Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

What's the science behind bites taking weeks to show?

(3 posts)
  1. Confirmed

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 9 2013 22:42:41
    #

Login to Send PM

This is one thing that I've read and it stumps me. I'm a pretty inquisitive person,maybe it's the medical field aspect for me. I've been trying to wrap my brain around why there would be such a delay. We found the bugs only in one room Sat, and only my boys who share that room have been bitten. However I just noticed a small teeny tiny bump on my face. It doesn't feel like a pimple nor look like one so I'm just assuming it's a BB bite. It wasn't there this morning and I think I would have felt something crawling on my face if it happened while I was awake. Wondering if it happened a few days ago. When anything else bites, you see it almost immediately. Why not with BB's?

2. Nemo

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 15:39:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant to respond to this and then got distracted. . .

When our body receives some insult to the immune system, hypersensitivity reactions can result. These come in five different types. The ones of interest here are type I reactions and type IV reactions. In a type I reaction there are cells called mast cells that produce histamine and store it in granules, and when they're stimulated by some allergen they recognize, they dump the histamine ("degranulate") and you almost immediately get a welt in the case of a mosquito bite, or a runny nose and itchy eyes in case of hay fever. It is an antibody-mediated reaction.

The type IV reaction is delayed. It is a cell-mediated reaction, meaning no antibodies are involved, but two types of cells, one recognizing an allergen and then activating another type of cell. The cells that get activated are cytotoxic T cells (among others. . .) These circulate through your body, but when you get bit the ones that respond to bed bug bites start aggregating at the bite location. Eventually you get a bump appearing. This will fade as the cells calm down, but sometimes the cytotoxic T cells hang around in the skin there for months, and if you get bit in a different place later they can get an immune signal through your blood that A BED BUG HAS BITTEN US and flare up again. Eventually these flare ups will go away as the T cells disperse.

Some bites also involve toxins, like spider bites and bee stings, but bed bug bites are an allergic response.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 15:58:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In a nutshell we are all individuals and as such respond in different ways.

Take a few minutes to read this link below and then come back to finish the rest of this post:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

As well as the immune mediated responses due to bedbugs there are also a group of people who only respond to secondary influences such as environmental air quality and temperature. although these can also be immune related they are only connected to bedbugs by virtue of the skin damage and the micro holes they leave behind.

The reality is that even if you spend the time to work out what group you fall into it has 0% bearing on how you resolve the issue so its just a massive dis-tractor and red herring.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula