Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Why going by bites...

(6 posts)
  1. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 9:23:49
    #

Login to Send PM

..As an indicator of whether they are gone is very very bad. Especially if you don't really react to them.

Yesterday I was stoked because it had been one week since my last bite, last signs, last everything for the time being. When I was about to go for a shower I noticed little red dots on my bum cheek. There was a line of four super tiny ones then one bigger one with about 3 punctures near by it. I have no idea how to tell how old the smaller ones are and when I rubbed at the bigger one, the scab came off but it hadn't actually started healing yet (save for a small clot). Old ones can flare up but I am 99.99% certain they would not bleed once more so easily if they were old.

My mattress is located directly on the floor with a mattress case on it. If I put duct tape around the area of my mattress (sticky side up) would they be able to get across so they do not bite me?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 12:22:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Unless you bum has been particularly exposed of late is not likley to have been the preferred target of hungry bedbug.

I have seen too many blood spots turn out to have been from contact allergies and either leave marks or in many heal up within minutes to see them as a diagnostic tool or indication. Especially since more and more people are reporting skin issues post exposure to bedbugs.

They are worth noting in a diary to try and find a personal pattern but as a remote diagnostic tool they are useless. I have worked with too many thousands of people for patterns not to become apparent in the data I have collected.

There are just too many variables for them to be accurate given the wider picture.

Our jobs would be a lot simpler if there were a reliable link but there is not.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 13:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I also wrote a post once about why bites patterns are unreliable.
    - Before I knew I had bedbugs I had "bites" on my upper body and arms, chalked it up to a rash or some sort of thing (yes, many were in clusters of three)
    - Confirmed that I had bedbugs, figured "aha" now I know what these "bites" are
    - Fast forward to one year bb free, still have these same danged "bites"
    - Went to a dermatologist, was diagnosed with a fungal infection, given meds, told to use virgin coconut oil instead of lotion
    - Once week later, skin was clear!

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 20:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

That is an excellent point, Buggy (and David of course)

I've heard other experts say a high percentage of skin conditions are not BB related for people who haven't had a confirmed case of BBs. However, some people report bite and needle like sensations post treatment.

We are taught to trust our eyes (or our bodies), but there are too many factors, if I understand correctly.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 20:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding my bum being exposed. Yes. The blankets come off sometimes while I'm sleeping.

Lately my skin hasn't come into contact with anything it usually wouldn't that's why I'm like "Aughhhh nope they're still here."

6. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Dec 20 2013 20:56:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding my bum being exposed. Yes. The blankets come off sometimes while I'm sleeping.

Lately my skin hasn't come into contact with anything it usually wouldn't that's why I'm like "Aughhhh nope they're still here."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs