Which treatments work and which don't

(6 posts)
  1. ImGoingBuggie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 12:10:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I have never seen any bed bugs but I have extremely large (quarter size) red welts that itch like crazy, so it is obvious that something is biting me. I have treated my efficiency (2 rooms) size apartment with vacuuming from ceiling to floor and all the furniture (inside and under) including all tables, cabinets and shelves. My apartment is an end unit 2nd floor apartment and one entire wall in my unit is Concrete. Anyways, after vacuuming everywhere obsessively (following bagging all bedding and clothing), I then steam cleaned everywhere that I had vacuumed. After bagging, vacuuming and steaming, I sprayed everywhere with treatments spray. I continued to get bites following these treatments, sometimes as early as an hour or two after completion of the treatment process. The process is done thoroughly and in the same order as I have stated and the only thing that I have changes is the kind of spray I used in hopes that it would work better then the prior process did. I have done this treatment process three times now in a two (2) week time frame and even though I have never seen any bugs living or otherwise, I continue to get bites. Why? What am I doing wrong? As I stated, I have never seen any bugs but I have lived in my apartment for 5 months and didn't start getting bites until living in my apartment for 4 months and a week. I have only been having a problem for the last three (3) weeks. upon moving into my apartment, I had a few of the neighbors in the building inform me that the building has had bed bug problems off and on over the past few months and unfortunately my landlord failed to mention it when I moved in. I don't know what else to do. I had initially taken preventative measures in hopes that I wouldn't be subject to the problem like the other tenants have, but I was unsuccessful because I was only able to avoid the problem for the first four (4) months that I lived here. Help please....

2. Frauleinash

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 12:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Right now, you're going on speculation only and not facts. For starters, the marks you speak of might not be bug bites at all, you could be having an allergic reaction to something and causing your own welts when scratching. How many 'bites' are there and how often do you get new 'bites'? The number of times you've been bitten, the location, and patterns can help you narrow down your possibilities. The problem is that you don't know if you have them, so your first step should be to locate them. You said that you have had several treatments, but you didn't mention what specific treatment they used. I'm guessing that the landlord knows about the issue if he's paying for treatment, which means that he will likely keep treating.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2016 0:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you found fecal stains? Bed bugs hide well, but each time you're bitten, they defecate nearby, so fecal stains will be present and are often the first thing people find.

We always advise visually verifying a bed bug problem before treating-- this means finding bed bugs, fecal stains, eggs or cast skins, and getting the ID verified by someone qualified (our experts can often do this from a photo).

Otherwise, you can't know if the treatment is working or not. Because you may be attempting to treat the wrong problem.

To answer your question: "Which treatments work and which don't?" It's usually down to more of the knowledge and skill of the person doing the treatment, rather than the method. That said, steam + residual pesticide spray + dust can work well, but some sprays and dusts and steaming tools work better than others, and you can do these things well or not very well.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. ImGoingBuggie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2016 19:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

When my bites first started they were (appeared to be) in a line. Best described as a string of bites that were small, red bites in a series of 3-5. It seemed to be while I slept and that I was waking up with bites. Then as the days went by, I realized that it wasn't just while I was sleeping. I was getting new bites day/night, lights on or off but never finding any bugs or seeing what it was that was biting me. I had began to reach out to some close friends and research online what this problem could be. Some said bedbugs others said dust mites or spiders. It was an assortment or suggestions (not much help at all) and with them came ideas and instructions of various ways to take care of the issue. I stuck to my instructions of various treatments for bed bugs and how it said to treat. As the problem went on, I contacted my landlord and let him know what was going on. i was informed that other tenants in the building had bed bugs and that it had been professionally treated but this was before I moved in and he was under the impression that it had been taken care of. I hadn't had any problems with anything and saw no bugs at all when I moved in. I have lived here 6 months now and only have been having a problem for the last 3 weeks.However landlord apologized and agreed to send a professional to my apartment to start working with me to find out and treat the problem. Before the professional came though and as the days went by I attempted to treat the issue myself and do what it instructs you to do as far as laundry, bagging everything, spraying in hiding spots, etc.etc. My bites were getting bigger and sometimes they would be in a string, but sometimes just a single bite, I was getting bit all the time day and night. I never found and signs of bed bugs or any fecal matter, molts, or eggs. My Dad came to visit and he actually saw a bedbug and showed me what it looked like and that it had a specific smell. Odd because he found it in my shower crawling up the wall. Him and my Step Mom had an extremely bad infestation in their apartment building 5 years back and the city health department closed it down. So he knows what they look like and he told me how to treat everything. As I said, I had done various treatments over the last few weeks and even though I had never found fecal matter, eggs, or molts I still treated anyways. But I was continuing to get the bites still day and night, they were as big as a quarter now, sometimes in a line (string of bites) and sometimes just a single bite. I have bites on my ankles, legs, arms, shoulders, neck, face, hands. It's absolutely horrible and they itch to the point where it's driving me insane. So at any rate, the professional that my landlord sent has treated other units in the building. He came in and searched my home, but he informed me that he is having trouble finding anything that shows signs of bedbugs, he can't see any signs anywhere of molting, larvae, bugs (dead or alive). So after talking with me and seeing my bites, he informed me that the building has had ongoing issues with the bedbugs, advised me on what to do and that he would go ahead and treat my home based on the fact that he knows the other units have had problems, I have bites and he informed me that even though he isn't finding anything they hide everywhere. He gave me a pamphlet on bedbugs, what to do to rid the bedbugs from my home, and he proceeded to treat. I am continuing to get bites. Bottom line, I am losing my mind and do not know what to do. I know what they say about the bedbugs and there are several different sprays, I have treated my home with several different treatments now, had professional treatments and yet I continue to have a problem. What is going on here? why is this happening? The sad thing is I have been bit within an hour or two of treatments. This problem is the absolute worst... I'm praying to god I can get this under control and I am begging anyone who knows what to do for help and advice.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 1:22:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you've had a lot of skin reactions but that they only started three weeks ago, is that right? If so, there should be fecal stains present. When did the PCO search? How long did he spend looking?

6. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 8:53:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi skin reactions are not immediate when you are bitten. The reaction can be days or weeks. For example I felt a sharp stabbing pain twice whilst out walking in the countryside. I immediately investigated and found a small spider. There was no sign of bites until at least 24 hours later when I had 2 very itchy bites that took 2 weeks to go away. Since then I have been bitten all round my neck and lower arms so was my friend and we do not visit each other's houses. We assume that we were bitten on the seafront where there have been thousands of swarming gnats as the weather in the U.K. Has been so mild. It has taken weeks for our bites to subside. I am now bite free. I wonder what will find me next?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie