Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Why will isolation spread the bugs, won't it kill them?

(5 posts)
  1. bugmomma

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 25 2008 14:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read the FAQs, and obsessed about these damn critters in general, but there is still one thing I don't get. If I isolate my bed using a moat of mineral oil in a bowl, and double sided carpet tape on the legs won't the bugs hopefully drown in the moat or get stuck in the tape. I don't understand why this would spread them around the house or cause them to climb walls and drop from the ceiling. I'd be trapping them instead of repelling them, and sending them elsewhere, right? You aren't saying that they'll figure it out as they are drowning and shout to their friends, right? Please tell me they aren't that smart.

thanks for your help.

Bugmomma

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 25 2008 15:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm guessing that isolation works to contain and kill them rather than spread them for two reasons.

The first piece is that isolating the bed and having either mechanical (like DE) or residual chemicals in places that the bugs will have to cross as they try to get to you means that you still serve as bait to lure them out of hiding so that they cross the killing stuff *but* you remain safe enough from them so that you can actually get some sleep.

The second piece is that completely isolating the bed in the case of a really extreme infestation (i.e. when the bugs decide to become paratroopers who jump into your bed from above) may be less effective. I'm also assuming that isolating the avoids spreading the infestation because the bugs can still sense the CO2 and heat of their prey, so they just keep trying to get at the food they can smell, as opposed to going elsewhere.

I didn't isolate the bed, much, and I generally had a really different experience than a lot of people because I used a very different treatment method, but I am curious to hear from, say, people who isolated the bed and had other potential hosts in other places in their residences (I live in a one bedroom apartment, me and my cat who likes to sleep with/on top of me, so there was pretty much one place with food sources at all times.) I'm also curious to hear from professionals why isolating the bed doesn't lead to a spreading infestation. (I suspect like so much else, when someone explains it, then it'll totally make sense.)

3. BugMomma1

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Sep 4 2008 14:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Kindly discontinue use of the name "BugMomma". It's a copyrighted name.
    Thank you....

~THE BugMomma©

4. madNalberta

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 8 2009 17:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone know?

5. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 2 2011 11:53:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Ive isolated my bed and not really seen any big spreading.I aslo got DE on floor and in all cracks and electric outlets.havnt seen any bugs in about a week.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,219 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls