical financial costs, your family has obviously endured a lot psychologically. Even though your husband and kids don't seem to be affected by the bugs themselves, you're clearly distressed at the impact they're having on your/their social situation. Yours is an important message! Thank you SO much for coming forward now and telling your story! There are literally thousands of people who are in your situation and hardly anyone is talking about it! It sounds like you are doing everything you can to combat this epidemic, and I applaud your efforts and commitment. Please don't give up! More and more people are becoming aware of this massive problem, and perhaps soon there will be more resources for you to access to help. Re-check your local health services, they might be able to assist since your problem is so severe/chronic and costly. This is a public health crisis, and your family deserves relief.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story! The more we talk about it, the less stigma there is and the more likely we can all find relief. I'm proud of all of the people/families who have to combat this alone in silence, and also those who are stepping up and shining light on the issue.
    If you need any moral support, I'm here for you! If it's at all possible, recharge and re-enlist that humour that created that original handle! ;P Don't let the buggers win!
    Sending love and support! All the best from Toronto!

11. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 3:51:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 19 minutes ago  » 
    Your right...In that case you can't control it.But I would let the dad know that you have them and then he could have the child change outside before going in.Wouldn't want the father to get it and you guys Pass it back and Forth.I wasn't talking bad about anyone..I'm just stating towards what I've seen.Like my friend has them and she continues to go over to her mothers house and wont tell her she has bed bugs.

Oh they know, they knew the day after we knew, we're very open about it all but they don't take it as seriously as they should, I try telling them... but I can only do so much, I can't force them to do anything.

12. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 6:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BbsTO - is your landlord getting your place treated? It seems to me you need to find the adult female. If there are nymphs there is almost certainly a pregnant female somewhere unless the nymphs are coming from an adjoining apartment.

13. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 7:15:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I was at work, they came out of nowhere. I didn't necessarily wake up with them. I'd be out and about and feel an itch, then the welt.

That's exactly the way it worked with me, in both my infestations.

The dermatologist took a biopsy and recommended I look for bugs.

Ditto.

14. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 9:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Frightened, he has asked me to relocate my pets for two weeks, which I thought meant he was looking at getting it treated, but he won't treat everyone elses' apartment, and I also share a wall with another mult-unit building owned by a different landlord. I'm not sure if getting my place treated will do much good if the other units aren't treated at the same time. I'm worried it will just push them deeper into the house.
    Also have you ever heard of needing to relocate pets for two weeks? Thanks!

15. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 9:37:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugged-cdn, it was so weird because while travelling years ago the bites looked completely different. I also didn't realize the bites could take so long to cause a reaction. Are you bb free now?

16. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 12:36:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Relocating pets makes no sense unless he truly thought it wasn't bed bugs and it was fleas and figured removing the pets would solve the issue(which it wouldn't anyways...)

If I remember right, bugged-cdn is bug free as of now. I believe they were in a multi unit building and got them from adjoining neighbors. They were treated and went bug free for 2 years I believe but they eventually came back. They then decided to move with very little, clothes treated in a dryer and electronics treated with ddvp strip if I remember right. I'll let them give specifics.

Delayed reactions are normal. It takes several hours for mine to show while my gf reacts immediatly. I believe some reactions can show up to two weeks later.

17. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 12:43:57
    #

Login to Send PM

BbsTO - 2 hours ago  » 
    Bugged-cdn, it was so weird because while travelling years ago the bites looked completely different. I also didn't realize the bites could take so long to cause a reaction. Are you bb free now?

I get different reacttions to bites. Before we knew of the issue, when it was at its worst(quite bad I might add), I woke up one day with over 30-40 bites that included welts that looked like mosquito bites and some that were little red pinprick spots. I attribute the difference to it being dependant on the stage of bug I'm bit by. A lot of people says that's been debunked based off of one persons study and personal experiences but I call bs. How can something be debunked when people react differently. Sure, for that one person or most people, it could not matter on the stage. But how can one say that life stage can have no bearing on bites when people react differently. I mostly get the little red pinprick bites nowadays. Usually a handful a week. Rarely do I get the mosquito bite reaction. Haven't since I treated again two weeks ago.

18. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 20:27:37
    #

Login to Send PM

BbsTO, yes we are bed bug-free, having moved out 5 months ago with, as mp7ski remembered from my previous postings, very little. Clothes, electronics and our cats. That's it.

19. BBAB

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 23 2017 21:36:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Must feel nice to be bed bug free...I envy you hahahaha. Congrats though they really take a toll on your mental health don't they? Makes it hard for me to study in such a competitive program

20. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 25 2017 20:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Mp7Ski: thanks for your input regarding the pets. I didn't think it made sense either. I talked to my vet and they confirmed since the pets don't go outside, the fleas would have likely came in with another animal, who then got treated and they travelled to us. Thanks for the input on the bite reactions, too! Very helpful

Bugged-cab: EXCELLENT news!! Though I'm sorry to hear it required a move and the loss of most of your things. That is terribly unfortunate. But at least the bb part is over, although I can imagine the trauma is still an issue.

Tinatag: same issue. Finals are coming up, we don't have time to deal with this bb bs, haha the burnt out is real!

21. BattleoftheBug

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 25 2017 21:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

You mentioned making a bed into a fortress but to do that you can't allow any bugs to climb up into the bed. I use ClimpUP brand interceptors. The BBs can climb into them but that's where their traveling ends. The slippery texture of the interceptors cause them to loose their footing. I add a little talcum powder to the surface, also. Six years ago I purchased some interceptors and they cracked right away in the middle part from the weight of the bed plus me. Not that they still couldn't work that way--but these new climb ups aren't cracking after being under the casters of my bed for three weeks now. I also put some double sided carpet tape around each leg above the casters. I have the encasements, too, for my mattress and box spring. They are good for protecting the bed elements and their white color makes them easy to inspect. However, they will not keep the bugs from getting onto you and biting unless you stop them with the interceptors. I do not have a headboard so I put a strip of double-sided tape on the wall behind the mattress. That means if my pillow happened to get close to the wall, bugs would have a harder time getting to the pillow from the floor below. They would probably get caught in the tape. This sticky double-sided tape is one of the best weapons against the BBs. It doesn't cost much and you can set traps anywhere with it. Once caught on the tape, the bugs soon die.

22. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 25 2017 23:29:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Battleofthebugs: thanks for your suggestions! Also I'm sorry to hear you, too, are affected.
    Fortunately, I put interceptors under my bed legs when I did the encasements. (I also did my couch and table and pet cages.) I've put double sided tape around my free standing clothes rack and fitted sheet, but I like the idea of adding extra protection above the interceptors.
    A few people I've warned about the problem either cannot use interceptors due to the construction of their bed, or are unwilling due to aesthetic/other reasons (the latter seems ridiculous to those of us who have experienced it and can't believe a bowl under bed legs for protection is worse than dealing with an infestation, but I'm working on that with them..haha) I've suggested using double sided tape, instead.
    From what I've seen, double sided tape comes in both clear (good for spotting adults) and black (great for nymphs.) however I've only found quite a thin version of both. Do you have any info on a brand/source that does wider versions? I don't give a hoot about my fitted sheets, I'd rather be protected!
    Thanks! I hope you win your battle soon!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,257 posts in 46,757 topics over 142 months by 20,629 of 21,513 members. Latest: Ento1, jungr, laurwes