Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

What to do if find BBs in hotel room, but cannot switch rooms or hotel?

(8 posts)
  1. evergreen

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Feb 25 2011 20:54:31
    #

Login to Send PM

We are in the process of being treated for BBs in our house. Next month we're attending a group event at a hotel. The group is paying for our one night hotel stay, which is in the same place as the all day convention. I checked out the hotel on TripAdvisor. It is old and not well kept at all with complaints of mice, mold and bugs (unspecified). I had mentioned it to my husband, and the reply is that we will stay at that hotel despite of the bad reviews. (I checked the BedBug Registry, and there has been no complaint filed there for this hotel.)

I don't want to bring more BBs home from this trip. The complaints of bugs (not specifically BBs) in the reviews on TripAdvisor have me worried. Because of the circumstances, it is very likely that we will have to stay at that hotel and may not be able to switch rooms, as the hotel is booked for the convention.

I plan to:
    1) bring all our things in Ziplock bags, and put all laundry in bags.
    2) check out in the morning, and bring all our belongings (except for purse and backpacks) to our car. (I'm not sure if this will prevent bringing BBs into the car.)
    3) PackTite our things when we get home.
    4) I hope to do some inspection when we check in. I'm not should how good a job I can do by myself with 3 kids in tow. (My husband is totally not good at this kind of thing - so no help there.)
    5) I will bring a bottle of SteriFab to spray any bugs that I see.

Can you please suggest other things that I should do if we have to stay in a room with obvious BBs?
    (I know moving to a different room or hotel is preferable, but given the circumstances - they are sponsoring our hotel stay for a competition that my son was invited to - that might not be possible.)

This will be our first time traveling since we discovered BBs. So I could use a lot of advice! Thanks!

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Feb 25 2011 22:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider placing any items taken into the room in sealed garbage bags before you load them into the car until you can launder, Packtite or visually inspect the contents.

Don't bring your luggage into the room or place it in the bathtub until you have a chance to perform a quick inspection... Report any signs of live bed bug activity to hotel management... Having a third party paying the bill should not be a factor for resolving a bed bug problem in a hotel.

3. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 9:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you insane?!! Surely anyone who has battled bed bugs would NEVER knowingly risk re-introducing themselves to bugs again. I would never stay in a hotel room if I saw any evidence of bed bugs. Check out if no other rooms are available. There are other hotels.

4. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 19:13:15
    #

Login to Send PM

After going through a bed bug infestation, there will never be no option to switch hotels. I would stay awake all night at a coffee shop if I had to! If there are bed bugs, get the hell out of there! Sounds like a real dump anyway. Convention or not, there has to be another place close by as a 2nd option. You just don't want to take that risk again. It is so not worth it and you already know that.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Feb 26 2011 19:18:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but here's what I do with locations I'm unsure about:
    - I accept that there might be BB and that I might get bit. My efforts are to keep from bringing the bugs home.
    - Travel light.
    - Have clothes designated for sitting in the hotel room or for bedtime. Optionally, consider bringing items that I don't mind throwing out.
    - Brings bags (large and smaller zip locks).

On arrival in room:
    - Disrobe and bag my "street" clothes
    - Dump all clothing in big zip lock bags
    - Place myluggage in another zip lock.
    - Place the materials I'm going to use, accessories, phone, etc in another sealed container(s).
    - Change into my "hotel room" clothes.

(If I recall, BedBugCentral.com has videos on how to inspect a hotel room)

During my stay:
    - When sitting down, when seated and when standing up, I try to be aware of what's on the seat and on me. I brush off my clothes on standing up, periodically, I give my shoes a looking over.
    - Expose my things (like computer) only when necessary and only when I'm actively using them. Reseal when done (looking over the equipmement, like cords, as I'm putting them away).
    - I keep my phone at bedside as an alarm clock, but in a zip lock.

On going out:
    - Reverse the process, but I don't bag my "hotel" clothes. I accept that they might be exposed. They should definitely not be mixed with "street" clothes.

On departure:
    - Reverse the process, securely seal or dispose of my "hotel" clothes.

On arrival home:
    - If I feel something's been compromised, it gets bagged in anticipation of laundry/dryer treatment.

I can't guarantee that this works of if it's necessary, but this is what I do. Hope it helps.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. evergreen

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Feb 27 2011 16:38:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto,

Thanks for sharing the long list of things that you do when you travel! I am going you copy it down, and hopefully, I will bring enough plastic ziploc bags for our needs.

Yeah, I was thinking that even if we were staying at a nicer hotel, I would want to be very careful. I was searching a few of the nearby hotels. There was one that got an average rating of 4 on Tripadvisor. Many of the reviews noted how clean it was. But they still had a report in Oct 2010 of bed bugs on the bedbugretistry.com. So, it's a warning to me be careful.

Thanks!

7. evergreen

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Feb 27 2011 16:44:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Toledo,
    I agree. Just insane! Last night, I was asking myself if I really want to take that risk.

Jenn28 - 21 hours ago  » 
    After going through a bed bug infestation, there will never be no option to switch hotels. I would stay awake all night at a coffee shop if I had to! If there are bed bugs, get the hell out of there! Sounds like a real dump anyway. Convention or not, there has to be another place close by as a 2nd option. You just don't want to take that risk again. It is so not worth it and you already know that.

Jenn28,
    Thanks for writing. (If I remember correctly, you are also still keeping much of your possessions in bags, so you can sympathize.) Yeah, I think it is very likely that if I find evidences of BBs at the hotel room, my husband would not feel comfortable staying either. Well, at least, he would be more understanding of my request to move to another hotel. We'll still have to attend the all-day event at the first hotel, but at least we won't be sleeping there. I'm getting a list of a few hotels that have good reviews and have not reports on bedbugregistry.com. I'm hoping that there will be a room for us when the time comes.

8. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Feb 27 2011 19:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm staying at a hotel next month that has had 4 tripadvisor reports of bed bugs. (Something new I just noticed at the top of the page is a count of how many reviews mention bed bugs, so TA is trying to help people.) There are at least 762 hotel rooms/villas, so chances are I won't get one of those rooms. I really believe the hotel treated those rooms, even though they've denied ever having bed bugs. Plus, you never know if the person who stays there the night before you arrive brought bugs with them. It's a gamble. The only thing we can do is to check things out thoroughly and follow a few precautions. But at the first sign of bed bugs, I'm out of there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714