Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Why can't I find them? Do I have them? My story

(5 posts)
  1. Scared88

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 7:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

This is long, I'm sorry. But I figure I'll go ahead and document my story, and hopefully one day I'll be able to come back and say it wasn't BBs. Or I'll prove my biggest fear and update that it is. Here goes ....

I've been lurking on this site since an initial scare back in 2017. Time passed and skin reactions stopped, so I gave that one up. Fast forward to January of this year. I notice some random red bumps on my daughter 1x a week or so. Both my kids have sensitive skin so I don't pay much attention. Toward the end of January, my son starts getting some weird skin marks - tiny punctures and scabs - this is unlike anything I've seen before. So I'm on alert. Beginning of February, my husband comes home from a business trip with 2 itchy bumps on his fingers - swears up and down not BBs (he's encountered them live in hotels before). At this point, I'm documenting every skin reaction, because the very next day I wake up with 3 tiny punctures/scabs on my hand. Fast forward over the past 2 months, all members of my family are getting random skin reactions (ONLY on EXPOSED skin), ranging from tiny almost invisible punctures to scabs to pimples to, last night, big swollen welts that itch.

Over this time period, I have encased all box springs and mattresses, installed climb-ups under all bed posts, installed a Passive monitor on the sofa, had Orkin do an inspection (negative, but this was early Feb). All I've been able to catch is a few carpet beetles and spring tails.

I've read all about CB dermatitis and I just don't think it's that. We've had carpet beetles for YEARS and all of a sudden everyone in the house is reacting at the same time? I don't buy it.

I've also broken down both my kids beds and don't find anything in the frames. I vaccuum like mad. Yet I can't find anything concrete. I AM LOSING MY MIND. It's very unnerving to be covered in "bites" and not find the source (I know I'm not alone here). I also find it strange that if we did bring BBs home (the potential sources are endless: husband travels, kids in daycare and school, my office, unaware family/friends, etc.) that they would be already set up in each of 3 bedrooms. Kids aren't hanging out on the couch much so I doubt their bites are happening there.

I really don't know how much longer I can do this. I cry a lot. I'm depressed. I'm obsessed. I'm anxious. And it's hurting my relationship - my husband is in complete denial. I want to call for a K9 inspection or another PCO, but he refuses. I just want answers...

2. Damnation

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 11:06:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in the same position as you. No bites no bugs. I have read these forums for years but only today have I made an account so I could tell you that I am the only one in my house with bites and we cant find any bugs this time. We have been good for 2 years. My brother last year finally admitted to having bbs. We decided to help them because we knew he was incapable of handling it himself. My GF and I had become BB masters by the time he came out with them. He was really bad off. His room was completely covered. We were so confident that we went to go help him thinking we were the masters But this time we are stumped. Im getting bites and its starting to be a lot of bites but no bugs.

Im going to post my entire story. Keep an eye out on the forums. Maybe you will gain some insight from it. It may sound crazy but I promise you everything I am about to post is the truth.

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 12:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Scared88 - 5 hours ago  » 
    This is long, I'm sorry. But I figure I'll go ahead and document my story, and hopefully one day I'll be able to come back and say it wasn't BBs. Or I'll prove my biggest fear and update that it is. Here goes ....
    I've been lurking on this site since an initial scare back in 2017. Time passed and skin reactions stopped, so I gave that one up.

This may be how the current situation ends as well. In 2017 were the skin reactions also in colder months?

Fast forward to January of this year. I notice some random red bumps on my daughter 1x a week or so. Both my kids have sensitive skin so I don't pay much attention. Toward the end of January, my son starts getting some weird skin marks - tiny punctures and scabs - this is unlike anything I've seen before. So I'm on alert. Beginning of February, my husband comes home from a business trip with 2 itchy bumps on his fingers - swears up and down not BBs (he's encountered them live in hotels before). At this point, I'm documenting every skin reaction, because the very next day I wake up with 3 tiny punctures/scabs on my hand. Fast forward over the past 2 months, all members of my family are getting random skin reactions (ONLY on EXPOSED skin), ranging from tiny almost invisible punctures to scabs to pimples to, last night, big swollen welts that itch.

Documenting skin lesions just leads to finding more skin lesions that in a normal setting you would probably not even notice or if you did notice not think much of. The act of documenting will increase the amount that are found.
    Skin reactions only occurring on exposed skin could be for that very reason, the skin is exposed in those areas and missing the protective benefit of a layer of clothing. Also, exposed skin is, well, exposed, so if there are any marks or blemishes they are of course much easier to spot than on covered areas.

Over this time period, I have encased all box springs and mattresses, installed climb-ups under all bed posts, installed a Passive monitor on the sofa, had Orkin do an inspection (negative, but this was early Feb). All I've been able to catch is a few carpet beetles and spring tails.
    I've read all about CB dermatitis and I just don't think it's that. We've had carpet beetles for YEARS and all of a sudden everyone in the house is reacting at the same time? I don't buy it.

Okay, so you've spent a fair amount of time and money on strategies aimed directly at excluding or exposing bed bugs and nothing has changed, what does that tell you?

I've also broken down both my kids beds and don't find anything in the frames. I vaccuum like mad. Yet I can't find anything concrete. I AM LOSING MY MIND. It's very unnerving to be covered in "bites" and not find the source (I know I'm not alone here). I also find it strange that if we did bring BBs home (the potential sources are endless: husband travels, kids in daycare and school, my office, unaware family/friends, etc.) that they would be already set up in each of 3 bedrooms. Kids aren't hanging out on the couch much so I doubt their bites are happening there.
    I really don't know how much longer I can do this. I cry a lot. I'm depressed. I'm obsessed. I'm anxious. And it's hurting my relationship - my husband is in complete denial. I want to call for a K9 inspection or another PCO, but he refuses. I just want answers...

I think you've done quite a bit with the focus on bed bugs and have found no valuable benefit to these actions, it's time to look elsewhere; you may want to consult your family doctor so that they can give you some suggestions to hopefully find the cause.

4. Scared88

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 13:06:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate your insights, Big Dummy. I realize it sounds (and may very well be) that I'm barking up the wrong tree. But these "bites" are so different than anything we've ever experienced before, and no the previous scare was in warmer months where any of the normal biting bugs could have been the culprit.

I do have a dermatology appointment middle of next month (soonest I could get in). Maybe that will shed some light...

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Mar 29 2019 13:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I wasn't thinking warm months because of the insects, I was thinking cold months because of the changes in your skin that can come with a low humidity, low temperature environment.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver