(15 posts)
  1. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 15:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi guys,

I just returned home from travel yesterday night.

Can someone please explain to me what's going on? I think im going to collapse.

So, me and my boyfriend were on a Eurotrip until the 14th July. From 7-10th July we've been to a hotel where we've seen signs of crushed bed bugs, although the hotel reacted suspiciously in denial. From 10-13th July we've stayed in another hotel who seemed to have some blood stains, and some fecal matters, but we are not sure. We've never seen any live bedbugs.

Starting from the 9th for me and the 10th for my boyfriend, we've noticed all kinds of different bites on us. They vary so much, I could almost say that each day is different. During the days before, I alone was feeling itchy all the time, never on a specific bite, but in general. But I've had ''bites'' that looked like a scratch mark, little red bumps, my boyfriend has those typical red round bites (non itchy though). On thing unique and suspicious is that on the 13th i wore an already worn dress (maybe infected), and at night discovered TONS of little red bumps all over the surface that my dress covered, they looked like nothing that I've ever had before. These are my last burst of bites before returning home.

PRECAUTIONS I TOOK: Once back in my hometown, before we went back to our respective house, we threw away all the clothes and the luggage, took 2 showers outside the house, wiped everything unwashable with 99% alcohol, put them in Ziplock bag. Took a shower back home.

According to my calculations, my reaction time should be around 2-3 days, same for my boyfriend. So, maximum until the 17th i should have no new bites appearing.

I woke up fine, without any itches or bites, however, i had to open the sealed unwashable items to get some of my ID cards today. I didn't change clothes or take a shower after! (Because i thought that since my dad goes to our workplace everyday, it's futile that i wash myself. If there's anything, he will bring it to the workplace himself). I then went to my work place: our family business, a little convenience store with carpets. Around the time i arrived i felt really itchy and there's two red spots with scab on my 2 ankles that i didn't notice this morning, and right now im typing here to you guys.

So my question is, AFTER ALL THIS PRECAUTION, why am i still itchy? Could it be that despite all this, I brought some home??

Im really panicking, please help!

Thank you infinitely!

2. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 17:29:05
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE!

While going back home still itchy i noticed a bug crawling on my arm. Im pretty sure its not bed bugs since it looked like an ant with black and white stomach.

After entering my house i directly head to the shower. However, upon the first jet of water, i saw a little black bug struggling with water then i never found it again. Maybe its a nymph? Can they look black?

Im seriously in disbelief about a possibility that there might be bedbugs with me, i threw away every clothing and luggage, wiped every other thing with alcohol....

I feel like i want to end this, everything.. right away, please anybody give me your opinion on this.

3. bugdefcon

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 17:48:14
    #

Login to Send PM

toomuchbugs - 2 hours ago  » 
    So my question is, AFTER ALL THIS PRECAUTION, why am i still itchy? Could it be that despite all this, I brought some home??
    Im really panicking, please help!
    Thank you infinitely!

As many people have said. Some people have delayed reactions to bites. You could have gotten those bites days ago and only now notice them. Also, there is a psychological condition known as parasitosis. Simply it means that people feel like they have bugs crawling on them, but in reality don't. It happens to me. If I see bugs I start itching. It doesn't have to be bed bugs, it could be ants. Not because they are crawling on me, but because I'm concerned they might. It's common for people to react that way. So there are various reasons why you might still feel itchy.

4. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 17:56:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Bugdefcon!

For the delayed reaction, i really hope this is the case for me but to be honest, it only took me 2-3 days to develop my first bites after visiting this suspicious hotel. However, one thing that is really paradoxal is that i've already felt itchy on the day i arrived to that hotel, maybe even before, but only after that hotel the itching got really worse.

Does that change your opinion?

As for parasitosis, i really dont feel like bugs crawling on me, but more like just simply itchy, really itchy.

Thank you so much for your help

5. bugdefcon

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Jul 16 2013 18:13:04
    #

Login to Send PM

toomuchbugs - 12 minutes ago  » 
    As for parasitosis, i really dont feel like bugs crawling on me, but more like just simply itchy, really itchy.

