Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Will this help not transfer to new home?

(6 posts)
  1. bedbuggedinAR

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 14:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all!

I am a recent "bed bugger" (going on two days since discovery) and I need some advice:

We sold our home and are living in an apartment until our new home is built (September 15th is move in day). Discovered bed bugs...

The bed bugs were biting for about a week before we decided to inspect for them. They were biting my husband but not me, so I assumed it was something else. Obviously, I am not as tasty as he is I started getting bites the night before D-Day... So I decided to inspect further. We tore apart our mattresses (no bed frame) and found nothing... So we completely moved the mattress and found the fecal spots and 3 tiny active bugs on the wall near the base boards. GREAT. I freaked out. took a photo, then Grabbed the steamer and cleaned the area. They died from the heat, obviously... and then we find a fourth in the corner of the room... big one. About the size of a watermelon seed. Probably just fed, little bastard.

After steaming, crying, vacuuming, dry heaving, crying more, more scrubbing, and burning vacuuming the mattress, I went to sleep with my daughter in her room and my husband slept on the couch (after this research, we learned this was WRONG but it was the only way I could sleep)

My daughter has no bites, no evidence, and no issues. But I am distraught. Are we going to take these little F$*%ers to the new home? Here is my process so far:

1. Alerted the management office who confirmed the bugs and scheduled a spray for tomorrow.
    2. Wash EVERYTHING that can be washed on HOT water and drying in a HOT dryer.
    3. Drying things that can go through the dryer for 30 minutes
    4. Double Bagging it all and marking it as "clean" and putting it up high.

Tomorrow the PCO is coming to spray and I am following his instruction for success to a T... but this is consuming me. We have working so hard for this new life, and I am NOT letting these guys take my happiness... and they are NOT coming with! After treatment, they will be back in 2 weeks to inspect/treat again. We don't have a lot of stuff here (the rest is in storage), so this is our after treatment/before we move plan:

1. Follow Post Treatment instructions
    2. The day before moving, re-wash/dry anything we have worn and put directly into an XXL zip lock bag (going to need a lot..)
    3. Reduce what we are taking. I know we don't HAVE to expose of our mattress, but I'm using this as an excuse, since it's old and saggy anyway.
    4. Wash/inspect all things that are going: Toys, dishes, hard surface items.

PCO says that we should be OK since this was an early, isolated issue. Even they couldn't find any evidence in any other room but ours. WHAT A RELIEF. But after reading some of these stories, I am worried it's hopeless/impossible/unattainable to move without taking at least one. Is what I am doing going to work? Or should I put it all in a pile and light it on fire?

PS: Success stories for moving without transferring would be appreciated. We have been through so much... (our daughter having cancer, struggling, husband going back to school, losing the first home we tried to buy, etc)... this was finally our chance at a better life.... please tell me my life won't be bugged forever.... :(

2. Tim m

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 14:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes it's possible to move without taking them with you. I did it in 2011 and was 100 percent bug free until two weeks ago. Different place nightmare neighbors.

3. bedbuggedinAR

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 14:34:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Tim m - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Yes it's possible to move without taking them with you. I did it in 2011 and was 100 percent bug free until two weeks ago. Different place nightmare neighbors.

Darn! I would have completely fallen apart! It seems like they are more common in shared units/apartments, but I know it's not impossible to get them in our single family home. I'm SO hoping that we caught it early enough, and this will just be an ugly road bump. I'm so sorry you have them again.... UGH!

4. Tim m

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 14:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I should of went into more detail what I did in 2011 Is pretty much what you are doing. Wash everything with hot water then dry on high I did mine for 120 minutes on high just to be safe. I checked everything that left the old apartment in good lighting with a good flashlight. For small cracks in furniture that I couldn't see I ran a credit card or something flat along edges. As for beds I didn't take the chance I tossed them I didn't feel a cover would work because I had small children and they would poke holes in the covers. It was a lot of work but I was able to move and not take them with me. And my landlord at the time would not pay for treatment so I moved and prayed I checked everything over.

5. bedbuggedinAR

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 15:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible to have caught them "early"? And is the limited number of bugs and their location a giveaway to higher success? Such as, we only saw 4, and we HAVE NOT seen them since. We have also returned to our room since that first night and have been sleeping in the same spot without any bites or evidence. They are still spraying, but I don't care. I DON'T want these little buggers in our new home.

6. Tim m

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 16 2017 15:24:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hard to say my situation was different your landlord is taking action mine did nothing. I only ever found them in my couch killed everything I found and checked it over really good. Went weeks without any bites. Thinking ok we caught this early because I have a terrible reaction to the bites. Then about a month after nothing no bites bugs I was laying in bed and one was on my pillow. That was when the moving prosses started. With a pco taking care of your issue you have much better odds.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956