(12 posts)
  1. viking

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 31 2011 2:20:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    Does anyone know where to buy DE in Sydney, Australia? Info for a real store or an on-line source is equally good. I want to get DE for preventive purposes. Many thanks,

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 31 2011 5:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry to inform you but DE is not approved for use in AU at present. I know someone is working on this but at this stage its not available.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 31 2011 9:52:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow-- thanks, David.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 31 2011 10:04:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I do know the man who is trying to fix the situation but like all things it takes time.

David

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 31 2011 11:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it that DE is not "legal" for use against BB in AU? Or that it can't be purchased at all? It is, after all, used for many other purposes around the world.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 31 2011 11:37:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It can not be used as a pest control agent in AU. It is not legally allowed to be used.

In many countries the legislation is on the claims of the chemical and not the ingredients so exceptions for natural products are no longer valid. The EU legislation for this is the Biocides directive. If you claim a product kills something (pest, viral or bacterial) you must support full data to illustrate this and to show all the toxicity data of the products.

It should have helped protect the consumer but I am not sure the legislative powers are enforced enough at the consumer level.

David

7. viking

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 1:04:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Wow, thanks for the info. So buying DE, even for other purposes such as gardening use, is not legally allowed in Australia? I understand professional pest control companies are not allowed to apply DE, but individual consumers should be able to get DE, is that correct?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 4:10:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Viking,

I am not sure if there is an alternative use for it in AU so it may actually not be available full stop. We would have to have someone on the ground over there search for it.

I am also worried that some of the other use DE (such as pool use) is not the same formulation and as others have reported issues can occur with some of these products so they are best avoided.

David

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 1 2011 8:58:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes -- absolutely do not use pool DE. Very dangerous.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 9:37:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have an update on this one. I had a Skype chat with the person in Australia this morning who has confirmed that the product has passed regulation and should go on sale in the next few months.

I appreciate that this may not be soon enough to help the OP but its good news in general.

I will be having a conf call tomorrow to talk in more detail about what recommendations and support will follow with the product for this market.

David

11. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 13 2015 18:12:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping David Cain may be able to answer a question or two re bed bug treatments available (and not available) here in Australia.
    I am assuming the person you are referring to above David is Tony Abrahams, who markets Bed Bug Killer and other Bed Bug Barrier products?
    As you know, not all DE dusts are created equal and it is has recently become clear from research that manufactured silica gel (Cimexa) is more effective than DE.
    David, do you happen to know how the Bed Bug Killer rates as a DE? I presume it has something to do with the percentage of silica in it? I personally had poor success with another brand of aerosol DE called Rappelle, which I purchased initially, but that was before chemical treatments and I ha ve only used BBK afterwards. So I can't compare from my own experience.
    If you are still in contact with Tony (or if not Tony, person you mentioned above), would it be possible for you to suggest to him the possibility of obtaining the relevant approvals for Cimexa or equivalent, and maybe also the neem based Cirkil (which I am aware is quite smelly and therefore possibly not something for commercial establishments, but at this point I would put up with anything if it means the bugs are gone gone gone! and besides I live in a private freestanding residence).
    David I would really appreciate your input on the vexed issue of perpetual delays getting appropriate and effective BB treatments in Australia.

12. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 15 2015 22:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: I have found out some info from the authorising agency here, APVMA. I was rather hoping I could ask a visiting friend to bring me some Cimexa. However it seems we are really strict here and I would have to fill out some kind of import form - I know it is a good thing really to have checks on chemical imports, but the lack of good treatment options here is pretty frustrating
    So I guess it's DE for now, and more chemicals if it becomes clear there are still bugs.
    The problem is, I don't get much of a bite reaction, though I am feeling the odd bite and itchiness when sitting in the lounge in the evening watching tv (on a dining room chair - lounge had to be disposed of). And there are some unusual dark patches near cracks on my pine coffee table I didn't notice before, but I don't know if they are bed bugs. No actual bugs to be seen, so maybe I am getting overly 'paranoid' and experiencing that delusional crawly feeling I was getting before. It's so stressful not knowing one way or the other! I got a doozy of a bite on the sole of my foot which was resting on the coffee table the other night, but couldn't find anything when I felt the sensation. But that seems par for the course, I have never seen bugs in the act of biting me - I only saw them in their harbourages under a bed slat and behind a picture (ugh).
    I have just now emailed US Bed Bugs to find out if they would send some climb ups and a packtite monitor here, or have a distributor here. At least finding some (or not) would make me feel more rational and less stressed!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,410 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams