Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

will painting wood furniture kill bugs?

(6 posts)
  1. Mama T

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2008 21:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm moving soon. I have a number of unfinished wood bookshelves That I was thinking of spraying down with Isopropyl alcohol and then painting with a latex paint. would this kill BBs and Eggs?

2. angie

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2008 23:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

NO!!! If the stuff is unfinished, try staining as that will kill the eggs and such. Paint will only cover them up. First hand knowledge!!

3. Mama T

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jul 27 2008 12:56:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Angie, are you saying that they can come through paint. ARRRRRRGGG!!!!! Even if I seal all the screw holes. I'm financially screwed if I have to throw all my furnishings away. Somethings hold sentimental value and could never be replaced. When this whole thing is boiled down to its essence I could come to terms with trowing some cheep but cool wood shelves away, it's the sentimental stuff, my framed artwork, my music books, electronics, and little precious things I've had since I was a child that would break my heart if I hand to trash.

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jul 27 2008 13:58:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Mama T,

Careful now, it's not that bad (Although I know it feels that way.) It sounds to me like Angie is saying that if you stain the furniture instead of paint it, the stain will kill BB even if the pain won't. Also, a number of people here have used clear silicone caulk to seal up holes that BB can hide in, so by staining the unfinished furniture and caulking the holes, you could probably keep the furniture.

Search the forums for the threads that describe the protocol librarians use to treat books and papers--those would work for your music books and the actual prints of art. As for the framed stuff, there's also the option to Vikane a truck full of belongings, including electronics and such.

I'm still new enough to this to remember clearly how desperate I felt when I first thought I was going to have to throw away a lot of items with sentimental value, but I promise that if you look around the forums, there are ways to treat most items.

Hang in there. It does get better.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jul 27 2008 15:23:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Mama T

Properly treated furniture can be saved. We hauled out any cheap stuff that was infested because it was cheap and we wanted to replace it anyhow.

Do you know your shelves infested?

See what your PCO says but if you intend to paint it ask your hardware guy for a paintable caulk to seal it first. I used the DAP Elastometric 230 on many things due to the fact you can get it in various colors including a clear, it flexes +/-25%, and is paintable.

The typical clear 100% silicone caulk is not paintable. Read the labels because they will state good for wood, metal and the paintability of it.

DAP makes a crystal clear caulk in their Alex Plus line that I found at Wal Mart and on wood it damn near vanishes. On metal it seems to react and I have "rusty" spots.

FWIW caulking every crack in furniture is a lot of messy work. A drawer you have to seal the seams on the inside, outside, upper, lower, front, and back of the cabinet.

A shelf you have the upper, lower, sides, and back not to mention the very outer edges on the back and any cracks or screw holes.

Jim

6. buggedmama

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Jul 31 2008 2:40:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Your time and effort and money would be better spent on having a PCO treat your unit and furniture as many times as possible before you move, and at least once again when you're in your new place.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,349 posts in 46,297 topics over 141 months by 20,409 of 21,248 members. Latest: nobugsinmanhattan, newbugpanic, berry1