Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

What type of steamer to buy in Switzerland?

(7 posts)
  1. dan2k3k4

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Nov 23 2014 13:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in small 30m2 studio with my girlfriend and she was getting itchy bites for a few weeks, I didn't think it would be bed bugs but after checking under the covers one morning we found a shell skin and then I got the Regie to send thr bug company around with a dog to check if there is any. We found a living one as soon as we picked up the mattress even though I was checking every day before that and found nothing, no traces either.

Anway, fast forward a week and we've double scotch taped the legs of the bed and the couch bed.
    We started sleeping on the couch bed too as we don't use it much so it's probably only the bed area that's infested, anyway they'll come to to do the fumigation on Tuesday and again 10 days later then bring the dog back 10 days after to be sure there's no more. Girlfriend works in hotel (as receptionist) and told me they had bed bugs there about 2 months ago, so that might be where they came from.

We have to freeze all our clothes and books for 3 days, there's too many to wash and we're not sure if the communal washing machine is any good at getting rid of them, even if we wash at 60 abd leave on hot drying for a while.

I've found a lot of people say steaming works great at killing the eggs and any other bugs you find. I've no idea what to buy, I live in Geneva, Switzerland and took a quick search on galaxus.ch, this is one that is quite highly rated:

https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s2/product/black-decker-dampfbesen-fsmh-1621-steam-cleaner-425792

Should I get it? I'd like to use it weekly after the fumigation is complete.

Also I don't get any reaction to the bites, I get a small bunched up bite like a mosquito bite but it's not itchy. My girlfriend gets a larger flat circle that is itchy for her. She kept assuming it was mosquitos :/ if I knew about bed bugs before, I would have known the instant she had the first few bites instead of waiting a few weeks before we did anything.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 5:38:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Firstly, sorry the information on freezing for only 3 days is not accurate and correct, it takes a lot longer and to be reliable the freezer MUST be calibrated first.

If your budget will stretch to it the best steamer int he world for bedbugs is the Polti Cimex Eradicator as its the first one to be optimized for bedbug work by people who are actually bedbug experts and who use such things every day.

I would suggest you read through the FAQs for the best advice and protocols on what will help you.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 10:46:39
    #

Login to Send PM

And if your budget doesn't stretch to the Cimex Eradicator, I understand Polti has a range of dry vapor steamers, which should still work with some effort, skill, and knowledge.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 24 2014 11:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

dan2k3k4 - » 
    We have to freeze all our clothes and books for 3 days, there's too many to wash and we're not sure if the communal washing machine is any good at getting rid of them, even if we wash at 60 abd leave on hot drying for a while.

Also, you don't need to wash clean clothes . . . just run them through the dryer. (And if you are using a communal laundry facility, it's been stated that some users pull the dry clothes directly out of the dryer and put into clean bags (not using the counter/table tops)).

http://bedbugger.com/2007/05/18/dryer/

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2014 12:53:44
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems that the boilers in the vast majority of quality steamers regardless of brand come from Italy, would you like that Cimex with Espresso or cappuccino?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Dec 1 2014 14:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Winston,

That is exactly why good steamers come from Italy. The steamer and espresso coffee machine industry are one and the same. In fact there are two main companies in the Milan area but only was sensible enough to ask Franco and I to come in and work on a design with them.

Sadly they have departed the world of "real" coffee and are playing with these coffee pod devices which although the likley future of the market, I have not found one that gives a good smooth creamer layer so will stick to what I have.

David

7. spicynat

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 7 2014 17:34:00
    #

Login to Send PM

@dan2k3k4 I can't tell you if this one is good. I bought a Kärcher one and I'm happy with it. Not sure if it helps. I've heard that if you already had treatments in your home so you should use the steamer carefully only after talking with your PCO to make sure the steam cannot create vapors of insecticide that could harm you. (I've read it somewhere in this forum)
    Good luck! I hope you got rid of your BBs!

@David Cain: I also live in Geneva and here the PCOs can get your belongings frozen for you for 72hours to kill the BBs. They don't do this in regular freezers. Theirs are at much lower temperature which probably explains the shorter time. I guess they know what they do... or at least I hope so.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams