Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Will BBs avoid climbups?

(3 posts)
  1. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 15:15:30
    #

Login to Send PM

In January we stayed in a hospital and seen a bedbug. Unfortunately we had already brought half of our stuff home. Fast forward two months, I was getting bites, and finally found one on my couch. I had been sleeping there since the hospital. We threw out the couch, steamed everything possible, and put DE literally everywhere. Then began treating our stuff. EVERY item we brought with us was treated with heat. Stuff was run through the washer and dryer, boiling water, or steamed with a very high temp steamer. We found a few more bugs in various places in that room. Everything was put into ziplocks and then into bins. ALL furniture was thrown out, as well as anything we couldn't treat. A month and a half later we moved into a new apartment. At that point we had not seen any bugs or gotten any bites in a month...but there was DE on literally every surface of that apartment and everything was still packed air tight. The new furniture was delivered to the new apartment. The beds are fully encased, mattresses and boxsprings. We have climb ups on the new beds. We've been here now for 6 weeks. I've been searching for any sign that we might have brought them along, but I am finding nothing. I'm wondering though, if they might avoid climb ups? Is it possible they are here and just avoiding our beds because of those? We did EVERYTHING possible to avoid bringing them...but I still constantly have the creeps. I replaced most of my stuff, moved to another apartment, went three months without bites, and I am STILL creeping around half the night with a flashlight and swatting at invisible bugs. I've read damn near every guide on ditching bedbugs...but how exactly does one ditch the HEADbugs? lol. Would I know by now if we brought any along? Should I be using the climb ups?

2. hatebedbugscheer

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 18:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I have a question about your move. Did you use any Vikane in the truck when you moved?

Did you launder all your clothes again before bringing them to your new apartment ?

I’m thinkinf about moving and was just curious.

Thanks !

3. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jul 14 2018 19:17:55
    #

Login to Send PM

We moved with very little. Clothes, dishes, kids toys, and computers. Everything that was moved was heat treated in some way, including the outside of the bins themselves on moving day. The computers were blown out with an air compressor and binned with pest strips. We didn't use vikane in the truck because it wouldn't do any good anyway with everything being air tight. Most of the clothing was washed and dried on high heat only once, but it was kept in air tight ziplock bags, that were also in plastic bins, until moving day. I packed them straight out of the dryer. I double checked the "zippers" on the bags before moving, none came undone. If they had, I'd have re dried those items. The stuff we wore in between was washed a few more times, but only because they were worn again. If you're planning to move, I suggest picking up a ton of the XL ziplock bags, and some plastic bins. Cardboard boxes are a commonly made mistake. Vikane in a truck is not a bad idea in my opinion, especially if you intend to bring any items that wouldn't fit in an air tight container. It's not a bad idea at all, just wouldn't have worked for us.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,395 posts in 48,808 topics over 150 months by 21,434 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson