Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Where Did You Get Them? - Survey

(41 posts)
  1. nyjammin

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 22:26:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I know there is no definite way to know how one gets bbs, but there is always a hunch. Maybe people can answer these questions so others can benefit. You can copy and paste the questions for easier access. Thanks.

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them?

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation?

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs?

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation?

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)?

Do you own or rent?

Who lives with you?

What state do you live in?

2. nyjammin

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 22:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them? Probably from my boyfriend who lived in a city shelter and did not know anything about bbs or how bad they can be.

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? I believe it could've been 6 months.

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs? Saw one bloodspot on my bed. Thought it was dirt from the outside. My bed is next to the window. Saw another bloodspot couple of weeks later. Got suspicious. Looked up "bloodspot" on internet and read to check mattress, then there they were. I was also getting a "rash" on my legs and didn't know what it was but it was the bloodspot that made me realize I had bbs, not the "rash" which, of course, were bites.

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? No. Never even heard of bbs. When I read the info. I was like, "What is THAT!" and was totally grossed out.

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? Apartment in a big building, 6 floors about 10 apartments per floor.

Do you own or rent? Rent

Who lives with you? Boyfriend and 2 children

What state do you live in? New York

3. stamps

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 22:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I am 99% sure I got them from work (I am an elementary school art teacher and many of our students have bedbugs at home).

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation?
    Less than a month . . . maybe two weeks.

Googled "bites at night."

Nothing at all, had no idea they even existed.

Small apartment building.

Do you own or rent?
    Rent.

Who lives with you?
    Live alone.

Colorado.

4. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 23:13:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them? Yes, from my niece's apartment. Either I got them there, or she brought them over, or they came in a book. The first bug I found was a dead one in a book she had given me. I think they came with the book, but also I had been reading the book and often my books fall on the floor. So it may have hidden there at night in my home. (My niece's apartment was sprayed for bed bugs, and she still is getting bites.

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? Maybe a couple of weeks. It happened very fast. She was getting bites, but didn't know why. About a month later I found a bug.

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs? I found two adults, both dead, and killed two nypmphs. Also have lots of bites on my arms.

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? Nothing,except the old children's song: Good night, sleep tight, ...... then I started searching the internet, and almost had another heart attack. (I had one of these in March of this year, and the exertion of treating bugs is really hard on my health) I have heard people say, it's just a bug, but in my case and for many others it is life threatening.

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? small house

Do you own or rent? I own it.

Who lives with you? My grandson for now.

What state do you live in? Alberta, Canada.

5. WelcometoFlatbush

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 23:58:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I Had bedbugs, they were in the apartment building before i moved in.

I suspected i had an infestation immediately after one set of bites, 6 weeks after moving in. But couldn't find them, so i was in denial for about 4 weeks.

I was exposed to bedbugs previously, but had not read about them. I think i managed not to bring them back from those experiences.

I was a renter in a 32 unit apartment building in Flatbush, Brooklyn, NY

6. currentinsomniac

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 0:47:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure. In fact, am questioning WHEN we got them. We moved into a rental place in August and my husband noticed bites on him when he slept on the couch a few nights the end of October. We think they most likely came from a scarf brought back to us from Peru that sat a couple days on the couch he slept on, but now I wonder if they might have come from a transient woman we gave a ride to around the same time period. (But if we had them before this time...they were either already here or from a moving van).
    If they came from Peru (which is still the most likely scenario), a couple of weeks.
    The bites, first off. My husband got one HUGE welt bite and then a week later started getting more, but smaller, welt bites. Then we googled "bites" and came up with bed bugs. A strange looking smear on a blanket my husband used on the couch tipped us off to that likelihood. Then we found two live nymphs in our car that matched pictures exactly.
    I knew they existed, but thought they hung out in unkempt or dirty bedding and rooms (like cockroaches). My husband thought they were just something in a children's rhyme.
    A newer townhome in the suburbs.
    Do you own or rent?
    rent
    Who lives with you?
    husband and son
    What state do you live in? Utah

7. NotSoSnug

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 0:56:03
    #

Login to Send PM

No idea. Could've been in my tongue-in-groove murphy bed for ages, could have come from another unit or could've brought them in somehow in clothing or packsack.

3-6 months of waking up early and excema patches. Don't know for sure.

Woke up and caught one biting in early dawn, then looked and caught others.

Some incidental knowledge from travel info.

Apt.

Do you own or rent?
    Rent.

Who lives with you?
    BBs.

A state of discomfort. (It's in Canada, look it up.)

8. purplebugladee

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 1:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

At first the PCO thought I brought them home from a trip to Paris but we came back in Jan and didn't have any bites until July so I told her I didn't agree. It could have been any of 3 motels closer to the symptom time frame or the opening of a delightful coffee shop I love that has at least 50 pieces of old, used, upholstered furniture as its decor. I am hoping it is not that coffee shop because if it is, the bugs will be back. I've stayed out of there since the night of a visit that I felt a bug hitchhiked home with me. I killed that one and totally went into pesticide mode and drowned my livingroom area that night. It's been 3 weeks since I've seen any, dead or alive; since that night and no more visits to that place.

My partner was getting bit for a couple of weeks before mine started but mine was much worse.....it had to be 2-1/2 to 3 months. I saw the Dr. 3x, they treated for fungus, then dermatitis, then scabies and it got worse and worse until I figured it out.

I was convinced they must be fleas at first (I have 2 cats and a dog). Treated them, my bites were still getting worse, then suspected scabies. Treated that, they got better for a day (guess bed bugs don't like biting permethrin drenched bodies)then got much worse. Everytime I did an online search on scabies or fleas, bed bugs came up and I just ignored them as a possibility; one night I woke up at 3am feeling as if I was being eaten alive, got this sick feeling that maybe it was bedbugs, went online, found Amanda's bedbug blog and her bites were the same. In the morning after my boyfriend woke up (I stayed the rest of the night on the sofa) I went in and looked. We found live ones walking in my bed in various stages, poops, blood stains, discarded casings, etc. I realized I had seen these before and ignored them, the rest was hidden in places you rarely look unless you turn your mattress upside down. I called a PCO that day,but made a lot of mistakes in my shocked state.

All I knew was they were back sometime in the early 2000's, hard to eradicate and now I was going to have to read a lot, make decisions about something I knew nothing about, quickly, and it was going to cost a lot of cash we simply could not afford to spend.

private house

Do you own or rent?

own

Who lives with you?

a 20 yr old son full time, a 13 yr old son part time and my boyfriend.

NY

9. angie

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 9:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know where you got bed bugs? Yes they were in the apartment that we moved into in june 2007.
    How long so you think you had bed bugs before you realized you had an infestation? We were getting bites within 2 weeks after moving in but thought they were from mites. A few weeks later we caught a nymph and then an older bug and the neighbor found out on the internet that they were bed bugs.
    Did you know anything about bed bugs before your infestation? Only in the nursery rythme!!
    What kind of residence do you live in? We live in a 3 br apartment in a 20 apartment complex.
    Do you rent or own? We rent.
    Who lives with you? My husband and 4 daughters.
    What state do you live in? Nebraska

10. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 11:40:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Piece of used furniture, newly installed cable tv box, visitors, neighbors?, work, family?, library books, public transportation, hospital, hotel.

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? Discovered on Tuesday October 10, 2006 I will never forget that day for as long as I live.
    No way of telling due to the bite reaction thing? My wife and dog was reacting in late August and I did not react for three months, Thought mosquitos or fleas. I did see poop marks on bottom of bed frame when I was cleaning and I thought it looked odd and I even asked myself if the poop marks were from the factory, I was there when the bed was installed and I didn't believe that they were present at that time. If I had some knowledge which should have been provided by government and media I would have known at that moment that I had an infestation to deal with, instead I did not know for two months or so later.

Wife discovered when inspecting the bed after she got a heads up from local health food store. A nymph crawled up to her while she was reading a book at 10am.

Very little, only saw occasional report on TV about hotels. Ignorance on the media and government's part, we should have all had a better heads-up.

Single family attached row house.

Do you own or rent? Own

Who lives with you? At the time spouse and dog.

What state do you live in? Queens, New York City (the ground zero for bed bugs)

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 11:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them? Yes known source, occupational exposure

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? 2 - 6 weeks

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs? Detected as part of regular inspection

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? Yes

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? Apartment

Do you own or rent? Own

Who lives with you? Depends on the day of the week

What state do you live in? London UK

Filled in to illustrate that even keen eyed PCO's miss the odd one or two, or was it one of the girlfriends who brought them in, not too sure.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  12. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 12:55:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them? At first I had thought from the moving van as I had not had them at my previous place of 3 years but since finding them in the lint trap that someone else in the building forgot to clean out I am now less inclined to think it was the moving van.

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? I'm not quite sure I had been here 4 months moved my bed to an oppisite wall 2 months ago and that was when the first signs started to appear.

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs? I and my partner both started breaking out in rashes and while they looked different - his were much worse - I started to wonder about BB's. Once I noticed spotting on the sheet and pillowcases and seen an actual bug that I caught it only took going online to confirm what it was.

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? Yes but only what I had seen on the news which primarily dealt with infestations on cruise ships and hotels/motels in this area.

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? Apartment

Do you own or rent? Rent

Who lives with you? No one my partner has his own place but used to spend time here I will not allow him to now.

What state do you live in? Florida

13. jennifer09

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 13:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I got the either from: a friend who had them and gave me two pieces of clothes while she was fighting them (obviously did not take precautions) OR I brought them back from Chile which I visited in August. That's less likely b/c my boyfriend and the other couple we went with do not have them.

I think I had them for about a month or longer before I realized.

I started getting a rash on my arms and had multiple bites on my fingers. Thought I was reacting to dryness or from my autoimmune disorder. Then I realized my friend had been fighting them so I checked out my bed and voila...they they were

Only that my friend had been going through HELL for 4 months trying to fight them. I couldn't understand why she didn't just move. Now I understand.

Apartment-about 10 apts

Do you own or rent?
    Rent

Who lives with you?
    Live alone with dog.

California

14. bugobsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Dec 19 2007 21:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely got them from my upstairs neighbor. They traveled through the walls. Landlord knew he had bedbugs, but didn't understand the how crazy these things are to get rid of. He never called a PCO and never warned anyone.

6-8 weeks. I thought I had a rash.

When cleaning, my husband pulled the bed away from the wall and saw the poop stains on the base board and the mattress.

I knew they existed, but didn't know anything about them.

apartment in a 6 unit building

Do you own or rent?
    rent

Who lives with you?
    husband and 3 cats

Massachusetts

15. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 17:22:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Either my mother who lives in a condo and dated a NY transit pumber from LI, buying used clothing from consignment for hte kids, or the local hospital.

4-5 months

After going to the local Petco, showing then bites accross my back and stomach. I thought fleas, but didn't see any. I had about 150 bites in less than a 3-4 days..then I woke with the "pattern" looked up on the net and found bed bugs. I didn't even know they existed.

No.

Single family home.

Do you own or rent?
    Own

Who lives with you?
    Husband and three toddlers.

New Jersey

16. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Dec 20 2007 17:33:09
    #

Login to Send PM

---------Don't know. Think a tenant who had bedbugs already moved into our apartment building thinking if they simply moved to a nice town, they wouldn't have the bedbugs any more.

---------Probably on and off for a copule of years. Building did not disclose we had them and were ineffectively and sporadically treating. Still haven't disclosed; still sporadic treatment. BB population (and bites) cycle larger and smaller.

---------My gynecologist (from an Asian country) recognized what the bites were.

---------Only misinformation. Thought they were limited to the inner city and public housing.

---------apartment building

Do you own or rent?
    ---------Rent

Who lives with you?
    ---------Live alone, used to live with parakeets. We think they died from the pesticides since all the parakeets in the building died after we were treated.

---------Massachusetts

17. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Dec 21 2007 19:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I got them from my partners evil twin brother.My guy and myself are not symtomatic,which is why they had to travel across the hall to my friend before I knew.Her poor daughter and herself are getting bitten with ichthy rashes and she know the evil twin who told her friend he had a bad bedbug problem in July.Once she started getting the bites,she asked me and told me what her friend had heard.That's when I looked under my mattress,cause this idiots always hanging out here.So I knew if she had caught and killed 1 bug(he's never been in her apartment) I must have many more.Being unsusceptable to the itchy welts is NOT a good thing.I would have caught it much earlier if I were symptomatic I think.The idiot brotherinlaw has been told he is not allowed in my apartment after I treat!His idea of treatment is to pour alcohol on them when seen!He has mentioned moving and I told him he will most assuredly take them with him!So the answer is had them at least 6 mon. I rent in a small building,and had I even heard the word I would have treated.I had read they were on the rise but didn't know (but should have suspected)the idiot brother had them.I live with the other idiot(just kidding,honey) 3 dogs ,2 cats,and 100 gal fish tank with marine fish.I'm hoping I can seal off the tank during treatment!I live in N.Y.

18. BBsBlow

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2007 17:12:08
    #

Login to Send PM

*Now former landlord told me that my neighbor next door (who I never met, and only saw a few times) took in an infested piece of furniture that someone else had gotten rid of. She tried to self-treat, which failed, and made me get them.

*I thought I had them pretty quickly since I was familiar with them. However, when I would Google bite pictures, they never looked like mine, so I then thought that I didn't have them. Went to 5 doctors to figure out what they were, but no one knew. Finally, some two months later, I called the LL and said that I thought I had BBs, and that's when she told me that the woman next door had them. Thanks for the warning, LL. Not. I was sprayed two months after initial symptoms (three in a row bites).

*I officially realized I had them when exterminator came and lifted up my mattress. There were a few BBs hanging out, and that's when the tears started. July 17, 2006. Was subsequently exterminated 4-5 times. Landlords refused to treat more, so I called the Board of Health on them. Even when I had no belongings in my apartment, I'd still see them crawling around. Landlords said it was my fault that I had them since the neighbor who brought them was ok. How could that be with no belongings? Eventually moved. Still suffering from a skin disorder I cannot identify. Have been exterminated maybe around 6 times at new place. Have never seen a bug, but have seen blood in my bed maybe 3 times in 10 months. I hope my old landlords rot.

*Yes, I was familiar with them. The NPMA used to be a client of mine way back, so I worked on stories for them regarding the bugs. However, at the time, they were mainly confined to hotels.

*Lived in an apartment house(20 of them) then, two family apt. now.

Do you own or rent?
    *Rent.

Who lives with you?
    *No one.

*NJ.

19. mrbill0626

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2007 21:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them? Yes, I think I know how we got them. I live in a rooming house and a neighbor who lived in the apt. next door to mine brought them in in a plastic sandwich bag. That's what the landlady says and I think she is right, because there were no bed bugs in this place prior to this neighbor living here. He moved in here about a year after I did, so I know that BBs weren't a problem here before he moved in, at least there were no complaints of BBs. We think he just brought them into the house and spread them around so he could get free rent and he actually ended up sueing the landlady,alleging that the BBs were already here when he moved in, which I think was very unfair to her and the rest of the tenants here.

Maybe 5-6 months.

I recognized them because they looked just like the ones that the neighbor showed me as mentioned above. I also looked on the internet and found info and pictures of bed bugs. Then, I also killed a few of them and showed them to the PCO who came to inspect the place and he comfirmed it.

Just what the neighbor had shown me and told me about them previously and I think maybe from an encounter I had with some years ago.

Rooming house.

Do you own or rent?
    Rent
    Who lives with you?
    No one

Ohio

Mr Bill

20. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 25 2007 10:06:06
    #

Login to Send PM

*Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them?*
    Several of my neighbors had them so I think they came in through the walls and floors.

*How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation?*
    i'm extremely allergic so I'm assuming I noticed right away, but there had to be a lag time for them to come in and take up residence in my mattress. However I was in denial for a week after I started getting bites.

*How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs?*
    I realized I only got bitten in bed, so I googled bed bugs, found this site, and started looking around the hosue. Eventually a full grown bed bug crawled out in plain site. I caught it, put it in a plastic bag, and held it up to next to Lou's pictures. Did not need a second opinion, it was clearly a bed bug.

*Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation?*
    No. I never wanted to know anything about them.

*What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)?*
    8-unit apartment building, old, with lots of cracks.

*Do you own or rent?*
    rent

*Who lives with you?*
    A cat, a dog, and bed bugs.

*What state do you live in?*
    New York.

21. soriano12

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Dec 25 2007 13:15:51
    #

Login to Send PM

o you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them?
    well everybody says we got it from the lady downstairs and now we stuck with it
    well my nephew use to have these red bumps all over his body when 1 day i went to sleep to investigate and saw 2 of them and little white babies moving it was real nasty because i never seen anything like it
    well i googled it up and bedbugs was the only thing that made sense plus they were hiding in the seams of my bed those are bad days
    hell no just knew the name when people say "sleep tight dont let the bedbugs bite"
    apartment
    Do you own or rent?
    rent
    Who lives with you?
    mom, step dad, sis, me
    What state do you live in?Bronx, New York

22. scaredandstressed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2007 15:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

not sure but they could of come from work or these reconditioned mattresses I bought abot 4months ago.

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? not sure

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs? blood spots on sheets and unexplaines bites

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? I knew they existed that's about it.

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? apartment

Do you own or rent?rent

Who lives with you?husband and 2 sons

What state do you live inwashington dc

23. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2007 17:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I think my upstairs neighbors (two floors above me) moved in and brought them along. According to the PCO, that is where the infestation originated. That's not to say I didn't already have my own special amd mysterious case, but that's the theory of the moment.

The neighbors moved in two months before we realized we had bugs. We were being bitten for about three weeks before we realized what was happening in our unit.

My boyfriend and I had bites. He had lots of them on his torso, and lots of 1-2-3 bites along his arms and hands. I had single bites on my hands and back. We did some research about bites at night, and here we are.

Not a thing.

We live in a multi-unit apartment. It used to be one huge house and now it is cut up into apartments.

Do you own or rent?
    Rent

Who lives with you?
    My boyfriend and two cats.

Maryland

24. bekalekah

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 29 2007 11:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Roommate got a used mattress that was infested.

3 months, neither of us react to bites.

Roommate discovered on her pillow, pulled back the sheets & they were crawling around on her mattress. She Googled them to ID.

That they were rampant in NYC hotels, didn't know much about the residential problem.

Huge apartment building.

Do you own or rent?
    Rent

Who lives with you?
    Roommate & 2 cats

NY

25. goingbuggyNYC

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Dec 29 2007 12:53:36
    #

Login to Send PM

No idea where they came from. I feel like it was one of those rare instances where one hitched a ride on my stuff from ... the gym? the laundry? the subway?

I'm not sure; see next question.

I had two bites on one arm, though couldn't identify them and didn't think much of it. Within a week or two, I was conscious of the fact I'd been thrashing around in the middle of the night (after being bitten, I guess). The one night at about 3am, I literally sat up in bed fixed on the idea I had bedbugs, though I hadn't seen any evidence and it hadn't occurred to me before. I searched the internet for bedbug info and the info seemed to match my bites and the circumstances. The next AM it all seemed like the product of late night paranoia. Within a few days though i had a few more bites and I did more research, then found a few alive under my futon.

I knew they existed and heard vaguely within the past year or two that there was an epidemic.

18-apartment tenement building in Manhattan.

Do you own or rent?
    rent

Who lives with you?
    no one

NY

26. buggedinphilly

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 8 2008 2:24:58
    #

Login to Send PM

We picked them up during a 3 night stay at a hotel in Charleston.
    We were bitten while staying there but since it's coastal South Carolina we assumed
    giant mosquito. We've since comfirmed that they did have a bb problem and that they knew about
    the problem before and during our stay. They mentioned nothing to us and were
    seeking no professional treatment.

2 months

we thought we were being bitten by mosquitos, even after the blood stains,
    we figured we were crushing them or the cat was. Then we found one that had
    just fed between our pillows one morning

not a thing.

It's a rowhouse, but since we're on the corner we only have an adjoining house on one side.

Do you own or rent?
    own.

Who lives with you?
    my wife and our two cats.

pennsylvania

27. cherry

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jan 8 2008 3:40:51
    #

Login to Send PM

My apartment building was treated in July '07. I had never noticed anything before that. Right after though I did notice bites every night. I though it was mosquito bites or hives until I found one about a week ago on my mattress.

Since July '07. Quite a while

I saw the fat red sucker on my mattress while I was changing the bedding. I immediately looked up bed bugs online and it was an exact match to every pic I've seen of these monsters. Now I've come to find quite a few in different stages, all matching online photos.

No, I didn't think that they were actually real. My Mom used to always say.... sleep tight (cringes). I thought it was a cute bedtime saying.

Apartment

Do you own or rent?
    Rent

Who lives with you?
    My boyfriend & 3 cats.

Alberta, Canada.

28. preston place

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 19:08:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I never had bed bugs... my apartment did.
    The popcorn ceiling (spelling) hid them well.
    they were present before I moved in, painted over in fact.
    Signed the lease In July, had doctor's conformation in October.
    Sounds crazy but I heard voices singing to me as I feel asleep one night.
    Yes, they were singing that nursery rhyme ughhh... I found 4 bugs crawling
    on my walls the next day. I remembered the voices from the night before
    and googled images of bed bugs. I put them in a bag and took them to the doctor
    who I had to make google bed bug images "because they are only a myth sweetie."
    No, I didn't know anything prior to bed bug infestation.
    I rented a unit.
    Had a roommate, We lived in Winchester, Virgina.

29. su

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 20:16:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I THINK THAT THEY ARE ON OUR BLOCK & THE BUILDINGS NEXT TO US HAVE HAD SOME TOO.

4 months

4 months

NOT MUCH

APT HOUSE

Do you own or rent?
    RENT

Who lives with you
    BOYFRIEND & CHILD

What state do you live in?NYC

30. freaked out in brooklyn

Deleted Account *do not PM*

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 21:18:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I do not know, the subway, a concert, from the neighbors upstairs 3 flights up. After i complained, someone told me they had on the 4th floor. It was only pc once.

I was bit day one, Never found an infestation. Found one in a trap after the bb dogs came, where they targeted. otherwise. have not seen any others. Everyone was thinking it was my imagination.

I looked up this site and I was already so paranoid of the bbs in New York after reading an article months before. I said then, That is one thing, that would make me leave this city, i love so much

Only that they were impossible and something, I never wanted.
    You pretty much have to get rid of everything

16 units apts

Do you own or rent?
    Rent

Who lives with you?
    my cat- 2 roommates who do not care about having bb. They say they won't kill you - They are no big deal. They called the landlord, after i raised a stink and wanted me out and said they could live with the bb. They will not complain.

New York

31. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Apr 22 2008 3:47:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Am pretty sure I got them from downstairs neighbor. Am wondering if she could've gotten them from abandoned sofa and mattresses about ten feet from her open basement window.

Really not sure. I only started looking once I knew the unit below had them. It took less than two weeks (after lots of false reassurances from PCO and board) to see enough evidence to know I had them. I was not reacting strongly so I had to rely on other evidence which delays things.

See above. Saw bite marks after hot shower (now I've seen more than a hundred bite marks, just needed to be on the lookout), found some harborages with careful inspection and high-powered flashlight. Some old evidence suddenly became significant - weird, bug-like thing (cast skin or dead bug) crushed on second pillow, blood smear on only light-colored piece of bedding, small, whitish insect streaking across jeans folded on a wooden bookshelf.

Yes and no. I was very afraid of them because a friend in NYC had a terrible experience and spread them to many people. But that didn't mean I was educated (had been to Bedbugger College ;o) and besides so much information you initially hear or read is just wrong) and also I didn't think I was at risk here in Colorado. WRONG!

Apartment/condominium, 12 units.

Do you own or rent?
    Own(ed).

Who lives with you?
    These days, just the voices in my head.

Colorado.

32. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Apr 22 2008 13:50:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably from vacation in PR but could have been from subway or friends from south america visiting.

2 weeks

Saw bites on me, called in K9 and confirmed

A lot, have had them before 3 years ago in our old place! Got those from a Cape Cod Motel.

APT

Do you own or rent?
    Own (unfortunately with this problem, I pay for it all myself)

Who lives with you
    Husband & Children

NYC

33. bughater

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Apr 24 2008 17:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I am pretty sure we brought them home from a Timeshare Condo at the Casablanca in Mesquite, NV. The PCO I spoke with said he has recently heard of a few cases comming from Mesquite. I have tried to contact the Resort to have someone inpsect the condo room and confirm the bed bugs. I keep getting the run around when I call and no one has called me back.

maybe 5 weeks

Bites started to appear on my Husband and I thought it was from spiders. Then when I started getting ichy bites I started googling. I still thought it was spider bites because I couldnt see ANY bed bug signs. So last Saturday I mistakingly bug bombed my house (before finding out from your sight that I shouldnt) When I was taking my bed apart I found a few blood specks and what looked like a dried up dead bb between the dust ruffle and the box springs. After realizing this was a bed bug skin, I did every home remedy I could find. Then when we were putting the bed back together we found one adult bb full of blood and one smaller one that appeared to be in the second stage of life. YUCK!!!!

I seen some special on TV a couple years ago. When I talked to my Mom about my bites the first thing she did was emailed me all this stuff about bb's. My Husband didnt think there was such a thing, they were just a myth....until he seen what we had found looked exactly as pictured online.

A large 2 story house

Do you own or rent?

Own

Who lives with you?

Hubby, 4 kids 2 indoor dogs and a cat...plenty of blood here for this nasty creatures

Utah

34. TomIsBugged

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Apr 27 2008 4:12:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for starting this post - it's nice to see how one patterns with others!

- Upstairs neighbour

- Can't say... The guy upstairs seems to have been sitting on 'em for a while though.

- Caught live adult mocking me from atop my pillow

- Lots, having gone through it all 2 years before in another city

- Smaller, older apt. building.

Do you own or rent?
    - Rent

Who lives with you?
    - My former, psychologically healthy self (who's hiding in a Ziploc until we move).

- BC, CDA... NOT "The Best Place on Earth" (Don't believe the license plate.. It's a filthy, infested lie."

35. lildedgrl

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 8 2008 11:33:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them? I firmly believe it was from a head board purchased from someone on Craig's list. (I'd like to says thanks to that nice person for selling infested junk. Karma will find you.)

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? Maybe 2 months.

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs? Found them on the box spring.

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? No. I knew they existed but that's about it.

