What to use? [pesticide advice sought]

(9 posts)
  1. nhlsurvivor

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 3 2013 16:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Trying to keep this short. Two yrs ago went to Disney area and got bbs. It was a celebratory trip because I was in remission from NHL (cancer). Hired a pro, but they came back, so I decided to self treat. I figured all the painstaking process of washing and drying all clothes didn't work, so decided to spray without going through all that again. Well that was around a year ago we still have them. I realize I must do all the prep again, so now that my kids are out of school, I have begun. My question is what to do and use? Do I treat the whole house? I'm afraid I may have scattered the bugs with my technique. I'm the family member that gets most of the bites and they seem to all happen in my bedroom, but I can't be for sure. I've been using Temprid SC because that's what my PCO used. I've purchased several cans of Phantom, but finishing my prep work before using. Am I headed down the right path?? Spray my whole house? Thanks!!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 0:38:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi nhlsurvivor,

Sorry you have had bed bugs for so long.

I can't advise on pesticides -- in fact only one pro here (P Bello) tends to do that. In the meantime, though, I have some questions which may help us help you.

First, I understand you have skin reactions. Have you found bed bugs, cast skins, fecal stains or eggs? When was the last sighting and what was it? (In some cases, the problem persists because it's a different problem, so I want to make sure.)

You said your first PCO did not solve the problem. How many times did they treat and with what? What intervals were there between treatments?

Is hiring a good PCO an option this time? Self-treatment is not easy.

Do I understand correctly that you've had bed bugs for an entire year? Was anyone treating during that time? If you have been trying to battle this on your own for so long, again, it may be time to get someone in to do it for you.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. nhlsurvivor

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 7:54:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for responding. Yes, a year. I did go without bites for a few months after initial infestation. I think the second time came from things I didn't have stored correctly ( in tubs but not bags)
    Have not found any fecal stains, but I've found a few bugs and some cast skins. Yesterday as I was bagging clothes, I found a nymph.
    I have sprayed during the year with Temprid. That's what my PCO used. Do you think they've become resistant to it?
    Definitely contacting a professional if after washing, drying, bagging, etc, and using Phantom does not work.
    THANKS!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 13:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still hoping you'll answer the questions above about the timeline -- when were treatments done, at what intevals-- because it may be that your treatment failed because it was insufficient. This is important to note if you hire someone new- treatments are usually done at 2 week intervals (approx.) until bed bugs are entirely gone (which should be determined by inspections and/or monitors).

I'd encourage you to post an image just so the experts here can confirm the ID. Sometimes other pests are mistaken for bed bugs. A close image can rule out bat bugs and other closely related species (lots of PMPs can't tell the difference).

I can't answer your questions about pesticides as I'm not an expert but so changed the title of the topic to hopefully attract someone who can answer your Temprid questions.

5. nhlsurvivor

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 4 2013 19:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO would come out about every week or so. I had to call to tell them I was still getting bit. I went about six months with no bite. When the bites started again, I followed the directions on the Temprid container, which said to use every 7-10 days.

Like I mentioned I was frustrated, so I thought I could get rid of them without laundering everything. ( I did launder before PCO came out. everything!)That was May of last year. After sticking to a rigorous schedule, my bites didn't completely go away, but did get much smaller and less frequent. I freaked out about being exposed to all the chemicals so I sprayed about every three weeks. A couple of weeks ago, they started welting up again and getting more numerous.

I will get a picture posted of what I've found.

Looking back I realize how crazy it all sounds. Had a cry this morning and now ready to battle some more. Funny, chemo the drs gave me rid me of cancer in six months, but it's so hard to get rid of these creatures!!

Thanks for changing title of the topic☺

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 5 2013 3:18:46
    #

Login to Send PM

If your main reason to avoid hiring a PCO is to avoid doing the lengthy prep, there are actually PCOs who don't require the laundry, etc., depending where you are. I am so sorry you had to deal with this, especially after battling cancer.

I am not a pro and can't advise on the chemicals, and whether pesticide resistance might be an issue with this one, but I would suggest definitely getting a bug ID photo posted, and also consider if you can explore other professional treatment options.

Yes, DIY is possible, but (a) you've had bed bugs a long time and self-treatment has not been working, (b) there should be multiple treatment options available, and (c) an experienced pro is usually going to get rid of the problem faster and more fully than someone who isn't experienced in dealing with the problem.

7. nhlsurvivor

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 5 2013 7:00:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in the process of laundering and bagging things. We are a family of five, so it takes a while.
    My main reason for not using a PCO this time is the cost, but it is something we could afford. It would just make things tighter in the financial area.

We're in the state of Georgia. If anyone knows of a reliable PCO in the metro Atlanta area please let me know.

I took a photo on my ipad,but image was bad. Will use my iPhone to take and then post to @ bedbugger on twitter.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jun 5 2013 16:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

One of the experts who volunteers to answer questions on this site is P Bello, who is in your area. I dropped him a note to see if he has suggestions.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jun 6 2013 0:12:17
    #

Login to Send PM

nhlsurvivor,

I sent you a private message. You can click the link in the sidebar or here to read it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug