Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

why do bed bugs stop feeding?

(11 posts)
  1. buggybrains

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 22:02:15
    #

Login to Send PM

why do bed bugs stop feeding for a while and then feed again?

i read a lot of articles stating that "...bed bugs can stop feeding for blah blah blah months and years..."
    its not like they are hibernating for the winter... because bed bugs feed during that time too. they arent bears.

if i was a bug or had the powers of a bed bug, i would eat eat eat.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 17 2012 22:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that they will continue to eat if they can get to a blood
    meal.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bittenbitter

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 2:53:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Won't they quit if they sense danger, such as pesticides and the such? I also heard that in heavily populated infestations, the females tend to meander off and hibernate to avoid the unfortunate mating rituals if they are being repeatedly pierced.

4. bittenbitter

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 2:54:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Mind you, just what I've heard...

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 3:04:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

So long as food is available bedbugs will feed, their ability to survive as adults without food is a survival adaptation to combat periods of no food not a mechanism to avoid detection.

The theory that females flee males to avoid breeding is a false one and has been disproven experimentally.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. bittenbitter

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 3:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Sweet. Thanks David.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 9:19:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

A few comments for your consideration:

> As DC points out, females do not migrate or flee due to mating. This has been documented/published by Dr. Richard Naylor as well as others. And, it's not what we see in the field and actual infested account locations.

> Why do bed bugs stop feeding? Firstly, we need to understand that bed bugs are in fact "wild animals". Agreed, it may be tough to consider an insect/bed bug as an animal, and certainly we're not going to see an episode of "Wild Kingdom" devoted to bed bugs as they roam the African savanah however, they are in fact animals.

Note that, for various reasons, we often erroniously imprint human characterisitcs and behavior on animals. However, we need to remember or keep in mind that the predominant factor that affect and drive animal behavior is survival of the species. Whether it's baby turtles attempting to scramble from their nest beneath the sand only to get picked off in biblical numbers by birds and other predators or bed bugs hiding within your bed frame waiting for you to fall asleep, for the most part, insects/animals do what animals do !

Bed bugs don't go on diets. Bed bugs don't have a "humanhoster dot com" website or attend "human meetings" or seminars to learn how to defeat the efforts of the DIYers, DCs or KQs of the world. They're just bugs !

Why do they stop feeding indeed? Firstly, who says they've stopped feeding at all? Perhaps we're just not reacting or have not noticed feeding?

Consider that a well fed bed bug need not feed and, regarding survival, is likely better served to remain hidden within the safety of the harborage.

While I often cringe at analogies; consider a bed bug need to feed kinda-sorta like your auto's fuel tank. The bed bug fills up, consumes the the fuel and then needs to re-fuel.

Of interest may be what occurs during the "consumption phase" of this sequence of events. If the bed bug in question is an immature then the fuel or food resource is used for development/metamorphosis. If the individual is an adult then the fuel is utilized for survival of the individual and the species to support reproduction needs.

Observe animals and see what they do. For the most part, survival is the result of conservation of resources. The harsher the climate the more important this becomes.

How long can bed bugs last without feeding? Sure, we've all seen the "records" of such survivability however, these are reference points and there will be variability amongst individuals.

Do bed bugs stop feeding as a result of pest control efforts? Or, have these effoprts resulted in the elimination of those bed bugs most accessible during treatment or most likely to have bitten ? Hmmm ? Are we thinking that a bed bug can figure out that the pest controllers have just sprayed in this home so he better stay hidden for a few weeks? No, this doesn't happen. Think about it. If bed bugs did possess such capabilities, we'd probably never be able to kill any bed bugs because they'd be able to figure us out.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

8. bedbug_OCD

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 15:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Do bed bugs need to feed in order to mate?

9. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 16:05:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ocd,

Feed in order to mate?

Do you mean like, "hey let's go to dinner and maybe back to my place" feed to mate; or just feed in general?

While I'm unsure if feeding is s prerequisite to mating, it is necessary for both males and females to feed in order to be able to produce viable eggs and sperm. And, this has been studied.

I suppose what's more important is that for viable reproduction to take place adult male and female bed bugs must feed in order to have the necessary biological resources available for production of their respective reproductive elements.

(See, even though it appeared I might have strayed to the dark side of this topicality, it ended in a rather clinical fashion.)

Hope thi shelps, have a nice day ! paul b.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 2 2012 17:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi OCD,

As presented by the fine researchers at Sheffield University in the UK the stimuli to mate is actually a well fed female. Males will in fact ignore a female until she has fed and then its not usual for 5 males to mate or attempt mating shortly after.

The queue is the body shape as unfed females can re-position themselves to make mating difficult or impossible. This was elucidates by injecting air into females to see if it made the males get a little hot under the collar.

It is not however essential for males to feed in order to have the desire to mate with females.

The mating habits of bedbugs is actually a fascinating subject in itself and it is difficult to attribute all of the physical and biological mechanisms involved to anything other than one of the most efficient and highly evolved breeding processes on the planet.

I dare say that it is in fact one of the reasons why they are such efficient colonizers although others may claim that they are not as efficient as they would appear (personally I would say they need to get out from behind the desk and study them in the field more like good field biologists do).

David

11. bittenbitter

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 4 2012 3:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, no kidding! Do they see how fast these things multiply?!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982