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? 4 apartment residence

Do you own or rent? rent

Who lives with you? boyfriend

What state do you live in? massachusetts

36. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu May 8 2008 12:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

From the top ten not necessarily in order. 1. Traveling, hotel, motel hostel. 2. Visitor
    or visiting. 3. Guitar cases from the street. 4. Furniture, clothes etc from the street.
    5. Questionable mattresses. 6. Boyfriend / girlfriend 7. Migration from infested adjacent apartment. 8. Nanny, childcare, home attendant, nurse aid, cleaning person etc. 9. Not a clue 10 Don't ask .........

37. Grindstone99

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun May 3 2009 19:55:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I think a hotel?

2-3 months

Finally saw one. Which answered my question to the blood spots on the bed.

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? Just that they had nothing to do with cleanliness

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? Condo building

Do you own or rent? Own

Who lives with you? Just me

BC

38. bbsbegone

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun May 3 2009 20:18:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm quite sure I got them from my friend who is quite ignorant about bedbugs and did not disclose that he has them to me. He even invited a few of us over to hangout one Saturday and that night I got home I saw a bedbug crawling on my bed. Only after I confronted that he admitted he has bedbugs. And get this...he's been living with them since 2007! Some friend huh? Apparently it doesn't bother him much so he's not planning to do anything about it.

Right away.

Internet search.

Not really.

Apartment.

Do you own or rent?
    Rent.

39. pleasenotme

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun May 3 2009 22:08:46
    #

Login to Send PM

40. begonebedbugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 7:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know how you got bbs and if not, where do you think you got them? We know that we got them from my step-kids going to spend time with their Bio-Grandmom. They used to sleep there once a weekend for 2 years straight. And it wasnt until AFTER we found the bugs at our house that may step-kids told us that their Mimi had the same bugs at her house. UGH!

How long do you think you had the bbs before you realized you had an infestation? Probably a good 5-6 months

How did you realize that what you have/had are bbs? My Step-Son woke up one morning and told us he had a bug in his bed and once my husband lifted the mattress he immediately saw the infestation. It all added up then... my 2 year old and husband both were being bitten as well over the past 2 months and I just never thought anything about it. My two step-kids never showed signs of being bitten or we would have figured it out sooner.

Did you know anything about bbs before your infestation? I never knew they exsisted or were "REAL". Only what I'd hear on TV about Hotels and Bed Bugs....

What kind of residence do you live in (apartment, house, SRO, etc)? We live in a single family home.

Do you own or rent? We own.

Who lives with you? Myself, My husband and our three boys - ages 14, 11 and 2 (and one more on the way!)

What state do you live in? New Jersey

41. Emmm

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon May 4 2009 8:07:45
    #

Login to Send PM

We are 99.9% sure they came from our friend who had them. He insisted he was careful when visiting us (which was often), and we believed him. Truth be told, he probably was, as his family and vehicle seem to not be infested, just us. However, he brought over his gaming system at one point, and we think maybe we got it from that, as he didn't realize bugs could get into electronics. In fairness to him, the inspection at his apartment was his roommate's fault, and he barely spent any time there as he works away from home.

Honestly, it could have been two months, but we're pretty sure it was a few weeks to a month, tops.

Because our friend had them, we knew what we were dealing with. The trouble was finding them. First sign were bites on me, and only me. We assumed it was Tide rash or something akin. Then my boyfriend found bugs at his house while sorting laundry. It made no sense that our friend and my boyfriend had them, but not us. We searched and found nothing. So we put down food-grade DE in the bedrooms and just watched. I received more bites, and finally had to hire a K9 because we couldn't find a thing.

I knew they were bad, and I desperately didn't want them. It ranked up there as one of my biggest fears. We learned a bit more when our friend got them, but REALLY should have done more research and not trusted his judgement.

Apartment, one of a couple units.

Do you own or rent?

Rent. And my landlords have been mostly great.

Who lives with you?

My roommate and my cat.

Ontario

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur