Will DDVP Work For Me?

(5 posts)
  1. El Salvaje

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 21 2017 16:30:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to read (and hopefully!) respond to my post. Here’s the situation, I’ve got what is probably a moderate infestation. I live alone so the bed bugs just have me to feed on. It’s a condo and I know for a fact I brought them here so they’re not coming from a neighbor’s place. I’ve definitely got them harboring in my mattress/box spring and sofa. Not a shock at all since I’m pretty much only here to sleep and maybe watch tv for an hour or two. I’ve only seen them in these two places but I’m sure they’re in the nearby carpeting and baseboards, etc. I definitely underestimated how tenacious they are and so that’s how it got this far.

Thanks to the informative posts on this thread I came up with a possible solution and wanted to run it by everyone. I’m lucky enough to be able to vacate my place for at least two weeks and probably up to four weeks if I really have to. I’m thinking that if I encase the mattress, box spring, and sofa and drop a 16g DDVP strip in each and then hang ten 65g DDVPs throughout the rest of the place (1200’ sq w/8’ ceilings = 9600’ cubed, right?) for 2+ weeks that this might take care of the problem? To prep I’d cover all the wall outlets and put some plastic insulation sheeting over the windows. Additionally I would prep a few loads of clothes by drying on high and immediately bagging and taking to my car. When I put the last load in the dryer I’m going to hang the DDVP strips, hop in the shower, put those clothes on and leave right away. I’d be able to come back as frequently as necessary to check on things, etc. but know that’s not ideal and so can definitely avoid opening my door for a week or longer.

Does this plan have a decent chance at success? If so, that would be great because it would cost me less than $200, maybe even less than $150. Upon returning I’d keep the bed encased, but not the sofa. I’m going to put interceptors on both and encircle them with DE. I’m also going to use “safe” (aka freshly dried) clothes when using either piece of furniture. I’m going to take a quick walk while they’re drying and then strip naked outside of the safe zone before changing within the safe zone.

Am I crazy for thinking there’s a chance of success here? Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks everyone!

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 21 2017 19:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

3. Helerown

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Dec 21 2017 20:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting bugged-cdn...thanks for posting that thread. I'm really not up for playing around with something that could be dangerous. My place has already been treated with three different chemicals a week ago and is being treated again tomorrow. My only concern is all the things I have bagged that can't be treated via wash and dryer. Any suggestions as to what I can do with those things that won't cost me an insane amount more of money than I've already spent?

4. thirdusername

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Dec 22 2017 1:36:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Helerown - 5 hours ago  » 
    My only concern is all the things I have bagged that can't be treated via wash and dryer. Any suggestions as to what I can do with those things that won't cost me an insane amount more of money than I've already spent?

Buy a packtite heater bag.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  5. Pattycake

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Dec 22 2017 14:27:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a thermal strike. Reasonably priced and on the large side. I have had no issues with mine and have used it off and on for a year.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,372 posts in 46,557 topics over 141 months by 20,533 of 21,396 members. Latest: jidhvs1, Darrellkking, jojo