(7 posts)

Tags:

1. nealalexandra

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 10:49:23
    #

Login to Send PM

My son is getting bites and I've found 4 beg bugs in the ceiling crevices, one on his pillow, and one actually attached to me before I even fell asleep. But both my mattress and my son's have mattress covers on. I've checked our mattresses and I don't see any fecal matter, shells, or eggs. I've checked our curtains, the electrical outlets nears our beds, and our side tables. Our home was also recently hit with the stomach flu, so I've been washing our bedding like crazy anyway. The inspector didn't find anything either, but I just keep finding live single bed bugs in random places. I don't want to pay to treat if we don't even know where they're hiding. Is there a chance its not an infestation and I can get this under control before it becomes one? Since I've found the majority of them in the ceiling crevice, could they be coming from the upstairs apartment?

2. Frauleinash

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 12:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, there are some pro's that are against the mattress encasement simply because it can make them very difficult to find, since about 90% of all bugs found are in/on the mattress (I'm quoting a PCO). Therefore, if you guys DO have them, they will be harder to locate. Have you checked the encasements to see if there's any rips or tears? Have you checked the end tables, underneath the corners of your carpet, behind wall hangings? I've read they can be anywhere between 5-8 feet of your bed, so I would check literally everything a bug can fit into within the perimeter.

It's entirely possible that they are coming from a neighbor if all you're seeing is live bugs and no other signs like casings or fecal stains. Have you contacted your landlord?

3. nealalexandra

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 12:48:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The thing is, we are a new family and we have little furniture and no decorations or anything. There just aren't a lot of hiding places for them. I did contact the apartment manager and they won't pay for treatment. I'm just afraid to pay for treatment and then just get them all over again from a different apartment.

4. Frauleinash

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 13:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure if Kentucky law holds the landlord responsible, but they may just be hoping that you don't know your rights as a renter. I would DEFINITELY look into your rights as a Tennant. But aside from that, I was more hoping that the landlord could tell you if there has been any other complaints from your neighbors about them? Do you trust that your landlord would even be honest with you about this?

5. Frauleinash

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 13:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait... Now I don't see where you stated where you're from... And now I'm thinking that it was another person from a different thread that said they were from Kentucky, oops! What state are you in?

6. nealalexandra

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 13:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm from Bowling Green, KY. I have another thread I posted yesterday. My apartment management owns a lot of properties and I would think they would be honest. However, the inspector says he has been to this complex before, but said he had never been in my particular unit before. Where can I find out my rights as a tenant? At this point, I would rather just break my lease without any penalties instead of paying for an inspector to treat and then having the bed bugs come back. My mattress has had a mattress cover on since before we moved here, so I'm confident that would be okay.

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Oct 28 2016 15:48:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Find out the laws in your area and jump on your management. Threaten if you have to but you need to know about adjoining units and that's not your responsibility, it's theirs.

As mentioned above "90% of the time the bugs are on the mattress" - that's not even close to accurate. Mattress is too close to the host and moves around too much - bugs will be below the mattress or away from it 99% of the time.

There is zero tolerance for bed bugs so if you find bugs in your house your infested. There are levels of infestations but to think you don't have an infestation is inaccurate. You already found more than one so it's time for professional help.

Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,417 posts in 46,320 topics over 141 months by 20,415 of 21,254 members. Latest: spokallus, nu2bedbugs87, ndjur