Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Where'd it get me? Laptop? Plastic bags? Metal chair?

(9 posts)
  1. validname

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 15:47:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello! New member, long time reader. I am currently battling my second bed bug infestation (I actually think it's a continuation of the first, but that is another story). I have had pesticides and did a heat treatment. About a week after the heat treatment I felt a bite while sitting at my kitchen table on my laptop (I must tell you that all my bites are centered around my bottom and thighs because I believe they were first IN my clothes). My son and I are fast responders to these bites (usually within 10 minutes), but I have noticed that some bites I don't respond to much at all, just see the spots after (again, another issue). I have felt bites while sitting at the table twice after that, as well (wooden table/chairs). Most of the bites, prior to the heat treatment, were centered around the couch (I have been sleeping there since a break up with an ex in where he took the bed......cannot buy another one, because of these bugs). About the second week after heat, I woke up with bites. Definitely from the couch. I called the pco and they came out with chem treatment. Mostly around the couch and living room area, also sprayed baseboards in part of the kitchen (I think it was mostly done to pacify me).

I have only been able to sleep by spraying some eco raider every couple days on the couch before I place the sheets, blankets on it and this has seemed to help. Found two nymphs the other day, DURING the day, so I knew they were still alive. Waiting for the pco to come back AGAIN. Out of eco raider, couldn't sleep. So I pack tited some clothes and went to my mothers. I believe I have a second (I know, rare) infestation in my car (ANOTHER story) so I covered the front seat in plastic garbage bags (smooth, not textured). She is only 15 minutes away. I go to her house. Left my shoes outside. Went through the garage and changed out of my "car" clothes into my newly packtited clean clothes.....left the car clothes sealed in plastic bag in the garage. Only thing I brought in was me and my phone and my laptop.

Woke up this morning well rested and went home. Drove with my plastic bag covered car seat. I came home and set up my laptop on the kitchen table and sat on my metal chair (NOT smooth metal.....we just tossed the wood chairs a couple of days ago). Sitting here maybe 15, 20 minutes. Get up, throw some laundry in and I feel something right on my butt. Check it out in the bathroom, and yep, a new bug bite. I am losing my mind trying to figure out WHERE I got it. My fear is that I brought them to my mothers.

SO.....the only places I could have gotten bit is in my car that the seat is covered in plastic bags (keep in mind, that we are almost 95% positive that I have bed bugs in there, so please go on this assumption.) Yes there are gaps in the bags, but they overlap. OR while I was sitting, in the day, on the metal (not smooth) chair in the kitchen for 15/20 minutes. OR there was one in my laptop and it got out in my mothers and bit me there (which means she is now the proud new owner of bbs.) I have had NO evidence of bed bugs in my laptop before and I bring it with me while I travel (I have never gotten bitten by bed bugs in a hotel).

I apologize for this being so wordy but I am trying to determine if I need to panic my parents. Which scenario do you think is more likely? It is a minor infestation at the moment and im so trying to isolate so I can rid myself of them once and for all.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 18:59:00
    #

Login to Send PM

About a week after the heat treatment I felt a bite while sitting at my kitchen table on my laptop (I must tell you that all my bites are centered around my bottom and thighs because I believe they were first IN my clothes).

While you could be bitten in an infested chair, it's not usual for bed bugs to be in your clothing (and stay there) or to bite under clothing.

I suggest posting a photo (link to FAQ) of the nymphs you're seeing, just so an expert can confirm and advise.

Note that if you are getting bed bug bites, a bed bug will poop in the vicinity immediately after feeding, each time it does so. You should be seeing fresh fecal stains. Posting a photo of those can also help an expert confirm the problem.

Finally, bed bug monitors (link to FAQ) are always a good idea if you want to determine whether bed bugs persist after treatment.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. validname

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 19:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for responding. I do know that these are bed bug bites and actual bed bug nymphs. My son's room was heavily infested last summer, so I have seen them in all their stages, in all their glory.

I am really trying to determine which of the unlikely scenarios is more likely: Bringing them from a small infestation via my laptop (i don't know why they'd want in my laptop, it overheats all the time) to my mother's, getting bitten in my metal chair in the kitchen after sitting for 20 minutes, or on my car seat that is covered with plastic garbage bags. I'm having my mom wash and dry the bedding in hot, just in case, but so worried about it..........I can handle the kitchen and the car as I'm already taking measure there.......

4. niteone

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 12:03:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 16 hours ago  » 

About a week after the heat treatment I felt a bite while sitting at my kitchen table on my laptop (I must tell you that all my bites are centered around my bottom and thighs because I believe they were first IN my clothes).

While you could be bitten in an infested chair, it's not usual for bed bugs to be in your clothing (and stay there) or to bite under clothing.
    I suggest posting a photo (link to FAQ) of the nymphs you're seeing, just so an expert can confirm and advise.
    Note that if you are getting bed bug bites, a bed bug will poop in the vicinity immediately after feeding, each time it does so. You should be seeing fresh fecal stains. Posting a photo of those can also help an expert confirm the problem.
    Finally, bed bug monitors (link to FAQ) are always a good idea if you want to determine whether bed bugs persist after treatment.

Hi Nobugsonme,

So, I noticed what you stated above:

"Note that if you are getting bed bug bites, a bed bug will poop in the vicinity immediately after feeding, each time it does so. You should be seeing fresh fecal stains."

I have been treated 5 times in the last month and half.....Small apartment, in a very old house, and 6 other apartments never complained about BB's.

LL's have had this old house divided up into apartments for over 30 years now and never had one apartment have BB's.

I have little plastic cups filled with a little DE that the 4 posts of my bed sit in. Mattress and box spring cover with BB encasements provided by the PCO. Bed not near any walls or other furniture, it's isolated. Bedding not touching anything (other furniture, wall, floor, etc).

I just went out and bought pure white bedding, and put them on yesterday, and I noticed up near my pillow to the left if your laying face down, and on the pillow are blood stains....

Now, I tuck in all my sheets and never let them touch the ground, but I'm curious, why no fecal stains near the blood stains?

I'm thinking I got bite on the neck or arm but I can't find a bite and when this first happened (that I noticed BB's) over a month and a half ago, I had over 60 bites on my body.

I know this apartment is hard to treat because of all the cracks and open crevices, but I assumed my bed being isolated, especially with the plastic cups filled with DE under each leg, they could get up....I know I could have brought it to bed with me some other way, I just don't see any BB fecal stains anywhere near the blood stains.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 12:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

niteone,

Let's take a step back: skin reactions are not evidence you have bed bugs. To be sure you have bed bugs, you need to find bed bugs, cast skins, eggs, or fecal stains. Of these, fecal stains are usually the first thing one finds, and as you know, they're not the same as blood stains.

I see you've had five treatments in a month and a half. Before the initial treatment and between subsequent treatments, did the PMP confirm the presence of bed bugs visually in any way? Did they show you bed bugs, cast skins, eggs or fecal stains?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 12:51:41
    #

Login to Send PM

validname - 17 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for responding. I do know that these are bed bug bites and actual bed bug nymphs. My son's room was heavily infested last summer, so I have seen them in all their stages, in all their glory.
    I am really trying to determine which of the unlikely scenarios is more likely: Bringing them from a small infestation via my laptop (i don't know why they'd want in my laptop, it overheats all the time) to my mother's, getting bitten in my metal chair in the kitchen after sitting for 20 minutes, or on my car seat that is covered with plastic garbage bags. .

validname,
    I am sorry, I can't tell you which of these is happening, if any.

You say you respond to bed bug bites within ten minutes of them occurring-- how did you verify this?

7. niteone

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2014 13:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 13 minutes ago  » 
    niteone,
    Let's take a step back: skin reactions are not evidence you have bed bugs. To be sure you have bed bugs, you need to find bed bugs, cast skins, eggs, or fecal stains. Of these, fecal stains are usually the first thing one finds, and as you know, they're not the same as blood stains.
    I see you've had five treatments in a month and a half. Before the initial treatment and between subsequent treatments, did the PMP confirm the presence of bed bugs visually in any way? Did they show you bed bugs, cast skins, eggs or fecal stains?

yes, I first noticed the fecal stains a month and half ago, on NEW white bedding I put on when I first moved here.....blood stains and fecal stains...especially at the foot of the bedding.

LL was surprised since the last tenant that left never complained...now, I could have brought them with me from a hotel I stayed at for 5 months, but I never noticed anything on my bedding at the hotel nor noticed any bites anywhere on me and I'm very sensitive to all kinds of bites.

I never even saw a bedbug until the first week or two when I moved in here and I just thought it was some kind of other bug...never thought it was a bedbug until I noticed stains on the sheets and started 'googling'

Yes, the PCO confirmed bedbugs (live one on the sofa, 5 weeks ago) which is in the living room next to my bedroom.

Have had 4 treatments, because the LL complained that the PCO wasn't getting them all.

Well, my 5th treatment was last Friday, my LL wanted a new tech and complained to the PCO, so they sent in another one and he spent 2 hours treating and found one live one.

Remember, this is a very old house (over 100 years old) and it has cracks and crevices all over....he treated the ceiling molding with powder and when I got home Friday afternoon, I caught 4 live ones with about 9 dead ones on a windowsill in the living room that has a window fan in it (right near where the tech found a live one)., and 2 in a glue trap the previous Tech put down under the window fan on the carpet...one additional one in another glue trap, on the carpet, in the living room. None in the glue traps in my bedroom...now, I know glue traps aren't really reliable, to tell you have bedbugs, but none in the glue traps in my bedroom.

LL is thinking about bringing in a dog in about a month (dog handler states it's needs to be at least 30 days after the last treatment)....LL is also considering Heat Treatment, but I worry about that since, there are so many cracks and crevices if a Heat Treatment will even work.

So, back to the blood stain....no fecal matter anywhere around it....how can I tell, if at all, it was from a bite?

8. niteone

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2014 13:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

anyone?

So, is it possible to have just a 'blood stain' (I have 3, two on the upper left side of the bed sheet as your laying face down and one on the same side of the pillow) and no fecal matter anywhere near the vicinity of the 'blood stain' Brand NEW bright white sheets put on the day before.

I'm just trying to clear up if a BB got in the bed even though it's isolated, not touching any wall, furniture, nothing...sheets never touch the floor, bed post legs in a smooth plastic cup filled with DE.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jul 26 2014 23:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Blood stains don't confirm bed bugs. Fecal stains are evidence of bed bugs. Blood stains could come from scratching, from a pimple, from other causes of irritation to skin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,668 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com