Where to buy a Packtite for less than 300 bux

(8 posts)
  1. ThisIsWar

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 1 2010 10:12:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there anywhere else besides the Packtite website where you can purchase a Packtite for less than the $295 that the company is charging for it? I already tried craigslist. Thanks in advance.

2. ThisIsWar

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 1 2010 10:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, I just found USBedBugs.com and see it for a couple bux less...but $289 is still basically $300 for me. If anyone knows of anywhere else to look please advise!

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 1 2010 11:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Packtite is a relatively new product; they didn't even exist when I discovered my infestation in June 2008. In addition, most people hold onto their Packtites even after treatment is over. Although I've been bed bug free for well over 18 months now, I just bought a Packtite to use after traveling since I travel so frequently.

For those reasons, there are unlikely to be a lot of used Packtites for sale.

Even if there were, given how difficult bed bugs are to eradicate, a lot of people on the boards choose to buy from where they do precisely because some of the websites (like that of the creator of the Packtite, David James) will not take used products in return.

If a company takes returned Packtites, then it's possible that a stray bug or two could hitch a ride on the outside, or that bugs had laid eggs on the outside, and if that used and infested Packtite is shipped out to you, you could become infested or reinfested.

A number of your posts say that you cannot currently afford a PCO, but depending on where you are and what kind of structure you're living in, it might well be less expensive to hire a pest management pro than to buy even a used Packtite (if you can find one and you're okay with the possible risk of infestation) and put a lot of items into storage for a long time. Remember, you would need to buy a new vacuum, a Packtite, all those Rubbermaid bins and pay for the storage unit for 18 months to 2 years to starve the bugs out that way.

Also keep in mind that many failed self-treatment plans end up driving bugs deeper into hiding in your residence, which makes the process of professional treatment longer and therefore more expensive than having a good, experienced PMP do it right the first time.

I do understand that sometimes people really don't have that money when they have an infestation; but I also know that there are a lot of hidden costs in the fight against bed bugs, and it's important to take all of them into account while developing an overall plan. Add up the realistic costs for both options and see which one is really the most cost effective.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 21:38:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Ms Ladybug: Have you taken apart a closet and run it through the dryer? It seems big for that. I just vacuum mine. Thanks if you have time to respond.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. MsLadybug

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 22:32:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't put the closet in the dryer. I have a bedbug detection dog and she checks out the equipment when it comes in. I also have a Dry Vapor steamer that I rentout , but when its here I use it.

6. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 27 2011 22:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

7. Chicago Way

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 2:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with buggyinsocal about trying to get this done professionally. Having said that I would point out there is another product called the Thermalstrike that I believe is less expensive. I am not affiliated with the company that makes it in anyway. There was also a DYI thread on making a low temp oven with links to instructions. I do own a Packtite and love it.

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 28 2011 10:07:22
    #

Login to Send PM

ThisIsWar - 1 year ago  » 
    Is there anywhere else besides the Packtite website where you can purchase a Packtite for less than the $295 that the company is charging for it? I already tried craigslist. Thanks in advance.

Try previous threads:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/selling-pack-tite-from-bed-bug-free-home

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/unused-packtite-for-sale

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,802 posts in 50,042 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen