Who should pay

(8 posts)
  1. BugDrummer

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 14:33:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so my roommates and I recieved bed bugs weeks ago, we just had an exterminator come (Heat Treated no bites since) in and we actually found out who it was that gave it to us, this buddy of ours who had them at his place, packed his things and took off traveling around the midwest while he was getting sprayed, problem is we can't afford to pay for out treatment and I feel that since he gave it to us HE should have to pay for it

BTW he's a bit of a hard-headed asshole about that sort of thing

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 14:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To stand a chance of getting your money of them you really need to talk to a lawyer rather than the forum.

Oddly enough I know in the UK there is legal comeback if an item comes into a property due to an infested item but where the law stands with individuals could be a tough one. If all else fails there is always Judge Judy.

You also want to check up on local housing law to see who is responsible for the costs in your area.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 14:53:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Just out of curiosity, did the guy you think infested you "pack his things" in your apartment? Or how did this happen?

Your landlord may have been responsible for treatment if you have one, but it is probably going to be very hard to get them to pay after you arranged for your own treatment, if that's the case.

As for this other guy, as David said, you could talk to a lawyer and small claims court may be an option, but we're not qualified to give legal advice.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. BugDrummer

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 15:02:04
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as i know, the guys packed the stuff from his apartment, then slept at our house in my bed (i Was at my parents at the time recovering from surgery), no one gets bit until i come back then like a week later i start getting bit, our landlord refuses to pay because she says we have a lot of foot traffic and the people we hang out with are eclectic (dirty hippies, which is offensive), but the landlord worked with the company to treat our apartment but we are getting hung with the bill

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 15:10:22
    #

Login to Send PM

You should consult the local laws because your landlord may not be able to refuse to pay based on the issues mentioned. It depends on local laws.

If they say landlords must eliminate bed bugs (or pests), it's likely he has to pay anyway (despite the house guest who maybe did bring them in).

In some places, responsibility (who brought them in) is a factor in deciding if landlords pay, and in this case, from the landlord's perspective you are responsible.

Local tenants' organizations can usually advise on the local rules but we can try and help if you say where you are. (You can PM this to me if you like.)

As for suing that guy, you'd have to seek out legal advice (find out about small claims court, I think.)

6. Alicew234

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 15:53:23
    #

Login to Send PM

You could have also gotten them from work, on a bus or while trying on clothes at fancy schmancy store. This guy didn't invent bedbugs and bring them in a little bottle and release them in your house.. They're out there. He might have brought them in...but you might have gotten them from a library book, too.

See, this is why people want to kill themselves over bedbugs- blame and shame!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 16:50:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Alicew234 - 55 minutes ago  » 
    You could have also gotten them from work, on a bus or while trying on clothes at fancy schmancy store. This guy didn't invent bedbugs and bring them in a little bottle and release them in your house.. They're out there. He might have brought them in...but you might have gotten them from a library book, too.
    See, this is why people want to kill themselves over bedbugs- blame and shame!

I agree with this and I think generally people should avoid the bed bug blame game.

That said, I do think people with bed bugs should disclose this to hosts offering overnight accommodations and take precautions to avoid spreading bed bugs.

Not sure if someone could take that to court but as I said we're not the ones to advise on that.

8. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 9 2013 17:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Just one more tale of many in the continuing saga of "As the Bed Bugs Crawl" . Of course if you have Time Warner in NY and its on CBS you may never see it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn