Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

When can you return some clothes to your dresser/closet?

(10 posts)
  1. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 10:23:44
    #

Login to Send PM

We have been living out of plastic bags for about 6 weeks or so, I'm not exactly sure.
    We have had our third treatment last Friday.

Neither any of the inspections of PCO (we have had several closely look, two different ones were here over an hour looking) and we have not found one bed bug, not one casing, not one shed skin, all we ever saw in the beginning was the bite on my childs arm, lifting and checking all matresses and finding fecal drops between mattress and box springs (peppery flecks but no staining).

We have never figured out how we brought them home, no travelling, but are suspicious of visiting relative in nursing home.

So the last visit they seemed to think I'm nuts still living out of plastic bags. I am to scared to stop. The last bite that I know was bed bug was about 8 days ago (3 bites in a row close together) but I'm so confused.

When did you take some clothes and put them back in your room?
    I would like to put my kids clothes into 2 gallon ziplocs and place maybe a week worth of close in their dressers, they would still be in ziplocs but at least in there room and not in lviing room.

I live in an area where every PCO I talked to has said one treatment is enoough, etc...
    I have met no one with the knowledge of the experts on this board.

So can I return a few items to the dressers at least?

And I know nobugs feelings of stuff stored in sealed bags, I don't have any stuff in bags besides clothing that has been scalded to death in the dryer.

Any thoughts....please.

2. Piolina

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 11:38:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I am the same I been having my clothes in bags for two weeks. I had 2 treaments in the first he found three on the last one he found one dead but I unscrew my bed and found their spot I found about 4 dead there. I'm still scared that I have some more but he said that two treatments is enough.

3. kateydid

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 12:43:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe you'll read on other places on this site that the accepted standard is 55 or 60 days AFTER you've been all-clear, meaning no bites, no sightings or other signs of bugs, before you start to relax your protocols with your clothes, etc. Keep in mind you don't want to spread them OR have to start all over if your infestation isn't gone. Personally I'm waiting two full months until I hear my entire building is clear.

4. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 14:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Through my treatment I used XL ziplocs inside dresser drawers. As long as they stay sealed they are as safe there as any place else. You just have to make sure the kids don't get stuff out and leave them open.

I'd wait the 30 days (55 if anyone doesn't react).

Good luck!! Eight days is a great start!!

5. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 15:06:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I had things in bags until I found a baby at the bottom of a sealed bag 2 weeks after drying it. I think the dryer wasn't hot enough. Well, after that, I had to wash everything again making sure the dryer was hot enough. I don't keep things in baggies anymore because i'm afraid to protect any bugs from coming in contact with the poison. I don't know if it's the right thing or not, just what I'm doing.

6. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 15:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks everyone! I think I will keep a few ziplocs in the drawers, but only I can open the ziplocs. The rest is stored in plastic bags stored in plastic containers because I had bags everywhere and at least the plastic storage bins contain the bags some.

So I just start counting sixty days from now?

The last treatment was different chemical than first two treatments, the last one was Phantom which doesn't actually kill them for at least 10 days but since they can't sense it, that is good.

Still not seen anything ... I called looking for bed bug dog in Texas, can not find one in whole state.

I guess I just hope they are gone...

7. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 20:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

So if I am reading this right, you get three treatments, say they are 30 days apart, you have to live for 5-6 months with clothing in bags?

8. buggblues

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2008 22:42:37
    #

Login to Send PM

the way i am feeling i think i will have my clothes and everything else in plastic bags as long as i live

9. Livingagain

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 8:10:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bitten, You count the 55 days from the last time anyone was bitten, or sees a live bug or sees any evidence that a bug has been there, i.e. blood spots, fecal spots.

I hope it continues to go well!

10. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Nov 4 2008 8:51:00
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks bareliving, I will start counting.

eatingmealive: treatments typically should be every 10 to 14 days until no bites, bugs, etc...not 30 days apart as the eggs hatch about every 7 to 10 days.

may we all be bag free and bug free soon!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie