Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

When is a bump a bite?

(8 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 15 2017 23:32:07
    #

Login to Send PM

We had BBs. My bed was infested and we found one random bug in one of the kids' rooms when PCO came for second treatment. No other BBs or signs of BBs found in any other rooms.

We had our third treatment this past Tuesday and are now about 5 weeks since first treatment. The PCO inspected all the bedrooms carefully and found no bugs, casings, eggs, fecal spots or any visible signs at all this last visit. He said that while we can't have the all clear until there are no signs or bites for months, he thought we were in very good shape. I inspect the beds daily and the trays under the beds, and have found nothing. However, my kids and I have new potential bites this weekend. We have had potential bites appear within 3-5 days of each treatment. It is the strangest thing.

I do think several of the bumps I'm finding on me are acne related because of location and the way they feel. They hurt like pimples. It is not uncommon for me to get pimples on my neck, chest and shoulders, but they have been much worse lately. I am largely blaming this on stress, and the fact that it has gotten colder, which means the heat kicks in more at night and I sweat when I sleep.

However, tonight I found a bump on the inside of my wrist. And both kids have new bumps on their faces. They are not really at the age where I can blame it on pimples. I stripped the beds, checked the traps under the feet of their beds, and there are still absolutely no signs of bugs.

My husband thinks I am giving myself stress hives. But that doesn't explain the kids. Perhaps my son is old enough for a pimple, but the one spot is the oddest pimple I've ever seen and it also looks nothing like a typical bug bite.

Also, until we discovered the BBs in my bed, we really didn't show signs of being bitten. I had what I thought were late season mosquito bites a couple of times in the 6 weeks leading up to the discovery of BBs (BBs were not at all on my radar or I might have suspected something when I found those bites). However, those were nothing like the bumps showing up now. And none of the other members of my family had any.

I want to trust my PCO, who advised me to remain cautious and vigilant by still keeping clothes we wear in ziplocks, not taking items in and out of bedrooms, etc., but also said that we should feel good about our progress and not live in quite such a paranoid state anymore. But, I am so worried about these bumps. I still itch constantly and feel things crawling on me. I know its impossible to ID a BB bite, but I wonder if these bumps should be making me paranoid and causing us to bring in a new PCO or if I am just worrying myself to death. Is it normal for the bites to show up following treatment like this? Could they be from something else? Thank you for any advice.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2017 5:56:17
    #

Login to Send PM

You should leave some type of monitors out in case there are bed bugs crawling about. These will help and you won't have to keep stripping beds as your first step. It's impossible to say if bumps are bites. Bumps that appear on the skin can derive from many sources, one being insect bites, one being mite bites, etc.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 16 2017 7:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs, our PCO put the LightsOut moats under the feet of all our beds. Do those count as monitors or should I add additional passive monitors to the beds and sofa? I ordered David Cain's passive monitors, but didn't put them on because I thought I had read that they didn't work in conjunction with the LightsOut or Climb Up interceptors.

Also, I check the beds each day as I am making them. Unfortunately, when my kids sleep, they kick blankets off the bed, so they are dragging dangerously close to floors and walls. So I check their bedding, pillows and the few stuffed animals I let them sleep with carefully each day - basically unmaking the bed completely and making it again. Am I going overboard? I launder everything once a week, throwing the stuffed animals and pillows in a hot dryer for 40-60 minutes (afraid 20 won't do it with the thicker items). Is that often enough?

Thanks again for all of your help and advice.

4. cantcallit2016

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 4:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Ithoughtlicewerebad your not alone but your not alone after a infestation back in mid 2015 and at least 6 treatments by a pco started over except clothing and electronics in almost 10 months have received what looks like 50 marks on upper body take forever too heal and some small spots of blood few times searched everywhere even had a pco too spray no signs at least you have actually seen yours have those same sensations something is crawling on me the itch it's rough hope your problem gets better soon!!

5. Lllo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jan 22 2017 9:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't want to suggest what you should. However in my case we removed the climb ups and2 weeks after our last treatment we put out David's monitors. That was December 15ish. They are still clear. I do feel like things are crawling on me and I feel sharp little stabs but I know these feelings are my residual fear. I haven't had a real bite since November 19 which was right after our first treatment.

6. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 24 2017 22:58:47
    #

Login to Send PM

@Lllo, thank you. Sorry I missed this reply earlier. This is my same inclination... I'm thinking perhaps after the next treatment I will try that. For now, I want to work with my PCO and his advice as he is recommended in our area and a very trustworthy guy. It's a small town. Everyone knows everyone. But when he comes back in two weeks, if things still look good, I will switch to the passive monitors to be sure.

@cantcallit2016, I am sorry this has been going on for you for so long. I feel your pain and I itch constantly. My husband has gone from understanding and consoling to telling me I'm crazy and I need to get over this. He is trying tough love now to keep me from losing it. I hope that we all get back to normal sooner rather than later.

7. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 14:25:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, zombug. We do have the encasements on all the beds right now. Sadly, just this morning I found a small tear in the one on my box spring from where it scraped against the frame. I immediately covered it with duck tape but am of course worried that something escaped. Not sure when it happened. I check the beds each day and don't recall seeing it before. Of course, this is the one weekend where I wasn't as diligent with the checking. Praying that the treatments killed off all the bugs, or I caught this before all the living bugs escaped. No fecal or other signs of bugs in bed this morning, so am trying to stay optimistic.

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 30 2017 16:39:16
    #

Login to Send PM

zombug apocolypse please stop spamming your Amazon links to encasements.

To add insult to injury, Amazon accepts returns of such items, so.. not recommended to buy there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs