(19 posts)
  1. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 8:37:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

For the past month my boyfriend and I have been getting bug bites at about 5-7 day intervals. I have only gotten single bites while he has twice gotten two bites clustered together. He works outside a lot so I am trying to tell myself that it’s likely from work, however every weekend I have torn the bedroom apart checking mattress seams, box spring, bedroom furniture for signs of bed bugs. The bites haven’t always shown up in the morning, and mine could possibly also be attributed to being outside during the summer, but I can’t shake this anxiety.

I have found nothing, no fecal spots, blood spots, casings or bed bugs.

My question is if it is indeed bed bugs when would the tell tale signs start to show?

2. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 9:03:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I should also note that I have seen mosquitos in the bedroom and where my boyfriend works there are trees and a small creek (where mosquitos may live). Do mosquitos ever bite twice creating a small cluster?

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 9:15:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Mosquitoes and bed bugs just feed, there is no bite configuration plan. If you see mosquitoes and you don't see any signs of bed bugs I would go with the obvious.

4. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 9:21:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reassurance, sometimes my mind gets away from me. I will continue to be vigilant but will try to focus on the obvious signs.

5. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 10:03:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I am still curious though at what point in an infestation would signs become obvious if you are actively looking?

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 11:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

There are many factors needed to give you an accurate answer, but in general it's more common to notice after at least one brood of eggs hatches. I've lucked out and found single bed bugs and stopped an infestation before it began, but to suggest a homeowner would have the same luck would be really misleading. I would think that the two month point would be a reasonable time frame, giving the bed bugs a chance to hatch, develop and then lay their own eggs, but in a minimalist's bedroom and good searching skills and eyesight it might be possible after two or three weeks. It's all just a guess, what is in the room and the habits of the resident have quite a bit to do with catching an infestation early.

Now, if you were to invest in a monitor for each bed and for your couch or recliner that would greatly reduce the time for detection as long as the infestation isn't already established.

7. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Aug 13 2019 21:10:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I know bites don’t mean bed bugs but my boyfriend noticed some itching last night and today three very itchy bites in a zig zag pattern have become swollen.

I feel like I’m going out of my mind looking for these things, is it common for mosquitos to bite three times? We also have lots of spiders around the house but I’ve read that spider bites are fairly uncommon

8. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 0:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

A few month with only bites once a week rules out a bed bug infestation. I opt for mosquito bites, too. The bite pattern of bed bugs is a myth.

Investing in a passive monitor would be good for your peace of mind.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 7:33:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Cowgirlblues - 10 hours ago  » is it common for mosquitos to bite three times?

Really?

10. Tim m

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 17:20:03
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 9 hours ago  » 

Really?

Really isn't an answer. Not everyone has knowledge of the insect world. But to answer this question no it's not common.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 17:59:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Tim m - 39 minutes ago  » 

Really?

Really isn't an answer. Not everyone has knowledge of the insect world. But to answer this question no it's not common.

This was already addressed within this thread.

12. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 20:11:58
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 2 hours ago  » 

Tim m - 39 minutes ago  » 

Really?

This was already addressed within this thread.

I apologize for the stupid question, I was feeling flustered and wasn’t thinking properly.

13. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 8:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Good morning, my boyfriend continues to get bites in ones and twos but still no signs of bed bugs on bed or surrounding furniture. The most recent were on the bottom of his foot and on his hip along the underwear line.

We have our mattress and box spring sitting on the floor. Climb ups would be useless for our setup, what kind of passive monitor would you suggest?

Thank you

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 8:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Technically Passive Monitor is a term that refers to only one type of monitor, the ones I patented.

In the US they are sold as PackTite Passives and the rest of the world via http://www.bedbugmonitors.com.

They are written about in the useful tools section.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  15. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 8:54:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response David. Do you agree with BigDummy in their previous statement of two months without signs can rule out bed bugs?

I have been doing a thorough inspection twice a week

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 9:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

My gold standard is 14 days Passive Monitoring as 2 months no signs is dependant on the quality and ability of the person looking not rather than the probability of a correct outcome.

You have to bear in mind that the average infestation of bedbugs in a non initial responder is 3+ months and bedbugs often go undetected in hotels for 6+ months.

Hope that makes sense.

David

17. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 9:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

My gold standard is 14 days Passive Monitoring as 2 months no signs is dependant on the quality and ability of the person looking not rather than the probability of a correct outcome.

You have to bear in mind that the average infestation of bedbugs in a non initial responder is 3+ months and bedbugs often go undetected in hotels for 6+ months.

Hope that makes sense.

David

18. Confused277

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 9:20:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    Hope that makes sense.
    David

How long would you guess a person on average would take to find an infestation if looking for one? For example I’ve noticed bites for about 2 months and have found no evidence. Neighbor separated by walls and a completely different entry way has BB confirmed. Same building but far away and a lot of walls between. I have had a PCO out when I first moved in and they saw nothing.

19. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 9:28:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I do t guess I am a professional.

I have said the detection is based on the ability of the person looking and the size of the issue.

I would suggest you actually stop and read some of the forum rather than shotgunning questions at random.

Unless you share a party wall spread through a building is that unlikely but that is not to say you can’t pick up bedbugs in the same way as someone else in your building.

David

20. Cowgirlblues

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Aug 23 2019 10:20:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David. With a box spring and mattress on the floor where would you recommend placing the passive monitor?

Also what are your thoughts on CO2 traps? I set one up using yeast and sugar while we were away for a weekend and it only caught a fruit fly. Would you say they are effective if the room is empty?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82