Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Where to buy- and what kind?

(5 posts)
  1. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 19 2017 14:35:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been using some DE that a friend gave me, and I've come to the bottom of the bag... I'm curious about 2 things:

1. Which brand of DE do we like best (if we're allowed to say specifics?) in a home with small children and cats?

2. I've been using a glove covered hand to 'sprinkle' and it's prob wasting so much. Where do I get a duster or applicator type bottle?

Thanks all

2. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 20 2017 15:32:19
    #

Login to Send PM

1) I dont know that any particular brand is better than another. I would just following a couple suggestions: always verify it is food grade and it should have few additives. I bought mine at Tractor Supply. FWIW, Safer Brand and Garden Safe make DE labled for pest control with BBs listed on the label. If you're buying a new batch, maybe consider Cimexa as well.

2) You can buy a hand bellows for dusting on Amazon, or you can pick up a fluffy makeup brush to dust it with. I used the brush and felt like I was dusting fingerprint powder on CSI. Had to have my gallows humor, I guess.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  3. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 20 2017 17:16:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks NoMoreBuggs! The one I had been using is, in fact, SaferBrand, so I'll prob stick with that. I also have a ridiculous amount of makeup brushes (one can never have too many!) and I think you and I share the humor- I guarantee I'll enjoy 'powdering for prints' far more than simply squeezing a bottle! I'll prob still need it to get in tight spots, though. 🤷🏼‍♀️

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 20 2017 23:14:48
    #

Login to Send PM

You may find the DE FAQ helpful also: http://bedbugger.com/faqde/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. GatorBoy1984

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 21 2017 20:07:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Be careful when applying DE. It is safe to consume, however can be dangerous to breathe in. There are other natural products that are much more effective than DE in my opinion. When dealing with bed bugs, or any pest indoors for that matter, check out CimeXa. It's powdered Silica Gel basically. It can be mixed with water and sprayed or applied as ready to use dust. Like anything else, always read labeling and go with suggestions that it states. If you want to go as non toxic as possible, try getting a decent steamer. & a good HEPA vacuum is always helpful. Good luck & hope it all works out

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,643 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa