Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

What to do about BAT bugs?

(2 posts)
  1. freetobe

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 4 2008 14:06:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I was backpacking around Canada and stayed with a friend at the end of my trip in his home. I found what looked like a bed bug on my bag in the morning. He since then found more bugs in his place, took them to an entomologist and had it identified as a bat bug. It makes sense, he used to have bats in the past, and now the bugs seem to have moved from his attic throughout the rest of his place.

When I got home, I sealed my backpack and all my stuff in large strong plastic bags. I took the clothes out and laundered them with a hot wash and a hot drier after 2 weeks, (just in case there were any eggs present.) But I still have everything else to deal with. There are little tiny places they could have hid anywhere in my stuff, like the inside of my camera, or the air slits on my battery charger, and seeing that all my belongings were in one small package while sleeping that night, (my backpack), I'm reluctant to keep and use some things. (and can't really afford to throw them out either.)

But my question, after looking online and finding almost no information on bat bugs except that they seem to actually mate with eachother, (aren't bed bugs able to reproduce without mating?), are bat bugs still a force to be reckoned with? Do I need to consider it to be like a bed bug still? I realize they prefer bats to humans, but I don't have bats.

Any information and/or online resources would be happily accepted. Thanks.

2. Erika_Girl1

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 17 2008 13:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

We just got bat bugs as well, and as far as we have been told, they are unable to surive for very long without bats. they do not travel like bed bugs, and do not multiply like them either. pest control came to identify and treat at the time what we thought were bed bugs, but bcuz they were bat bugs he put down a white powder that i have no idea is. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2105a.html is an ok website that has some info on the bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls