Will this process work?

(5 posts)
  1. tomato

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Apr 23 2016 20:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm about to move into my first home and a few months ago I found an awesome couch at a garage sale that ended up being a nightmare. I've been dealing with bed bugs now and while I know that the infestation is not the worst, I'm panicking! My parents and I have been working so hard so get rid of these things. My closing date is in late May and I want to do everything in my power to not bring the bugs to my new house. Right now, I have been going item by item and inspecting it. I then pack it away, spray the corners of each box with Cy-Kick and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. All linens are being dryed and then put into vacuum seal bags. Then I take the sealed stuff to a storage unit that I just got and have also sprayed well with Cy-Kick. The storage unit is not climate controlled and I live in Florida. Do you think this process will work??? I figured that the pesticide and the heat would help. Then, I would go item by item when I bring my stuff to my new house. Thoughts?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 24 2016 7:05:55
    #

Login to Send PM

You don't need to be applying pesticide to storage boxes. How many rooms in the current house have bedbugs? Was the couch successfully treated or did you throw it out? And why apply pesticide to a storage unit if items are sealed?

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. tomato

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 24 2016 10:04:42
    #

Login to Send PM

If I happen to miss a bed bug, won't wrapping the box with the poison inside make sure that they'll die? I feel like that's better than spraying my actual items. What are your thoughts on the heat killing them? Is that possible? I know it has to get really hot.

4. tomato

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 24 2016 17:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The couch was thrown away as soon as we realized it was infested. There were so many! And we didn't notice until we found bed bugs in two bedrooms, both living rooms, the kitchen and dining room. Since I have sprayed my own room with proof, Cy-kick and powdered the room with DE, I have found no bed bugs in my room where the majority of my stuff is. It's been a month now. I've found a few other dead bugs occasionally, but no bed bugs. For a month now, I've been sleeping in a 3rd bedroom. My fear is that the bugs are living in the boxes that I had packed before getting the couch. My parents have not been so lucky. They honestly didn't think that the bugs would get to their room, but about a week ago, they realized their bed was infested. They've vacuumed the bed and sprayed the whole room with Cy-Kick. We are now seeing a few bed bugs every day crawling up the walls in their room. Is the climbing up the walls a sign of them dying? This is a nightmare.

5. FoundASpot

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2016 17:01:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to be sure, did you ever get confirmation that you're dealing with bedbugs? If not, post a clear picture of a bug here, with the subject line Expert ID Needed, and an entomologist will confirm for you.

I'm not an expert, so all my comments are just secondhand, based on what I've read here or experienced.

Experts on here have said that bedbugs climbing up the wall isn't typical behavior for them. I don't think it's a sign of their death throes, but it could be them escaping a hostile environment, possibly due to all the spraying? This could be a concern because they may be scattering around the house instead of hanging out in their usual locations (bed and couch).

I never heard of Cy-kick, is it supposed to work against bedbugs? The challenge with BBs is they don't eat anything other than blood, and they don't lick or groom themselves or their neighbors, so they don't ingest pesticides.

It might be tough for the heat inside the storage unit to get hot enough to kill any bedbugs in your boxes, because having lots of items packed in there can serve as insulation and prevent the interior of the box (and the storage unit) from reaching the sustained temperatures you need.

The boxes that you packed before getting the couch---where are they? In your house? Be wary of corrugated cardboard boxes, because bedbugs love living in the little channels.

I'm sorry I don't have better ideas for you. Any chance you could get a PCO in?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,644 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa