Why are foggers and bombs STILL being sold to treat bed bugs? [new study]

(12 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 1:08:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Why are foggers and bombs still being sold to treat bed bugs? A new study reinforces the idea that they don't work well.

Check out this blog post on Bedbugger.com for more on this
    -- and please leave comments on that post if you have them.

Thanks for reading!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 7:26:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ALL:

The reason is simple: $$$

Under the existing parameters manufacturers can site the efficacy of a contact type trial/test and place their marketing claims on the product label.

Everyone "in the know" is virtually "singing the same song" as to the use of such products. There are no published credible efficacly studies.

Perhaps if concsumers take the time to return such products and ask for their money back this would help. However, if you're waiting for the manufacturer to voluntarily remove the marketing claims or the product rom the market and/or for a regulatory aganecy to stop them from being marketed; you may have a long wait.

(By the way, those pest sonic repeller devices are also marketed under such claims as well.)

As such, stay the course and continue to provide people with accurate information.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 11:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,
    There's actually NOW a published credible efficacy study. Please read the blog post I linked to above.

I encourage anyone to comment on the blog post itself if they have feedback-- your words will reach a wider audience this way. (Your forums login works there too.)

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 12:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Just refreshing so more will see this.

5. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2012 12:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just about to post this same question when I noticed this thread after I entered "foggers and bombs" in my subject line.

With all of the rules and regulations, especially here in the States, I'm wondering how it could still be legal to sell these products. Aren't they under some kind of regulatory control? I mean, not only do they not treat the problem, in many cases they make it worse. Is there any government agency that we can write to in complaint (better business bureau?).

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2012 13:08:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Better business bureau and FTC are your best bets to complain along with state senators and the EPA as regulatory bodies.

However you better pack your sandwiches as it will be a long fight against the lobbyists as these products sell several times more on an annual basis than the whole professional pest management industry does in turnover and therefore there are some vested interests you need to fight.

I raised this very issue with some UK trade bodies just yesterday. The UK market for professional pest control is about £23,000,000 per year. The over the counter (ineffective for bedbugs) market is £230,000,000 per year.

Sadly there are still lots of have a go heroes out there, its just a wonder to me why more people don't attempt their own open heart surgeries, in many cases its an easier procedure.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2012 13:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Additionally, most folks who shop for such products will never get to read the published data or articles thereof.

pb

8. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 31 2012 13:39:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Excellent information. I indeed will write the BBB and FTC and inform them of the published study. It may be an exercise in futility, but it's kind of like voting, I feel that it's my civic duty.

9. ToWar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Dec 7 2012 23:28:49
    #

Login to Send PM

My sister claims that her friends at her college recommends that she use a fogger because they used a bed bug bomb and ever since then they haven't had a problem.

I'm refusing to go to that cheap method because i know how sneaky they are.

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 10:42:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, if your sister's college friend's brother's uncle's sister in law's nephew's, twice removed, neighbor's partner's daughter's college professor's son's roomate; knows a guy who knows a guy's girlfriend that heard that her best friend's roommate maybe had bed bugs and used a bed bug bomb and it worked for them then that's probably good enough for anyone who's cousin's sister's neighbor's aunt's brother in law's fishing buddy needs to know what to do about his bed bugs.

Just sayin !

paul b.

11. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 16:13:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Uh Paul, I'm having a little trouble deciphering your post. . . so it's ok to use a bed bug bomb? Seriously Paul, lmao!

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 8 2012 17:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry it that was confusing. It was an attempt at sarcastic humor.

No, the currently available total release aerosol bed bug "bombs" are not effective and should not be used for bed bug control !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie