what worked for me, after expensive PCO failed

(17 posts)
  1. adrianpolit

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 22:49:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't guarantee this would work in every situation, but this it what finally worked for our household:
    It was a nightmare: sleepless nights, packing up rooms, bugs spreading to other parts of the house, worrying about having infected friends, etc. Took 6 weeks to finally cure after figuring out that weeks of itching was not 'chigger bites'. Expensive pest control killed a lot of bugs, but did not get them all, thus did not solve problem (like 'almost' putting out a fire). Final solution was to disassemble and sanitize the bed frame with alcohol, encase the mattress in bug-proof liner, cook the bedding in the dryer, pull the bed away from the wall, put sticky tape around the bed legs AND around the perimeter of the room where the wall meets the ceiling. The biting stopped and the bugs eventually all starved to death. We kept that arrangement for 6 months to make sure all eggs are dead. If we ever get hit again, we will use the same procedure.

Bedbugs need to feed and molt five times before laying eggs. Running in the dryer for 30 minutes or so kills bugs and eggs in clothes and bedding. Rubbing alcohol kills bugs and I think eggs on contact. Sanitize the bed and bedding, sanitize or encase the mattress, isolate the bed by pulling away from the wall, put sticky tape around the legs AND sticky tape around the edge of the room/ceiling (bedbugs will crawl up the wall, across the ceiling, and drop down on the bed). If you miss some, re-cook the bedding and re-sanitize the bed frame. Bugs and eggs probably will last less than three months at normal room temperature (longer if colder).

If you travel somewhere and think you might be infested, cook all your clothes in the dryer and shower. I think I got infested by sitting on a couch during a home visit, but that’s just a guess.

Pest control? It was a lot of work to make the room ready for pest control, expensive, and chemicals. AND, did not get all the bugs. AND chemical residue ruined some items. Personally, I MIGHT use pest control to get a very heavy infestation down in numbers. Or if I wanted to kill off a population that could spread to other apartments. (After all, once you cut the bugs off from their food source, they will range as far as they can looking for other food, before they are exhausted and die.) Bottom line, our apartment is built such that bugs cannot get to another unit, so if I get hit with bedbugs in the future, I will probably just use the isolate and starve method, and not use professional pest control.

Traps—bait traps don’t seem to work at all if there are warm breathing humans around. Despite having a heavy infestation, our four bait traps caught a total of two bugs. They might work to test whether an uninhabited residence has bedbugs. Barrier traps are handy—we used the barrier traps to make sure bugs could not climb up bed and furniture legs. Altogether they caught three or four bugs. But I think sticky tape alone would have been enough. Diatomaceous earth-- we used it extensively. Caused slight breathing problems. Can’t tell whether it killed bugs or not. We coated our bed frames pretty heavily, but some still made it from the bed frame to the bed. If I had to do it again, I would just concentrate on cooking the bedding, cleaning the bedframe, encasing the mattress, and protecting the bed with sticky tape on legs and ceiling. I.e., stop the bugs from feeding, they will not reproduce and will eventually die. Then you can put your furniture back.

2. Mairead27

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 22:55:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Great advice. I like how you use the word "cook" here

3. bugsshouldgo

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 21:38:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Your advice seems to make sense to starve them rather than kill them. Which Sticky Tape did you use? Where can you get it from? Would a Double side Carpet Tape work? I have picked the one from Homepak.

What kind of CO2 monitors you used?

4. colgateiscool

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 21:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

They need to feed and molt five times? I didn't know this.

I also thought it took 18 months without food and room temperature?

Cheers on getting rid of them!

5. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 14 2014 1:37:54
    #

Login to Send PM

None of those steps will work in a household with pets, as although bedbugs prefer human blood over anything else they won't hesitate to feed on dogs, cats, hamsters, e.t.c. if they are kept from accessing humans.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  6. Disgusted2

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 29 2014 16:43:51
    #

Login to Send PM

ITortureBugs4Revenge - 1 month ago  » 
    None of those steps will work in a household with pets, as although bedbugs prefer human blood over anything else they won't hesitate to feed on dogs, cats, hamsters, e.t.c. if they are kept from accessing humans.

My experience is fairly similar to what that person did and it does work.

As for pets, you have to isolate them, too.

We have a black lab dog, and the bed bugs were hitching a ride on her into my bed for awhile even after I encased my mattresses, used climb up traps around each leg, and pull the bed away from the wall. As it turns out, her dog bed that was on the floor was also infested with bed bugs. We threw it away and got her several raised dog beds, with short legs, and then put down a washable towel for her to lie on during the day. We put each leg of the dog bed down into a small cup of vegetable oil, and so bed bugs could no longer get to her and hitch a ride into my bed. Just look for the "Coolaroo Elevated Pet Bed." We rarely keep her in a crate, but when we do, we put down a thick sheet of plastic on the floor, put the crate on the plastic, and then lightly dust the plastic with D.E., so bed bugs would have to crawl through D.E. to get to her, and then eventually die.

As for other pets, keep their cages up off the floor and on some sort of bed bug proof table with legs, so you can isolate the pets from bed bugs.

As the person above said, these methods do work. They're not quick. But they are fairly cheap.

7. Year2014

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 12 2014 16:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

what do you mean sticky tape?
    double sided tape so the bugs stick to it?

8. bbandnosleep

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 12 2014 18:32:28
    #

Login to Send PM

To adrianpolit:
    What a great post you had from months ago. We did just about everything that you did and we have not seen any bedbugs of late. I do have one question regarding what you did: Did you ever get any bedbugs on the tape?

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 12 2014 18:45:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah what tape did you use because non of the 50+ I have tried have been effective. It may have something to do with bedbugs testing te surface before tey commit to walking on it.

I eventually gave up on tape and made a video to show why it does not work.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. player

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 13 2014 5:06:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting but wouldn't this then force them to spread to other directions inc other rooms or into flooring, even wall sockets...etc. It could force them to adventure out looking for a meal, or access to a meal, spreading them further esp. in places like flats, joint compartments, shared walled accommodations that are next or above below each other... Also they could end-up laying eggs all over the place!

11. Year2014

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Sep 13 2014 22:45:21
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    Yeah what tape did you use because non of the 50+ I have tried have been effective. It may have something to do with bedbugs testing te surface before tey commit to walking on it.
    I eventually gave up on tape and made a video to show why it does not work.
    David

so double sided tape doesn't work?

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 14 2014 2:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No tapes really work, I can't embed the link at the second but search YouTube for "tapetestapril2014" and you can see how bedbugs avoid getting stuck on tape.

David

13. Year2014

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 15 2014 11:42:09
    #

Login to Send PM

thx. found the video.

so the bedbug will just back away from the sticky surface once they detect it.

hm.. how about vasoline on the bedframe legs?
    will bedbugs get stuck and die in the vasoline?

14. hopelessnfreakigout

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2014 11:33:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Sticky tape worked for you. Do you remember the brand? I went through too types and the home Depot guy confirmed he watched them crawl over also with heavy duty brands and so I assumed it was false Internet info and simply amongst the 3000 things people do all at once. I stand corrected.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2014 11:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry I missed your reply earlier.

No Vaseline will not work, it is not effective. I recall a post a few years ago where someone literally bisected there home with a barrier of Vaseline and still had a bed bug issue in the "clean zone".

Personally all the tapes I have tested have failed and all the glue based devices we have tried have also failed to impress. However we are more than happy with the more logical approaches we have developed.

David

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2014 12:15:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone wishing to emulate the OP should also be aware that spraying isopropyl alcohol everywhere will make your home flammable. Multiple people have started fires this way-- in some cases with severe consequences.

DIY treatment can work, but IMO, you're better off getting good advice from professionals on our forums. You can use better products and methods.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  17. Shayker

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 11:50:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome! I do think unfortunately that the eggs can survive alcohol:( Good thinking with the bed! Tape is smarter than what we did... we moved the beds out and set the frame legs in little pans with vegetable oil. It worked but tape would have been better. Lol:)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,336 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14