Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Will frequent thorough chcking drive bbs into hiding?

(7 posts)
  1. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 7:01:38
    #

Login to Send PM

In my large family we have 1 person who doesn't react to bites and 3 who may not. We still have contact with people who have bb's, so I check mattresses every 2 days, lifting up and looking underneath, but I've been wondering if that will just make them hide further away and I won't see them when checking.

Any thoughts about a good regular inspection regimen?

2. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 8:03:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh someone who knows please answer this! I am driving my poor husband crazy asking him to help me lift mattress up to check between mattress and box springs. It has been over 6 weeks with the white sealed covers on the mattress/box springs and not a fleck of any poo or any signs. I wonder if they are still near the bed or in hiding. Mine have never been located (harborage) and only thing we have had to go on was bites then finding bedbug fece drops in between mattress and box springs...just flaky specks in a trail.

barelyliving, it sounds like things are improving for your family. I hope this type of diligence doesn't make things worse, I run around with a high power flashlight daily checking sofa seams, cracks, crevices, carrying my flashlight and magnifier...sigh, I guess this is my new hobby.

I hope the experts let us know!

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 13:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have always said monthly if you are inspecting to ensure you don't develop a problem and no more frequently than 2 weekly if you are having an active problem.

It is more because too much checking stresses people and there is a danger that checking become a compulsive activity.

There is also a lot to be said for the fact if you are checking daily you are looking for minute changes, the longer you wait between checking the more proof positive any evidence will be.

I also encourage people to inspect as they clean through the sleeping area monthly, sort of reminder to combine the two. We all lead busy lives and it just seems sensible to think that if we spend 180 hours per month sleeping in a bed 30 minutes inspecting and cleaned seems in order.

David

there is no one correct way to get rid of bed bugs, we all have to develop our own plan of action that works for us

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 14:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David!

5. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Oct 29 2008 14:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

You know what's funny - for me overchecking is a non-issue. I'm terrified to check the bed in the house I'm sleeping @ now. I have no reason whatsoever to believe the bugs followed me to this house, still though, flipping the mattress over & finding NOTHING would bring me a great deal of peace. Nonetheless, my life was so much better before I checked my first bed. I think Jess said it perfectly on her craiglist rant: "ignorance truly was bliss". Those words ran through my mind again and again when I first found the bugs. I can't help but feel like there is something to be said for ostrich syndrome - lol.

I know this is wrong, imprudent and impractical, but it gets me through the day, or night rather.

6. Crowinator

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Oct 31 2008 0:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad you asked this question. We have a storage bed with three large drawers on one side and six on the other, and for me, checking the bed involves taking off the mattress, unscrewing about a zillion screws in the three wooden boards that form the base for the mattress to rest on, moving those boards off the frame, taking out all of the drawers, and then climbing in among the wooden frame and inspecting with a flashlight. Then inspecting the drawers too. And trying to inspect the wooden boards even though they're big flat pieces of wood that are hard to move around. Seriously, checking our bed takes forever, and I always worry that while I'm fiddling around with one piece the bugs are moving to another behind my back, which makes me paranoid. I'm doing it every other weekend and I'm so tired of it. We're done with the PCO now (our contract covered four treatments) and not getting bites for a month, but I still have to check for piece of mind, and I'm still afraid to put my clothes away. I'm not sure how long to wait before I can stop taking our bed apart every two weeks, but I can't imagine doing it as part of a regular cleaning activity.

Then again, I'd rather take my bed apart once a month then live with bed bugs again. I spray the whole darn thing with Good Night, too, and maybe I'll keep that up until I die. The spraying is definitely in danger of being compulsive, like David said.

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Oct 31 2008 16:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

These were good posts about regular inspection! I hope the new bedbug traps will be developed where we can just set up in the bedroom and watch the trap for proof of a bedbug infestation.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,429 posts in 49,261 topics over 152 months by 21,591 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest