Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Where can I buy bed bugs?

(14 posts)
  1. KyleS

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 13:25:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm running a business that sells bed bug solutions, and I want to buy bed bugs to test out the effectiveness of our products and for images/videos on our website. I've been scouring the internet for a supplier, but I can't find them anywhere! Could you guys lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 13:34:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Whoops, check out the sticky on this topic, which you may have overlooked because it's one of the green ones at the top of the list.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-rule-no-bed-bug-requests

3. KyleS

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 13:39:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply, jrbtnyc. I can see why they wouldn't want samples being distributed to strangers; they may have nefarious purposes. I'm just looking for resources though, I'm at my wit's end here! Do you personally know of a different website where I could get help with this?

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 13:41:35
    #

Login to Send PM

As per JR's link, contact NoBugs, in collaboration with a university researcher (which is where I'd ask).

…or Gregg's List, where they come packaged in sofas.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 13:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

KyleS, the best I can do is quote you one paragraph from the sticky which might conceivably apply in your case...

Nobugsonme - 5 months ago  » 
    If you are in the bed bug industry (for example, you want to get bed bugs to train dogs), it's my understanding that bed bugs are sold and there are ways of getting them. Bedbugger cannot act as a clearinghouse for this.

...in other words if you're beginning to collaborate with other people who, like yourself, are in the bb-fighting industry, then once those other people are convinced you're genuine I imagine they'll be willing to refer you to some supplier. And then the supplier, too, will need to be independently "satisfied you're bona fide".

Meanwhile cilecto did you mean...Craigslist?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 14:12:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would add that if you want bedbugs to test your product you actually really want data to support your claims.

For this to be valid it has to be independent of your work such as a trial conducted by an entomologist, testing lab or contract research provider. In which case if they are qualified to conduct such a test then obtaining bedbugs is unlikely to be an issue for them.

Self tests are not supporting data for making claims to the public and you need to test both contact killing and residual effects for it to be of value to people treating bedbugs. This is why independence is so essential for transparency, for theoretical example if a university researcher invented something and patented it then only data produce independent of this lab can be trusted, otherwise there is an obvious conflict of interest when their reviews always show it as the best thing.

I think the industry is facing this as a major challenge from consumers at present and I fear there will be blood on the carpet before too long.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 14:28:05
    #

Login to Send PM

> Meanwhile cilecto did you mean...Craigslist?

Never heard of it.

8. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 14:37:42
    #

Login to Send PM

> I think the industry is facing this as a major challenge from consumers at present and I fear there will be blood on the carpet before too long.

Really? It seems you could remarket table salt as a bed bug remedy if you put up a web site for it. I followed a Google ad off this site to a product called "restasure" (sic). They had a comprehensive site describing every treatment method with a lot of buzz words, but always with a twist of what can go wrong…which is 100% guaranteed to kill instantly. $35 (US) a pint (plus shipping, no doubt). Msds says it's ~90% H2O, ~10% SLS. I suspect people are buying.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 14:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Well yes we do live in a world where its OK to be transparent about selling your own land to your own organization to build your new head quarters on. Something tells me most auditors would not want to walk into that potential murky pond. At least int he 90's most people would hide such a transaction off shore somehow.

This is yet another reason why clear education should be the top agenda, but after that you can buy my magic bedbug cure all solution from bedbugsnotverylikely.com . I actually encourage people to send part used bottles back to the suppliers on the grounds it probably costs them more to dispose of it as industrial waste than they make in selling it. If they dumpy it then there is always the chance the EPA will get them for pollution with a larger fine.

I personally long for the good old days of Tiffin and Son where a gentleman's word was his bond and there was not a wiffle bag in sight.

David

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 15:05:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I would second David's message: you need to get independent entomologists to test the product. The data this provides will help sell your product, if it is worthy.

Beyond that, approach people in the industry and ask them.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 16:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I can understand doing your own tests at the research and development stage, before getting the final tests done professionally.

You can PM me if you like. Depending where you live I may be able to help you.

12. weedbugpest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 23 2011 19:58:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Would help if you let us know where your located. Most PCO's like myself w/ canines always have a good collection on hand.

13. KyleS

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 24 2011 12:13:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the replies. As far as the need for independent third party testing, I'm really just doing this to satisfy my own need to know that I'm not selling snake oil. If I test a product on bed bugs and it doesn't work, I don't want to be selling it. Third party verification is something I may be interested in down the road, but right now I'm just trying to choose what products to inventory.

Since several people asked, I'm in Chicago. If anyone is able to help please send me a PM!

Thanks!

14. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 25 2011 3:53:54
    #

Login to Send PM

KyleS - 15 hours ago  » 
    ...If anyone is able to help please send me a PM!...

KyleS,

Pretty soon I might actually have ideas for a certain category of new products to fight bb's, so do check your PM's.

jrbtnyc

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982