That's what it is. You expect to be itchy and thus you are. It's a matter of perception. I only encountered live bedbugs once but for weeks afterwards I felt itchy. I knew it wasn't bugs yet I still felt that way. Even knowing what was happening rationally didn't mean I didn't feel itchy emotionally.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 1:20:36
    #

Login to Send PM

After entering my house i directly head to the shower. However, upon the first jet of water, i saw a little black bug struggling with water then i never found it again. Maybe its a nymph? Can they look black?

First instar nymphs are clear if unfed or bright-red-bodied if fed. Older instars and adults are various shades of reddish-brown.

So it was very unlikely to be a bed bug.

If you see other bugs which concern you, try and collect a sample and submit a photo for ID.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 7:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, thank you guys so much for your response. Yes i will submit an photo ID if i see them again.

I really hope that the itch is psychological, but i'm wondering if it's also possible for the reaction period to change length? (This is out of my reaction period and im really hoping this doesnt mean i brought them home, my boyfriend and family thinks im almost insane for doing all that precaution..)

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jul 17 2013 14:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

We don't know a whole lot of things for sure about bed bug bites, but it does seem that reactions can vary even in a single person. As such, they don't tell us much. Some people seem to have some kind of reaction for a while after bed bugs are gone, but this is anecdotal.

Bed bug monitors are likely to tell you more about whether you may have brought bed bugs home than skin reactions are.

9. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 7:31:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Nobugsonme,

That's what I was planning to do too, but since if there's anything it's probably a light infestation, maybe i should wait a little bit before installing the monitors?

Thank you for your help!

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 8:13:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

WTF why would you wait if its light?

Would you fair better dealing with a heavier case?

The whole point of monitoring is to detect early so it's easier to resolve.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  11. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 9:12:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Because my family is very resisting....they dont believe me and oppose to the installation of monitors if i dont have a concrete proof of a live bedbug. They also dont believe the fecal stains means anything. I would install it right away but its them who want me to "wait and see" because they are soo convinced that there's nothing.

Lack of cooperation is not helpful

12. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 23:23:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Update and question,

So after 3 days of no bites after returning home from traveling, i thought i was safe. However, on the 3rd day at night (yesterday) i saw 1 red circular bump on my leg, I worried a little but was convinced that it wont mean anything.

This morning no new discovery, but this afternoon after a shower i noticed at least 5-6 clusters of red circular marks, smaller in size, some with a fresh scab in the center and others dont, concentrated on specific areas of my body. Their number is such that i just cant bother to count anymore. Probably at least 20-30 plus...

My question is:

According to the circumstances of lets say a light infestation, is it biologically possible to pass by from 1-2 visible bite one day to like 30 plus the next day?
    I know it might be delayed reaction, but i cant picture that the bugs multiplied so quickly in one night.

Any opinion much appreciated! Thanks

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jul 19 2013 23:40:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions are not going to tell you if you have been bitten by bed bugs, if this happened at home, or by how many bugs.

As David said, monitors are ideal for this situation because only visual evidence (bed bugs, fecal stains, shed skins or eggs) are going to confirm you have bed bugs, and monitors will help you find them. See our FAQ on bed bug monitors.

14. toomuchbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 20 2013 7:07:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Nobugs, the Packtite Passive is already in the shipping

I was just in disbelief that things can progress so fast (IF it is BB), and wanted a confirmation. Maybe I am impatient for an answer, one thing i've been asking myself about the Packtite Passive is that why is it recommended to check it at a maximum interval of one week and not one day, is it so that the bedbugs dont get disturbed?

Thank you!

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jul 20 2013 7:27:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you check too frequently it compounds and feeds anxiety. The weekly checking is because eggs take 10-14 days to hatch so there is really no need to check more frequently although some people check if they get skin reactions for reassurance purposes.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Minitors as the inventor.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316