Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Why are Packtites illegal in Canada?

(5 posts)
  1. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 7:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone had a bad experience with one? Fires?? There must be a reason they are illegal in Canada. Baby walkers, for instance, are illegal in Canada, and I think that was a smart call.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 7:32:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

They are not illegal, they are not approved products, the same reason exists for the EU.

All electrical appliances in the EU need to comply with a set of standards called CE, products that are sold which are not CE approved carry a fine to the retailer which is why they cant currently be sold.

This issue is being worked on and hopefully soon it will be resolved.

I hope that clarifies the issue.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 8:21:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Electrical products in Canada have to have approval by the CSA.

David James is working on getting them available to Canadians but it takes time to get approvals.

Jim

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 10:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

::points upward::

What they said.

It's less that Packtites are illegal in the sense of having been banned or forbidden and more that Packtites have not yet received initial approval for sale.

It may be hard to imagine given how blithely a lot of us talk about Packtite, but the device hasn't been around that long. I had bed bugs in June 2008; there was no Packtite at the time. I'm not exactly sure when it went on the market, but it was longer than 8 months after that.

Given how slowly government bureaucracies work, it's not really that surprising that it hasn't received approval yet. Remember, the Canadian government has also never approved Vikane for use either. That one makes sense too; Vikane, after all, was inititally used widely in the US for drywood termites, not bed bugs. Drywood termites are a problem in hot, dry climates, and Vikane cannot be used in its most common method (that is without supplemental heating) when ambient temps drop below about 40 degrees F.

Since Canada doesn't have vast stretches of land with a climate like the US's desert southwest or subtropical south east where termites are a frequent problem, there's far less callfor Vikane on a large scale, and far less profit margin for companies to put the work into getting approval for it to be used. In addition, I'm not sure how old the methods of using Vikane with supplemental heat are, but if they're new, then that's more reason that no one would have pushed to get it approved. After all, I am not USian enough to think it rains and snows in every part of Canada every day of the year (don't get me started on people who act like Vancouver is snowy and arctic all the time . . .), but it is true that you guys have a lot more days in a the average year during which the temp drops below 40 F than, say, those of us in southern California or south Florida do.

5. Louise

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 10:30:37
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 2 minutes ago  » 
    but it is true that you guys have a lot more days in a the average year during which the temp drops below 40 F than, say, those of us in southern California or south Florida do.

Ugh.

Don't remind me of that. We're just heading into the cold season up here.

Blech.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714