(10 posts)
  1. pissedoff

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 9:22:58
    #

Login to Send PM

the woodlouse?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse
    I have not found 1 BB on the sticky tape on the carpet, on the bed risers or on the bed legs but yet am still seeing the odd bug both inside and outside the tape (maybe 1 or 2 BB's per week I see during the DAY). So I obviously failed somewhere in my BB isolation.
    But what I AM finding on the sticky tape perimeter around the bed is about 12 or 13 woodlouse(*most likely* the woodlouse came because of the 2 humidifers I am running). Will DE also kill these things too since they molt their exoskeleton??? Or heres an even better question...Will DE kill ANYTHING that molts??

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 15:08:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi pissed,

We really only do bed bugs here. I would start with the wikipedia entry on DE and maybe consult Sean and the PCOs at thebedbugresource.com for advice. (I seem to remember Sean isn't keen on DE in general though.)

It sounds like you are seeing bed bugs even if you do not catch them. Are you getting professional treatment for them?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 15:49:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Gardeners use DE on all sorts of crawly things soft bodied and those with an exoskeleton: Cockroaches, Ants, earwigs, slugs. Farmers use it in the granaries to kill cereal bugs.

4. bekalekah

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 7:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Just hours after I read this post, I found 4 or 5 of those woodlouse in a trap near my living room radiator. Kinda freaked me out for a second! (It was really hot in my apartment when I got back from vacation, they must like heat/humidity.) Don't understand why they are so stupid as to walk across the sticky trap, yet we've never caught a bb that way. I'm gonna ask my PCO today for more traps just to get these guys. How many of THOSE do I have crawling around?? Harmless, I know, but still.....

Also had a silverfish crawl out of my desk while inspecting it. Geez.

5. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 7:58:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Psocids (as most entomologists refer to them) or woodlice (we hate the lice term in the name because it gives them a bad connotation when in fact they are nothing like lice) exist naturally in the home feeding on many things. Here's an piece of a fact sheet online:

Booklice feed most commonly on molds as well as fungi, grains, insect fragments, and other starchy material, including glue from book bindings. In homes, they can be found in damp, warm, undisturbed places where mold and fungi are growing. They are more likely to be a problem during summer. They are rarely damaging inside buildings but they can become a nuisance because of their presence, especially when they occur in large numbers.

Dehumidifiers can help. Some companies may apply residual pesticides for them but some do not because the kicker with these guys is that they are in 90-100% of peoples homes and there isn't always a whole lot you can do about it. Obviously, if you catch 100 a day on sticky boards you may have a larger problem but one here and one there you are going to have a tough, if not impossible, time getting rid of.

6. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 8:51:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question.Has anyonr caught one on sticky tape? Maybe they are are able to walk on it without getting stuck? I know that's an awful idea,but with as much tape as people seem to be using I can't recall anyone mentioming a capture using it.Unless they just avoid it for some reason?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 11:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bugologist--thanks for referring to the fact sheet, but please also add the link in future so folks can read the whole thing. (It also avoids any accusations of plagiarism!) Thanks

8. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 8:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugbasher I'm sure they have caught them on tape but a lot of people may not notice them due to their size and I guarantee that since people are looking for bed bugs, they may see these on the tape and without a microscope and trained eye, assume they are bed bugs.

NoBugs, sorry about that. You're right about the plagiarism thing.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e611psocid.html

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 8:49:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry just a quick post to correct a small error Psocids are booklice not woodlice as stated above.

I have only seen 1 UK case of Psocids and I think the biting was more paranoia and something like chitin hypersensativity. I did not treat it chemically but recommended the dehumidifier route. That was about 3 - 4 months ago and I have not had a call back.

I may have a few pictures from the samples I collected but they really are on the edge of most peoples eye sight detection.

Regards,

David Cain

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 11:24:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, meant to say barklice (outdoors) and booklice (indoors). Regardless, they are the same order of insects with different common names (that's why I hate common names).

I've never heard of them biting by arthropod sensitivity is a possibility. I've collected hundreds on sticky boards in every setting you can imagine (offices, apartments, homes, warehouses, schools, etc...) but should not be a suspect in reported bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams