Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Where Art Thou Bed Bug

(13 posts)
  1. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 21:45:51
    #

Login to Send PM

To put it simple I self treated with spray and dust. And about 4-5 months later no signs of them at all.

No casings, spots, or live ones( though i have seen two dead ones on the window about two months ago??!?)

Though I can't say that the problem is gone or if the "bumps" i'm getting is purely from another insect. Now what kind of insects do I have? Oh boy its a list.

Spiders - A LOT
    Roaches
    no see ums
    gnats
    mosquitoes
    mites(possible)
    And others that I can not really name

So as you can see I have a long list of other potential bugs besides bed bugs at the moment. I am primarily seeing spiders, roaches, and gnats. Boy it feels like I'm in some jungle right now : /

I actually have gotten to the point where I hope it is bed bugs so I can just confirm that that is where the bumps on my back is coming from. Though as the days go by. The likelihood of it becomes smaller and smaller

No visual sightings or signs for three months now(counting since I last saw the dead ones ! )

2. Blackheart

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 22:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well sounds like you don't have alot to worry about...me on the other hand.

Just don't worry, pretty sure your ok!

3. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 22:07:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I really think that using DE is what really knocked it down to say the least. Plus when my bed bug problem was at its peak. I would find spiders capturing bed bugs.

I literally was going to the bathroom when I saw a spider holding a bed bug in its claws!!!

Seems that I also got some extra help from them. Though I can't say that I'm clear at all until we do another thorough inspection which probably won't happen for a another week.

4. Blackheart

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 22:16:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey well its all good then, I myself feel at the end of my rope, enough of these horrid creatures already!

Looking forward to work tomorrow, to get outta this hell hole, I haven't seen a live bug in days, but some of the lovely people here are saying they will find me, yeah thanx guys!

5. Blackheart

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 22:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Funny thing, I'm freaking myself out I guess,,,, look at a spot long enough, and sure as sheet it will appear to move, honestly losing my mind possibly?

6. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2012 1:50:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Well you guy I found a live bed bug

It was crawling on my brothers pillow. It was a male but looked as though it had not fed in a while. When I crushed it literally nothing came out and it seemed to move really slow.

Well now here is where the fun stuff starts. I have to strip the beds and inspect the frame!

I have to say that this really came to no surprise to me and I really expected to see one sooner.

7. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2012 11:25:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked at my brothers bed and it seems that there are bed bug cast skins in these little slats on his headboard. By my account there are at least 3-4 in the three slats.

Can some one provide me a image of a cast skin and 1st to 2nd instar bed bugs?

Also I'm thinking of extracting them with the vacuum cleaner and putting some dust in it and Taping over it.

I can't believe from my last inspections that I missed those slates on the headboard.

We actually have not even treated with the pesticide that we bought some months ago!

There actually six in total with only three having the bugs/cast skins. Well time to vac and check out the frame even more.

8. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2012 12:11:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Check the FAQs on this site for good ID images of BBs & their traces, including cast skins.

Also read the rest of the "Bed Bugs 101" section if you haven't already & the section on dealing with BBs. It may be that you never entirely eradicated them or they've been re-introduced from somewhere. You need to be well-informed & you need to carefully plan your approach to the problem. Haphazard treatment can make things worse; getting all your ducks in a row before you go any further will optimise your chance of success.

Is pro treatment an option for you?

9. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2012 15:02:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Pro treatment is not a option and the bug caught hadn't fed and was probably looking for blood meal when discovered

I ordered my bro some climb ups today and tomorrow I'm gonna inspect his frame which is wood

From what I can tell the bug cast has been there for a while and is not recent. Also worth mentioning is that before my other bro(whose room is right across) gave my other bro his bed because he was getting a queen. This all happened before we realized that we had a bug problem.

10. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2012 15:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh also I found about a total of 18 cast skins. And one dead one with its legs missing. They looked to be those of a 2nd - 3rd instar.

Further inspection will be done tomorrow

11. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2012 4:30:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Seems you've picked up the old "bed bugs prefer wood" canard - in some ways metal furniture can be even worse because it's awkward to get treatment into metal tubing etc. It's true that entirely unfinished wood can be a pain because there are likely to be fissures & knot holes but BBs have no special preference for it. They'll set up home anywhere there's a handy meal available, so don't feel discouraged abut your brother's bed.

I'm not sure what this dust is that you propose using but if it contains DE, I'd be very reluctant to put it on the headboard. It doesn't adhere to surfaces & will sift down onto your bro. DE isn't a good match for the human lung. I hope you've read this site's FAQ on DE - it's important to apply it correctly, not just on health grounds but also to optimise its effect..

12. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2012 21:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

The funny thing is we have temprid sc but I see no point in spraying if I am not able to do the whole house.

It is hard to describe the frame of the bed. But he has about 6 sections where a bedbug can easily hide at undisturbed by humans. To put it quite simple. The frame is pretty much no good anymore and is harder to manage when you have to potential infestation we are facing.

Let me give you a chronicle of events about the bed to get better understanding

It was my brothers bed
    My brother bought a queens bed
    Gave my other brother his old bed

So yeah that's pretty much it about that

That's what makes it even more hard for me to tell if the cast skins I found were when my bro had it(first) or it came to be while in my other bro's room.

All I know is the last time I checked his frame there was none on the inside but I am not sure If I checked those little spots

Well, i bought some climb ups which will come in a couple of days. When I get them I will put it on for monitoring sake.

I have a question though.

Is it okay to treat one room with a pesticide instead of treating the whole house?

Or does it not make a difference if you're using residual?

13. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2012 5:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Treating the whole house isn't really the optimal approach. You need to locate the specific areas of BB activity & treat those. I've seen houses soaked in pesticide to the point that the wallpaper came off the walls, & yet the little blighters survived that by simply hunkering down in their untreated nooks & crannies until they felt safe to come out again. Sure, the really hungry bugs that came out to feed got hit, but not all their eggs & not all the adults

As ever with BBs, it's not just about the products used, it's about the knowledge & skill with which they are applied. Have you read the FAQs on getting rid of BBs? You seem to still have a few misapprehensions, so please, sit down & read them carefully, twice. Take notes, come back & ask questions, but until you really, really know what you're doing, you're really not likely to succeed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,822 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen