When Am I Safe?

(3 posts)
  1. LMC224

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2016 21:24:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a mid-level infestation, my room is small so it's been somewhat hard to treat. At the moment, most of my clothes are in the hallway outside my room, and I feel like I'm perpetually moving.

Even before this, I was planning on getting a new bed frame+mattress and doing some light redecorating. I just had my 4th treatment and I'm hoping it worked though I think there's a very good chance I'll need a 5th.

But going forward, how long do you think I should be bed-bug free before I can do each of the following things:

- Throw out my old bed frame and assemble the bed frame sitting in the hallway right now

- Throw out my old mattress and purchase a new one

- Buy new (unstained) sheets

- Put clothes back in my drawers/closet

- Unshrink/stretch the clothes that shrunk in the dryer

- Put framed items and posters back on the walls

- Put my new tapestry up on the wall

- Could store things in plastic bins under the bed (such a small space that under bed storage is pretty vital)

- Could feel comfortable having guests without worrying they would take one home

- Can stop actively searching for evidence of them, even if I'm still using a passive detection method for paranoia's sake.

Basically the only thing that's keeping me going is that after this is all over, I'm going to redecorate and create a home that feels safe again.

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2016 22:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, this all sucks. A lot of it stays with you for a while, but it becomes part of routine, so it doesn't bother you as much.

A rule of thumb that I've heard people say around here is 60 days with no sightings or other evidence lets you know you're clear. That would be a good guideline for when you can start redoing things.

The stuff that ends up shrinking, could you just soak it first to make sure it's bug free and then launder a less harsh way? I don't have bugs at your level, but for my protocol I just hang up things that are shrinkable to dry and then run them through the dryer to get up to heat when they're dry. That does better.

Good luck!

3. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Dec 8 2016 8:06:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I dipped several of my shrinkables into a large pot of boiling water. Instant kill. I also air dried then heat dried as mentioned.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,455 posts in 48,828 topics over 151 months by 21,440 of 21,843 members. Latest: Beardface, BugBrosHauntingMe, brokengarage